Flower Themed CAL - Afghans, Bookmarks, Scarf, etc.

Krystal16

OK, here's the truth...I LOVE these Crochet-alongs, but I can't start ANY new projects, because I'm planning already for Xmas presents.

I have 2 afghans to make that are the same, both are flowers. And I LOVE flowers - the other great joy in my life is gardening!

So I was wondering if anyone out there would like to join me in a "flower-themed" crochet-along? You can make bookmarks, clothing, afghans, doilies....whatever is YOUR thing.

I am making a Gerber Daisy Afghan for each of my girls - I figure I have about 60 grannies to make, then joining, then two borders...I'll be here awhile, you know?

Here's a picture...before the lightning gets me....

gerberdaisypic.jpg

Friends on the CAL:

JustRenee - Flower Scarf - DONE - see post 35

Homebody - Gerbera Daisy Afghan

Yelutci - Flower Scarf

Leslie - Gerbera Daisy Granny Purse

scc51055 - Gerbera Daisy Afghan

LadyCrochat - Les Fleurs Doily - 2 flowers done!

CrochetPrincess66 - ???

Barbara Jean - Daisies baby afghan

creative - Gerber Daisy Afghan for Mom...

Svetlana - Summer Flower Top

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i'd like to join the gerbers stitch along , can you first tell me if these squares are easy ?and where can i find the patterns?or where may i purchase the pattern?:cheer I would like to join something here:lol also im new and i have no way of showing my work off to other's .:blush Anyway i'd appreciate the info .thank you .youre doing a good job so far .Alot of friends got pregnant and i have to make alot of presents this looks colorful .:eek Thank you so much for your time and help .Theresa from new york :manyheart:hug

Krystal, I love your Gerber squares!!! You know that already. I made one daisy tonight. It seemed to take a while, was puckery and heavy. Is that how yours is? I really want to make that afghan also. I love flowers too. I am in the middle of the snowflake afghan, but I should be finished with it in another week, 2 at the most. What yarn did you use for the border? I also love it. I would love to do a CAL!

You can find the pattern here.

http://home.earthlink.net/~440me/id4.html

This CAL is for ANYTHING flowery, so it doesn't have to be the Gerber Daisy I'm doing....but for those who asked, it is a free pattern here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~440me/id4.html

I have a variety of colors in the centers and flowers, and it *is* RH Watercolor in the border of the square and used to join. There is a darker version of Watercolor called Sage Mary, too - grape & dk sage and light tan.

Kathryn - YES, mine is bulky, puckery and HEAVY. But once I joined the squares, they seem to be behaving better. It takes me about an hour to do each square (maybe more?) and with my modifications, I think they came out to be 10" instead of the 12 or so in the pattern. And I only used one color for the petals, not two.

Welcome Everyone! I'm so happy to have friends on my journey!

As a fellow flower lover:manyheart -I'm in. I've been wanting to do the flower scarf from S&B Happy Hooker. This is just the push I need. Unless I find something else flowery that tickles my fancy;) .

OOOO I just checked your scarf links & the 1st one is prettier than the S&BHH one. I think I'm already feeling tickled.

I would love to learn how to make stand-alone flowers... sort of sculptural (3-D)... that I can use on bags, hats or even as pins. I;ve been searching the internet for patterns or ideas of flowers that are semi-realistic looking. I've never been in a CAL.. not sure just what is involved???

Joan

Krystal, I liked the one color better than two for the petals also. I didn't add the leaves yet because the only green I have on hand (that I might use) is light sage and I'm not sure if that is what I want to use or if I want to mix my shades of leaves. I think I'll play around with it and see.

I want to join as I love flowers,gardening,and love that square!I am going to try it now,as I have pale mauve pink,pale green and white yarn waiting to be made into something.Maybe I will try to make a purse out of the squares for my mother's birthday next month. Leslie

JCB - I will look for some standalone flowers, but you might want to look on www.crochetpatterncentral.com and look in the directory under flowers. I thought I remembered seeing those there.

Flowers are here: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/flowers.php

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/poinsettias.php and here

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/sunflowers.php and here

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/roses.php and here

As for a CAL, all you need to do is say "you're in" and then we cheer you along on your progress, and when you're done, you post pictures!

I've made 1 square and I love it !!! It has taken me almost all day to "tweek" the pattern to my satisfaction. I'm not big on the "3dc, chain 3" holes in my afghans. (I don't like toes coming through!) So, mine has 2 rows of dc's for the background. I may put 3 rows if I'm sure I will have enough of the yarn. I don't want to run out. I think this one will turn out beautiful! It will just take longer than the others. That's ok, the finished product will be worth the effort!

I am going to take a stab at this cal. I really like your pattern it is different and not the standard granny!. I have a lot started now and hope i am not trying to do too much at once!

Ok, well, I take back what I said about having 1 square done. I frogged it back and did the background as directed for 5 rows and did 1 row of a border. I absolutely love it!!! I can't wait to start on another square. At 1 square per day I should have enough squares by next time this year. Just kidding, the next ones should go much faster being I've figured out what I'm doing.

I'd love to make a bookmark myself - just no time. I can't wait to see what each of you come up with. Have fun and good night.

JCB - I will look for some standalone flowers, but you might want to look on www.crochetpatterncentral.com and look in the directory under flowers. I thought I remembered seeing those there.

Thanks for all those links, Krystal. I had checked the CPC one on flowers, but never realized they had a whole section just for roses... wow!

Joan

Can I play Too? I LOVE:manyheart Patterns with flowers in them, and I have downloaded a whole file of them! Now would be a great opportunity to make some ! I love these crochet along because you get to know the other woman in the crochet along a Little better then if they just say "Beautiful scarf !I love the color you chose "etc! So,three cheers for flowers!:cheer :cheer :cheer Now let's get started on crocheting:hook !

Ladycrochat, Please do (come play with us)! The more the merrier!! So, what are you going to make? Hard decision, I know!

I'm coming along nicely. I have 2 squares done. I know that's not much, but it took me forever to pick my colors and figure out the pattern. (Plus, I'm in the middle of the Snowflake afghan and I am trying to only work on it when I am alone. That doesn't happen very often. That's the price you pay when your kids live so close to you!!! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, back to the hook! Square are a great thing to make in this heat!

I have 7 squares done, and I have a goal to make one each night. My 7YO daughter helped pick out the pattern and colors for her afghan, but I'm only working on it now when she's in bed. I'm hoping she forgets about it (one can hope, right?) and it will be a surprise for her & her sister (who is also getting one, but a full size) for Xmas. I have my "daytime" projects, plus just got some wonderful yarn as a present and my fingers are ITCHING to start into them....

I looked through all my books, but I didn't find the "right" pattern, but I think I decided to use that yarn (it is SOOO nice - Bernat Denimstyle) for my OWN afghan for my bed - a Prairie Star.

As for joining, PLEASE - everyone who wants to can join!!!

Anyone else making progress?

Archived