Easy Contemporary "Tween" Poncho

kaycrochay

Contemporary "Tween" Poncho

I've just finished a poncho for my daughter, creating a pattern that is a "knock-off" of one she had seen in the store, and loved. I promise soon I will get a picture up, am just waiting for my camera to arrive... I'm going to work one in worsted weight to finish a size 6-8 and will post that pattern too, once finished. I do apologize, this is the first pattern I've tried to write out, so if it doesn't make sense or if you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

The pattern was really simple, and all told took me 2-3 days to finish. The finished size fits my daughter who wears 12-14 in tops, and would be really easy to adjust to fit any size at all.

10 oz. Microspun (sport wt.) in Ebony

5 oz. Microspun Periwinkle

H/8.5 crochet hook

Pattern Stitch: Ch 1, sc in ch 1 space of previous row, sk sc in previous row, ch 1. (Basically it's ch 1, sc in ch 1 space, skip 1, ch 1, sc in ch 1 space, skip 1, ch 1, ...). Ch 2 at end of row, and turn.

With Ebony, ch 121.

Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook, *ch 1, skip 1 l ch, sc* , continue **ch 1, skip 1 l ch, sc* to end, ch 2 and turn.

Row 2-6: Continue working pattern stitch as in row 1, changing to Periwinkle on the ch 2.

Row 7-8: Work pattern stitch in Periwinkle, changing to Ebony on the ch 2.

Row 9-10: Work pattern stitch in Ebony, changing to Periwinkle on the ch 2.

Row 11-12: Work pattern stitch in Periwinkle, changing to Ebony on the ch 2.

Row 13-18: Work pattern stitch in Ebony, changing to Periwinkle on the ch 2.

Row 19-20: Work pattern stitch in Periwinkle, changing to Ebony on the ch 2.

Row 21-30: Work pattern stitch in Ebony, changing to Periwinkle on the ch 2.

Row 31-32: Work pattern stitch in Periwinkle, changing to Ebony on the ch 2.

Row 33-34: Work pattern stitch in Ebony, changing to Periwinkle on the ch 2.

Row 35-36: Work pattern stitch in Periwinkle, changing to Ebony on the ch 2.

Row 37-42: Work pattern stitch in Ebony, changing to Periwinkle on the ch 2.

Row 43-44: Work pattern stitch in Periwinkle, changing to Ebony on the ch 2.

Row 45-54: Work pattern stitch in Ebony, changing to Periwinkle on the ch 2.

Row 55-56: Work pattern stitch in Periwinkle, changing to Ebony on the ch 2.

Row 57-58: Work pattern stitch in Ebony, do not chain 2, finish off.

Repeat above pattern for second piece. Using the following diagram, assemble the two pieces of the poncho making sure to match the stripe pattern.

Poncho_assembly.jpg

Cut approximately 550-600 pieces for fringe. For this poncho, I used 2/3 Ebony, and 1/3 Periwinkle for the fringe, and looped 3 pieces every other stitch around the bottom edge of the poncho.

Again, I will get a photo up as soon as possible. I also look forward to meeting everyone here

:coffee

Wow, good question! The "model" is at grandma's until tomorrow, along with said Poncho, but I will measure it as soon as she gets back. I do think it ended up roughly 2 to 1, short side was just a little over half of the size of the long side. Does that make sense? It'll make sense as soon as I get those measurments lol.

Kayla

Guest SamplerLady

Thanks, Kayla. I sort of started one using an afghan hook yesterday. I probably won't finish that one, but will definately make a "regular" one. :))

I think I mentioned somewhere in the pattern (I'm always forgetting stuff :faint ) that I used the Lion Brand "Microspun" yarn, kind of like a sport weight maybe?

Anyway, my point in telling you this now (get to it lady) is that I don't think the results would have been nearly as soft, or as "flow-ey" if I had used a heavier yarn, like worsted weight.

I had been looking forward to using the Microspun since I first saw it in the store, and while the results are very beautiful, it wasn't the easiest yarn in the world (to work with that is). Don't get me wrong, I didn't find it nearly as difficult to use as some of the really "furry" and nubby yarns, but the twists kept wanting to come untwisted, usually in mid stitch.

That said, I don't think it'll hold me back much from using it again, it resulted in such a nice product, but I may try to find another similar weight yarn that is twisted a little tighter in the future. It has definitely converted me from the "World of Worsted" at any rate.

Thanks for all the comments about the poncho, my daughter and I both have really enjoyed reading them!!

Kayla

very nice pic Kayla! I too find that while working with microspun the yarn has the tendency to split. But I just love the yarn to pieces. I bought as much as I could when I moved back to India as I can't get anything like it here:( . So I just keep fondling my yarn without really working it for the fear that I would use up the yarn and then what do i do? lol:)

Hugs

Vims

Guest Cupacoffee

Thank you, Rachel! That big light bulb just came on inside my head after I read your post. That makes so much sense. Actually, you could make a poncho using any stitch you choose..just make the two rectangles and join! It doesn't get much easier than that! Thanks so much..I appreciate it. I'm off to conquer the poncho!!!!:clap

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived