Rag rugs

perigrine

Here are a few rag rugs I created in April. Sadly, I haven't yet got a picture of Dads Memorial Rug (I was in the process of making a rug when I recieved news that he had died, so decided to make it a memorial one)

oval rug

granny square rug

two oval rugs - dark picture

Monique,

your rag rugs are REALLY nice.:cheer i did several about 10 yrs ago. still using them.

would llike to make some more for my married daughter, but am having trouble finding the CUT material. ( that's what i used before) & i can't remember WHERE

i got it back then. i just hate to pay S&H on lot of material if i don't have

to.

again you did a great job on yours. judy:clap

Monique, those are great rugs. How do you make them? I am very tempted by them. Can you pm me?

:hug :hug Extra hugs for this coming weekend. I love your rugs! especially the granny square. Those are on my "to try" list. Maybe I can get my kids to cut some fabric strips for me this summer.:hook

I've been hankering to make a rag rug myself, and started saving clothes last year as they wore out to make one. Yours are gorgeous! :clap

My condolences on your dad--mine died almost 20 years ago, and I, too, still miss him every day. But we have special guys watching out for us from above now. Patty

Your rugs are very nice. Please give us more info. It sounds like there might me an interest in a Rug CAL. Lets find out.

All of the pictures rugs were created from old sheets gathered from a thrift store, and mostly given away because the middle was worn! No good for sheets, but perfect for rugs. Oh, there is a valance in there too.

The first rugs I made, that weren't in the photos, were made from bits of old clothes that I loved, but knew I wouldn't wear, and quilt covers that have been waiting to be mended for over five years - you know, they are still 'good' but somehow not worth the time to fix. The clothes ones drove me up the wall.

Valances and ruffled quilt covers were the best, because the ruffle was mostly in one long piece. I tore mine, coz I found out the hard way that cutting with scissors hurts after half a quilt cover. I tied them together as I tore them and rolled them into balls. Any loose ends were woven in with a smaller G hook. To make them I used a 11.5 mm hook (don't know what that is in US terms..O maybe?). The technique for crocheting them was very different to how I crochet with yarn though!

If you need any more info, just ask.

Love those rag rugs! You inspire me to start saving old clothes and things to make one! I think making them from old clothes is nicer because it is like a crazy quilt....you can point to this and say "that came from my graduation dress"....or "This was the shirt that your Dad was wearing on the day that you were born" They are a way of keeping a family's history and memories alive...My condolences on the loss of your father, I too have lost mine....After a time the horrible ache will fade away and only the good memories will be left:hug Your Dad wouldn't want to see you so sad.

Love those rag rugs! You inspire me to start saving old clothes and things to make one! I think making them from old clothes is nicer because it is like a crazy quilt....you can point to this and say "that came from my graduation dress"....or "This was the shirt that your Dad was wearing on the day that you were born" They are a way of keeping a family's history and memories alive...My condolences on the loss of your father, I too have lost mine....After a time the horrible ache will fade away and only the good memories will be left:hug Your Dad wouldn't want to see you so sad.

I ould love to make a *thing* out of some of the kids things they have grown out of - something like a quilt or afghan. They seem to have had a lot of things with pictures on the front. I'm just hesitant to cut them up in case I wreck them. I'm the same way about cutting up photos for scrap booking too. I might get it done one day though (probably when I re-learn how to thread a sewing machine)

Thanks for the heartfelt support over my Dad's passing. I felt a bit odd decicating a rag rug to him, but I am slowly coming to realise that it isn't what it was that means something, but the feelings and time that went into it.

Archived