Slight Rant...Need advice

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just barely read this thread. I am impressed at your finished squares. I'm glad you didn't give up in frustration. Those definitely do not look like beginner patterns to me! Good job at hanging in there and creating something. I hope you are proud of it!

I have a sort of measuring stick I use for, well, 'most everything I have a choice about:

Does it cost me more than it brings me?

When it gets to this point, then I move on.

I quit a crochet class because the teacher never prepared ahead of time, among other things.

I don't believe we owe it to others to give explanations. I try to explain only when it relates to "keeping my own side of the street clean". A good teacher will ask for feedback and make use of it.

There's my two cents. I wish you much courage and victory!!!

AlyBlu, I'll be thinking of you :hug . I hesitated about writing what I did, but I'm glad it's helpful. It's so easy to write down something that's true, and it takes such courage and deliberate diligence to be true to what is true.

:)

As for the sizing, you'll get plenty of help here. Some you can block but some you may need to add boarders to. You can do this and we'll be here to help you. :hug

I agree...many of us can help you with suggestions for borders, hook size, etc., so you can finish assembling your masterpiece. Because it IS a masterpiece: uniquely your own creation!:manyheart

I am a pretty forward moving person, so I would not hesitate to ask for my money back. I would tell her that I have no problem paying for my supplies, yarn, book, hook etc., but given her level of inexperience and lack of expertice, the fact that all other student's have dropped out, the fact that you have been working on this project for 11 months, (and use all of the feedback that you have gotten here,) etc., in addition to the fact that you feel that you have been more than patient and forgiving, you want your money back period. Let her know that before she starts charging for classes, she may want to take a few herself and teach a few friends before she tries charging to teach students who expect some bang for their buck. After all you paid to be taught not to teach yourself.

In addition to everything else, it sounds like there may be some legal issues here.

Given that she is not working at a LYS, Michaels, Joanne's, etc., (who only use people they have checked out and/or have personal knowledge of) she must be an independant contractor. If so, she is suppose to have her business license clearly posted in/at her place of business whether in a store front or in her home. Does she? If not, ask here where it is. Also ask her how many classes she has taught prior to this and whether or not she has ever taken any classes herself. How long has she been crochetting? She should have some expierence teaching before she starts charging for her services. Make sure you have an accurate calculation of the money you have spent on the classes themselves and present it to her at the beginning of your next class, and tell her you want your money back. Then get back on your horse and go to your LYS or Michael's, Joann's etc., meet with the instructor and get some information as to her level of expertice at teaching. Use the information you have gotten here as a guideline for your questions. If you feel comfortable with her (or his - sorry Crochet Dude) level of knowledge, use the money you got back from the previous (teacher?) and get some real assistance putting the squares you have already made together. You will be amazed how quickly it will go when you are getting some real quality assistance (in essence, what you are paying for).

If she refuses to give you your money back, here are a few phrases that may be encouraging:

1. Well ok, given that you are a legally licensed independant contractor, who should I have served with legal process?

2. Oh, and let me be sure that I have your name correctly spelled so that when I contact my local news, the better business bureau and the court, we can be sure we have the right person.

3. Oh and I will need to know if you are properly bonded and/or licensed to do business within the city and county limits, and I hope your local mill or business taxes are paid, because I intend to contact the City auditor too.

4. Oh, do you have any questions for me?

This may seem a bit harsh, but like I said, I am a pretty forward moving person.

Archived