My first tote bag in plastic

Ladycrochat

Hello everyone....here is a tote bag that I made from plastic bags...there are over 150 plastic bags here and it really is pretty strong! The work went fast....but it took time to collect all the plastic bags. Still I like doing this environmentally friendly kind of project!

nice job! Can't find the dark blue bags around here anymore, everyone is back to clear, white or tan ... I'd like to try one of these as well someday.

Too many ideas, too little time ...

VERY nice....I'd like to try that some time. We're stuck with white and tan..acutally I think there's yellow. The local convenience store gives us black...and the pet store varies...but it would take me YEARS to collect the pet store bags.

Nice work!

Thank you everyone.....and for anyone who is just thinking of doing this....I suggest that you jump right in there and give it a try....Do something small, like a small bag to hang outside for your clothespins (they ARE plastic after all!)...Once you do one of them you are hooked (pun intended:devil )....you will see!:yes :yes

Not at all....you can add on garbage bags....newspaper bags, even large shopping bags from stores like toys r us or sears.......really you just start looking at plastic differently.......especially when it is just THERE all the time that you are even throwing them away! And even if you made it in light blue that could be real cute too! Great for wet/damp towels or swim suits from the beach or pool....no matter what color it is! If you try it I guarentee you will not regret it!:manyheart

Love your bag, would you have a pattern that you could share for that one, or do you follow a yarn bag pattern. Also what size crochet hook did you use and is it done by cutting strips, if so how many strips do you crochet together. I have been wanting to make one of these for a while, i can get plain white bags and also a nice blue one that would make up nice.

Thank you everyone....SandyAnne, if you want to know how I made it the info is in the CAL thread for plastic bags.....look at the last post I made there...on the last page.....there is a lot of info there.......I started with a foundation chain of about 12 inches long....the number of stitches is not important....single crochet across the foundation chain, but only work into ONE loop of the foundation chain...when you get to the end work 3 scs in the last stitch and now work along the other side of the foundation chain, again only into one loop....when you reach the beginning do 3 stitches in the end most stitch but now work in both loops...continue like this making 3 scs in the last stitches on each end for 3 or 4 rows....until you get an oval cup shape beginning to form...now just crochet straight through do not increase any more until it is as long as you want....the info on how to make a handle are available on several patterns, and you will want to choose the one you like best....hope this helps....really try this...you will LOVE it!

Thanks Debbie, sorry to be a pain but where is the CAL thread , i am still not familiar with all the threads here but will go look again.:yes

No problem at all here is the link....you can go to forum homes and just go down the left hand side of the screen reading the forum catagories....CALS are near the top by Crochet for Charity

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27457

I am sorry if I was not very clear they are called crochat alongs or CALS for short....I am more than happy to help show you around ....it is a large forum and takes time to explore everything here....I am so happy that I found this place and I know that everyone else here feels the same! Feel free to hollar for help any time you need it!

Yeah, blue is hard to find nowadays. Wal-Mart is white at least around here it is. Dollar General is yellow. Maybe we should put a list of who gives out what colored bags? :hook

Thanks Debbie,

I am looking it up now, i joined this forum some months ago and then got sidetracked but am so glad i am back here now as Crochet is a big, big passion of mine, so it is going to be great to see what everyone else is doing and share pictures of the dolls i dress and all the other crochet goodies i love to make.:c9

Hockeymom...I think the baby blue bags would make a very pretty bag. Why don't you just try one? The bags are fun to make and work up fast. They're fun because you can look and tell that they are made from plastic bags but the writing and pictures on the bags just make the end product look tweedy.

Yup Redhead Deb is right, see you can tell the people who were doing the crochet along for plastic bags.....we talk about stores not by what they sell, or what is on sale but WHAT COLOR BAGS THEY HAVE!!!:rofl ...Believe me if you get started on these things you will LOVE doing them....you will NEVER throw away a useable bag again...I say useable because I draw the line at plastic bags that had raw fish or meat in them:eek with salmonella, bird flu and e-coli:fever , even I would chuck the bag.......better safe than sorry....there will always be another plastic bag coming down the pike!:yes :yes

Archived