Flower Themed CAL - Afghans, Bookmarks, Scarf, etc.

Krystal16

I am here, but I have been slacking off:blush , I didn't do ANY crocheting on my doily today and I am ashamed of myself! So I will just have to put in some time tomarrow! I saw the doily that I am making on Annie's Attic today and I couldn't beleive it....maybe more people will join up but even if they don't we are still good here!:ghug

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progressing along, I have just started on the outer ring of flowers! But I need 20 of them and I can make one flower in a half hour so this will take a bit of time....still I know there is no rush!

Oh, I really want to join! This will be my first CAL. :yay

Last evening I started a new afghan called "Fresh as a Daisy". It is in the leaflet titled "Our Best Afghans A to Z".

I'm using Caron worsted acrylic yarn.

It will be 12 squares by 9 squares - a total of 108. I have 16 done already. :clap

This will be a gift for a friend who is expecting her first baby, due in March.

Welcome, Barbara Jean!

I'll add you to the list, of course!

I have my LAST MAM strip to do today, then assembly tomorrow. Of course, I am going to run out of yarn! I forgot that I shipped one of my RHSS black skeins to Coats & Clark, and that was to be for this MAM. DH will stop tonight to get the extra skein if I need it. UGH!

The Gerber Daisy afghan, I have decided that it will be TOO heavy to do for the full sized bed. I have been messing around with my own design for a daisy-looking pattern that's more like a kid would have drawn it (y'know, the circle in the middle and the rounded petals?) but I couldn't figure out how to neatly make it look like a square. Well, I was doing a new washcloth that has a different flower in the center (same number of petals, though) and it turns it into a hex (which I could do) and THEN it turned the hex into a square!!!! OMG! That's exactly what I needed! So, after this MAM is done, I'm going to be tweaking that pattern to make the squares for my 2nd daughter's afghan. They will both be flowers and the same colors, but different designs.

I am so excited about that! (I think I would have gone bonkers doing 80 gerber daisy squares anyway!)

What's the status on the rest of you?

Homebody, how is your Gerbera Daisy Afghan coming along?

Yelutci, is your Flower Scarf getting longer and longer?

Leslie, is your Gerbera Daisy Granny Purse ready for gift-giving?

scc51055, is your Gerbera Daisy Afghan progressing?

LadyCrochat, how is this last right on your Les Fleurs Doily doing? Is it taking FOREVER? Keep at it, you'll get there!

CrochetPrincess66, did you ever tell me what you were making? Oh jeez, I don't remember! I'll have to go looking....

Barbara Jean, we'd love to see a picture of your afghan in progress.

Leisure Arts makes a booklet called "99 Floral Motifs to Crochet." For folks who are good at picking up motifs and thinking up their own backgrounds, borders, connections between pieces, etc.. it's money well spent IMO. :) I bought it, but I fear that I need more crochet experience before I can get creative enough to make proper use of it. Anyhow, lots of pretty flowers inside. Daisies, sunflowers, violets, roses, etc. :flower

Well I've got the flowers done-finished off all the purple velvet yarn. Now I have to decide what to use for the leaves. I'm having a hard time picking a green that I like with the dark purple. I may have to break out the color wheel that I bought at the Homeschool convention "for the kids science and art".

Have you seen the RHSS light sage? It's a nice muted green - in my mind it would look good with a dark purple. They also have a dark sage that goes well in the Sage Mary with the dark purple there, too.

Can we see pictures??????? Oh, we're so desperate to see pictures!

Anyone else out there, you're still welcome to join us!

I am SOOOO glad you couldn't resist :devil WELCOME!!!!

I'll add you to the list so we know who to check up on when we don't hear from you!

May I suggest RHSS "cornmeal" as a great color for the center of the daisy? It's a really nice yellow!

Krystal, Sorry, I've decided not to make it at this time. I hate the RH yarn I bought for it (hard & itchy!) and I'm not real crazy about all the holes. I've got a few other afghans going right now and I am contemplating what other yarn to use and how to change the pattern so I have less holes.

