Tote bags for yarn

SDmom

I am not sure if this is where i should post this question or not.

What does everyone use to carry their projects around in outside of the house?

Thanks

I just use a plain old tote bag. Nothing fancy....just big enough to hold my yarn, hooks, patterns and whatnots. It has two fabric handles and is made of cotton. it's about 16 inches square.

I use lots of different types of totes, depending on several things, including the size of the project. If it is just a pair of socks or a dishcloth or something else tiny, I might just use a small paper gift bag. If it's a larger project, then I have several cloth totes that I can choose from. If it's a huge project, I actually carry two bags. One with just what I need at the moment, and another with the extra skeins of yarn, hooks, needles, etc. that I leave in the back seat of my car to replenish my bag with.

For my knitting, I have an awesome Old Navy Tote. For my crochet, I have a tote from L.L. Bean and all the hooks and notions are in a Vera Bradley zipper pouch., My cross stitch has a small Vera Bradley Bag, and my beads have a similar Vera Bradley.

I LOVE Vera!

Donna

Janelle,

It is funny you asked that because that is just what I have been working on..I seem to have had this problem of having one bag and keep taking that project out and putting it somewhere else and forgeting about it ..so now I'm making bags ..I have been trying to figure out what size works best .

This one I have filled with projects that I am working on right now and that are with yarn.It is pretty big...:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/goldkeeper1/CRAFTS/IMG_5671.jpg

.. I have been making other bags but not so big ;) I have tons of fabric from quilting and vintage fabric that came from my mother ,that I thought I can use to make bags with a twist.:hook I have been crocheting the straps or handles..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/goldkeeper1/CRAFTS/IMG_5992.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/goldkeeper1/CRAFTS/IMG_5982.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/goldkeeper1/CRAFTS/IMG_5963.jpg

I have lots of tote bags that I use and seem to keep buying more when I see one that I just cant resist! My favorite one though that I use most often is one I bought several years ago from the Salvation Army. It is an old one from the 40s with woven material and wooden handles. I just love it!

Doreen

I have a very pretty pink leather tote that I use to carry just a skein or two, but when I'm travelling or have a serious project, I use this

79527.jpg.fpx?qlt=70&wid=144&cvt=jpeg

It's amazing. Room for 3 skeins, all the hooks needles etc. I carried it on the plane when I travelled recently. Had my project, 7 skeins and 2 balls of crochet thread, my hooks and scissors, my books, my plane tickets, my purse AND a pillow. The bag is GREAT!

I have one bag I got from Lion Brand, a big zippered cloth bag from the purse section of Walmart for $5, but my favorite is a zippered tote I got from the Lancome counter with a freebie giveaway. It's perfect for medium-sized projects and looks nice enough to tote around anywhere.

I was given a Lionbrand bag by my Secret Pal - Bonnie. It is fantastic as it holds soooooo much. I am working on a striped babies blanket at the moment that has got 4 colours in it, so I need at least 5 balls in the bag at any one time, as well as hooks, scissors, pattern etc. It zips up and keeps everything really clean

Always seem to have many projects going :eek - at least, eventually, they get completed. :devil I use whatever tote bag is available at the time. Also keep all the freebie bags from Este Lauder when they have the free stuff with purchase. I use the cutest little zippered pouch for my hooks - was originally for make up brushes. If I am taking something small to work in case I have time at lunch, I will usually put it in a zippered plastic bag to keep everything together and keep it from getting dirty if I drop it.

For travel, I try and take small things to work on, usually in zippered plastic bags. I have one purse that doesn't look that big, but it holds several skeins of fun fur, hook, pattern, etc. Also a book to read and the usual purse stuff.

Ana, those are some great looking bags. I especially like the blue & white one. :cheer

Lynn, yours is really cool, too. :clap What kind of thread/yarn did you make it out of? Does it stretch much?

Great job, both of you. I just sit around and think "I should make this" :blush while people like you two actually do it. :hook

• 2 weeks later...

I have a large canvas tote bag, almost the size of a beach bag. However, because my purse is too small to carry a project in and I don't like to carry two bags, I normally stuff my purse in this tote bag along with my project. That way, I can carry the tote bag in someplace like a doctor's office where I can crochet, then pull my purse out to use and not have to deal with a big bag when I go someplace where I won't be crocheting. I'm always careful not to leave my tote out in full view in my car so someone won't try to break in for it though.

Archived