Flower Themed CAL - Afghans, Bookmarks, Scarf, etc.

Krystal16

I think I am going to start small...there is a very pretty doily that is called "Les Fleurs", I am not that fantastic at working in thread, so it will be a bit of a challenge, but hey; with all my friends here supporting me, I am sure I can do it! here is the pattern I will try first

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/Les_Fleurs.pdf

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, all - good news! I finally have the last color for my flowers. I have a light grey-blue, lilac, rose-color, and my yellow flowers will be in cornmeal. I saw it in the store (RH) and HAD to have it, but didn't have more coupons, so left it there....can't wait to get the next square done!

Ok, so I started my doily last night, and I thought "Hey, I'll be done in no time! This is only a smallish doily! I'll make LOTS of flowery things in this CAL!" In the past I have made afghans that cover queen sized beds -so I wasn't concerned........well I guess this doily is a bit harder than I thought.. I chose to make my flowers out of yellow, light blue, lilac and hot pink.....the doily itself will be in white and medium green...so far I have two flowers made and attatched....that represents one and a half hour's work!!!:eek , I still have 26 flowers to make...I am hoping the work goes faster once I learn the pattern by heart.....My camera is charging...so I will show you my slow but steady progress sometime later today.....

Ok, Here is what I have so far....The pattern tells me to make eight of these flowers in different colors and attach them in a ring first, then I have to work the inside part of the doily, I am not sure why, but I guess they have their reasons!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DCAM0097.jpg

Krystal, how is your afghan coming along? I see from your on line profile that you are from New York! I was born there too! I lived all my life out on Long Island before I got married and moved to Morocco.....whereabouts in New York are you?

Renee,I won't laugh at your flowers in thread if you don't laugh at mine!...I have recently (like YESTERDAY), discovered that they are a lot harder to make then they look! It takes a bit of time to get used to working with smaller hooks and thread I think....

I love flowers!! :manyheart Especially roses. I'm sure I can find something to crochet that is "flowery". I'll search my books for something and let you guys know what I'm giong to do. Thanks for starting this CAL.

Kim :princess

Debbie - I'm from south of Buffalo - waaaaay on the other side of the state! Right now we're suffering from the lake humidity....90* and 100% humidity.

I have 8 squares done...but I have the RH Cornmeal in hand now so will be making a yellow one tonight. What *is* it about a new yarn or new pattern that just makes it that much more exciting. My camera is on the fritz, but once I get that working and some yellow flowers, I'll start joining and take a pic. I like to do stuff as I go, can't STAND to join, join, join, weave, weave, weave....

I like those thread flowers, Debbie - way to go!

You keep going with your new "Cornmeal" and whenever you get your camera working post your photo....one afghan would be a lot, but you are doing two!! :eek That is rather daunting! But be sure we will keep you inspired!:cheer :cheer :cheer

cornmeal is what all of my centers are. It would make a pretty flower also. I only have 3 squares completed, but I am almost finished with my snowflake one. I just hope I don't run out of yarn!!!

I'm busy working on a flower scarf-purple velour I found a thrift store while on vacation in Clearlake, CA. I've got to find some green for leaves to go with it.

ooh, purple velour and green flowers - how pretty!

Kathryn, you are a machine! My time is severely restricted by 4 kids, and then I can't work on this until she is asleep. I think I am going to join one row (4 squares) for her tonight instead of a new square. I just have to go back and find my post to remember my "mistake" joining technique!

Won't get much done tomorrow, I'm afraid - I'll be gone all day. Maybe I'll take the yarn with me in the car. At least there's air conditioning in there!

I started a preemie blanket today - all of my WIPs are going to take a long time to finish, so that will help my need for completion. I'm such a fool sometimes! :rofl

So, do any of you find C'villers also have a garden? I have several - veggie and flowers, but the bugs are out en masse this year, especially the japanese beetles and slugs. I've done everything else, now it's time for the nasty spray...it's the only thing that gets them. Now, if it will only NOT rain for a day so I can do that....

I've been using scraps of yellow, tan and brown for my centers. I'm usually MUCH more fussy when it comes to colors, but I'm trying to relax my need for uniformity a little!

Krystal, No, no garden. I did that years ago, but we have so many good fruit and vegetable stands around and I'm just not blessed with a green thumb.

We are supposed to reach almost 100 degrees today. I will be inside crocheting! Just too hot to do anything else!

So, how is everyone progressing?

I have 10 squares done, and enough of each color that I've begun to put together some squares and hope to get 2 rows put together, then take a pic. It's unbearably hot and humid here, and very few people actually have A/C, so it's not like I'm going to go out and start another afghan!

OK, ladies - let's see what you've got!

I have completed the inner part of my doily, and the inner ring of flowers, I am now working on the middle part of the doily, I will post pictures tomorrow, as it is now night, and dark, and my camera does not have a flash thing so I need sunlight to get a good photo....working slowly but steadily!:hook

Great job, Debbie!

I have joined two rows of my Gerber Daisy Afghan (4x2) but it bumps and bubbles horribly. I'm not a great "frogger" so I'm hoping that after all are joined and is washed and dried it will tame down..... The square itself is pretty wavy, but I was hoping that joining it would fix all that.

BUT, I did find a nice subtle pink to add - I wasn't really liking my pink that I had in there. I'll just sorta mix it in....

I found a nice light rose stashed away that I think I might use. I also have a pink and a darker rose. I have a blue and a lavender one finished. I am also considering a purple I have on hand. I don't think I will piece any together until I have them finished so I can see where I want them.

Debbie, I can't wait to see your pics!

Krystal, I also had 4 children. I know how busy you are!! Today is my husbands birthday so the gang was all over. ?-Do you think the bumps & bubbles are from piecing it or the squares themselves?

Everyone talking about all the lovely colors that they are using for this CAL is great! It is an extremely colorful Crochet along! I know what you mean about kids needing your time....I have 4 of my own and 4 step-kids, when they are all together.....well, we are even bigger then "The Brady Bunch"! My camera :photo is charging and I promise there will be photos today:yes

As promised here are two shots of the doily I am working on...it is Called the "Les Fleurs" doily....and you can get the pattern here

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/Les_Fleurs.pdf

here are the shots of mine

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DCAM0003-1.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DCAM0004-1.jpg

Please do not mind the tails that still have to be woven in, I do that last....I still have a long way to go as you can see!

Debbie, your doily is beautiful - what a centerpiece that will make!

Kathryn, I'm not sure what it's due to. I will whipstitch the couple I have here and see how it goes, because I used my "mistake" joining method, and it *is* a bit heavy. If those lie flatter, I'll frog my joining and just whipstitch them together, see if it helps.

I didn't get my square done last night - too much else to do!

Archived