Hello Flower lovers! I am going along nicely on my doily....I hope to be able to post a few photos in progress for you...I agree that it is nice to see how the projects are coming along....I hope everyone is having as much fun doing this as I am, and I want to know how you are coming along too Krystal! Also a great big :welcome to creativepassage and Barbara Jean....Of course I am looking forward to seeing your work too!

Krystal that sounds like a great idea you have -changing the shapes of the motifs for the other afghan....I was wondering How you were going to tell them apart, I know how possesive kids can be about stuff like that...I thought maybe you would have to do a different color sequence or something...anyway awesome idea!

th_IMG_2355.jpg

th_IMG_2356.jpg

Here is my flower WIP. :think I'm imagining weaving the green leaves & vines the length of the flowers plus some.:think I've decided to use a couple of different greens together to get the thickness & look I'm trying for.

OK- I showed mine-now let's see yours!

Oh, Kathryn, so sorry to hear you're disappointed with the pattern. When I get one of my NEW daisies to work out, I'll post that - see what you think?

Kimberly - that is absolutely stunning! As for showing mine - well, there's not much new and different to show, so I'll wait til I can get back to this one and get another row accomplished.

Still sewing together that MAM....what was I thinking with BLACK? Oh, yeah - it's the color the BRIDE TO BE chose....I hate whipstitching, but doing it on black is even worse.

Only one more day....only one more day....

Hi, If it is not too late, I would love to join this CAL. I just love flowers and anything that has to do with them. I started on an afghan that was different hexagons put together to look like flowers but that seems like it may take awhile to do....and....I fell in love with the first flower scarf pattern posted and definitely want to make that for my daughter. She is hopelessly addicted to scarves (and purses). I just bought a purse pattern book on Ebay and maybe I can adapt one of the patterns with flowers to make her a matching purse too...just have to wait for it to come in the mail.

Krystal....your gerber afghan is just beautiful! I love the colors you chose.

Debbie...your doily is just stunning. I really wish I could work with the thread but my fingers will not cooperate.

Barbara Jean....your afghan is too cute...I love the daisies and the colors.

Welcome Wildflwr! If Anyone should be in this CAL it should be you with a name like that!:lol As promised, I have a photo of my doily in progress....here it is

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DCAM0039.jpg

So, What do you all think? I still have eight flowers to make, then I have to join them to the center section, and then I have to do the edging!

I love the blanket you are making Barbara Jean....that will be gorgeous when it is done!

I am sorry to see Kathryn go! I will miss having her here with us!

And Yelutci, that scarf is WONDERFUL !I LOVE purple! Can't you take one of the flowers to the yarn store to hold it next to various green yarns until you find the one you like?

Welcome Wildflwr! If Anyone should be in this CAL it should be you with a name like that!:lol As promised, I have a photo of my doily in progress....here it is

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DCAM0039.jpg

Oh, that is beautiful!! Did you see the Lilacs and Lace doily when it was the free pattern of the day at Annie's Attic?

No, I must have missed it! But Rachael is always putting the free Annie's Attic patterns on her site, so I will go there to look for it! Thanks for the heads up!

Alright everyone!! I have an announcement to make.....I designed my FIRST pattern! In desperation, I couldn't find what I wanted for my 2nd daughter's afghan. I was going to have them the same (gerber daisy) but the 2nd afghan is a FULL (not a twin) and it would have been SOOO heavy. So, I designed this square...

It's still a bit rough around the edges, so now I'm going to make a chart (not instructions - I can't make sure my design has the same number on each side that way) and work the kinks out of it. What do you think?

It will be in the same colors as my Gerber Daisy afghan (first post) but this design. Criticism is welcome as well.

flower.jpg

Well, it's just over 9 1/2", so I guess it could be considered a 10" square?

I have to get it to the point that I can have someone else understand my directions! I've got a FEW (like 30) more squares to do, so it's not like I won't have the opportunity!

When I get it that far, maybe I'll have you guys test it. I'm thinking I might either submit it or sell it. Never done that before, but I figure if *I* couldn't find something like it, maybe someone else wants one, too?

Archived