barbie questions

My mother crocheted and sewed a bunch of outfits for my barbies and other dolls. she even made a plastic canvas bed room set for both my sisiter and I. I still have most of what she made in a tub in the closet. My niece will probably get them soon.

I soooo had that plastic canvas furniture too! My mom went nuts making it, and I ended up with the living room, dining room, bedroom, and even patio furniture! Oh, if only I had a girl......

I have both Barbie's. The original style body, and the newer one (not the My Scene,those are different, and have big heads) with the flatter, wider waist. Clothes that fit the original body will most likely not fit the newer waistline.

Why do I crochet for Barbie's? I like to design the outfits! I guess I've never gotten over playing with Barbie's when I was younger. I do crochet for other dolls, too, and crochet dolls themselves. It's the kid in me! :D

Sally

• 3 weeks later...

I like crocheting Barbie clothes because I never had many clothes for my dolls when I was growing up - usually just whatever the doll was wearing when my parents bought it. Instead I was happy with paper dolls which were more affordable. Wish I'd known how to crochet back then.

• 1 year later...

I don't care for Barbie and many of the other dress up dolls out today, but I made a teddy bear for my daughter for Christmas and designed her whole dress, undies, and hat. I plan on making more outfits for it once my daughter gets a bit older to dress the bear herself. I agree, it's a lot cheaper and also pretty quick.

I haven't crocheted for Barbie (as yet), but I did do some for my daughter's Kelly doll equivalent (4" Barbie's little sister) - because there are no clothes available to buy and 1.) my daughter's doll came with a short set and no undies - her friends' had dresses and undies, when they undressed the dolls (as they ALWAYS do) one of the girls said my dd's doll was "rude" because she wasn't wearing undies - "Mummy, make Harriet (the name she gave the doll) some undies, please... can you crochet her some?" and so it goes...

:')

Marika

I've never crocheted barbie clothes but I will once my dd get big enough for them. My grandma used to sew clothes for mine when I was little and it was great. They were cheaper than store bought but they were also originals and no one else had clothes like my barbie did! That was a big plus.

my dd prefers her baby dolls to barbies, which is fine by me...the culture seems to try to grow girls up too fast IMHO...back to the topic...her favorite baby "Baby Sara" she named her, got a whole crocheted wardrobe for Christmas...I saw a couple storebought outfits that "fit" for the most part, but they're hard to put on and off and look cheaply made...the crochet outfits I made (PJs, dresses, coat...pillow and blankie to co-ordinate with pjs) are definitely holding up better and are easier to use. I have a few fashion doll outfits I've downloaded, but they're of the "sit on the shelf and look pretty" variety, and I don't have one yet, or a place to put her right now either.

One nice thing about having dolls and doll houses, you can turn all those gauge and pattern swatches into rugs and bedspreads :-)

I can rember when the changed barbie's 'unrealistic body' - it was big news on the morning shows - shorter legs, smaller bust, bigger waist, to reflect a more 'real body' to supposedly keep little girls from developing image disorders. Some college research studies led up to it, about the same time other studies about excessive dieting and such in young teens was coming to the attention of the general public. There was some stuff about GIJoe making little boys violent, too.

Now.... I'm kinda with you... I wouldn't want to crochet Barbie clothes either.... BUT when I was young ... my mom and grandma crocheted, knitted and sewed my Barbie, Francie, and Ken dolls clothes and I was the envy of all my friends. My dolls had designer clothes! I can remember her leoperd coat, hat and shoes to match that my Grandma made and a beautiful knitted red ball gown for Francie and a way cool sweater for Ken that where some of my favorites!

I sewed my first outfit when I was 4 years old. I made a bunch of circles from cloth that were smaller and smaller in diameter. Then I cut out the center from all of them to make a waistline. Then I handsewed through all the layers to hold them together. I was trying to make a tutu for my doll. I couldn't understand all the fuss made over it, but now I realize what a genius I was at crafting at such a young age.:lol

I have made several Barbie dresses, one for each holiday actually. If you go to this link http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17869&highlight=barbie+dresses (I hope it works), this is just one that I did. And now that I have a grand-daughter on the way, I guess she'll be the one that gets them:manyheart I may have to post pics of the rest of my dresses I made at some point, but this one is by far my favorite.

cheryl that is downright beautiful you did a fantastic job way to go girl:hug:hug:hug

Archived