Slight Rant...Need advice

Don't go to the next class. Call her the day of and beg off with an excuse. Come here instead and hang out online with your crochet hook in hand the whole time that the class would run. Break the habit! Then the next day write her a letter telling her that you are dropping out, what your issues were with the class. This way you'll know that you made your point.

Sorry you had to go through all this.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't go to the next class. Call her the day of and beg off with an excuse. Come here instead and hang out online with your crochet hook in hand the whole time that the class would run. Break the habit! Then the next day write her a letter telling her that you are dropping out, what your issues were with the class. This way you'll know that you made your point.

Sorry you had to go through all this.

At this point in my life I'd be to onery to do that. I wouldn't put it past this "teacher" to charge for the class she didn't attend. If you don't like verbal confrontation, type up a letter and give/mail it to her saying exactly why you are done. Keep a copy of your letter for yourself.

To me it sounds like this woman used your class to make a big sale of expensive yarn she probably bought wholesale. The yarn and the project are completely inappropriate for a beginner project, and now there are a bunch of people out there who have a bad taste in their mouth for crochet. Shameful! The fact that she doesn't even actively teach for that fee on top of it is ridiculous.

Yes - I do really like the yarn - but it is hard to see your stitches - it gets kind of mushed together. I can see where it would create gorgeous stuff - but as a newbie who is having to frog alot - it seems kinda extravagent.

Judging from the yarns I saw on that website, that "teacher" should not have been using yarns of that type for beginners. I've been crocheting for 30yrs (since I was 6...I'm 37 now) and I still have problems working with anything but worsted weight. (I'm currently wrestling with a skein of Joann's Rainbow Boucle...trying to make a shawl)

You should try some of the other suggestions that people have given you. Try to find another local yarn store and see if anyone there can help you with your project. Ask people here at Crochetville for help, (there are a lot of other crochet forums on the internet that can help too if you have problems finding help here. Crocheters everywhere seem to be a generous bunch of people. I'm sure someone here can help you figure it out)

I would tell the "teacher" that you're not going to continue with the classes. She's obviously not living up to her end...she's supposed to be teaching you, and it sounds like she gave that up long ago (if reading from the book can even be considered actually teaching)

I agree with the other poster that this person used the class as an excuse to sell you and the others in the class a bunch of yarn that she bought wholesale.

I agree with the others. As someone who teaches crochet I am always wanting feedback. I would be upset if students were disappointed in my classes and didn't tell me about it. I actually give each of the students a brief questionairre at the end of the class which they can e-mail to me and it helps me to stay on top of things. I encourage my students to give me all feedback whether positive or negative...

I thank each and everyone of you for your input and ideas. This situation has been frustrating me for awhile now. I also donot like the feeling of being taken.

I crocheted as a child - my Grandma taught me - but she only taught me the very basics. I wanted to learn how to crochet and make beautiful things in honor and memory of her. She was a wonderful crochet/knitter and loosing her was hard - I wanted to do something that once again made me feel close to her and do something for myself that she also loved to do.

Having these feelings of irritation around crochet is not how I want to feel!

If you are the only one left in the class this teacher needs to sit next to you and answer all your questions...not read form a book. $90 for yarn ...for a beginner? not me I don't think that this teacher was prepared and I am sorry that you didn't get better advice. This is a wonderful place and you can reach out to any member for questions. We are not all pros but we are supportive and caring.

Suebee you crack me up! But youre right...I have never even HEARD of this yarn...it must be way out of my price range! Plus, it looks delicate, which is the last thing you want when trying to learn.

Personally, AlyBlu, I would reccommend talking to someone about your negative experience, and since I am somewhat fiesty...I would work like the devil to get this woman removed from her position and I would ask for money back! The worst they can say is no...and at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you voiced your unhappiness.

I hope this experience doesnt taint your view of a wonderful craft...and Im sure that your grandmother would be so proud that you have went through something so awful in honor of her memory...:goodorbad...keep at it, sister!

First off I'm sorry AlyBlu that you were so badly taken advantage of. Now, you know you have been taken advantage of. Stop going to this charlatan. How horrible....I looked at that yarn and cannot comprehend anyone trying to teach crochet using it.:thair It would make me pull out my hair!

If you have the book, you'll be able to do the project yourself. She wasn't teaching you anyway, so save yourself the fifteen bucks. Oh and give Better Business a call. No way should she be able to fleece anyone else in this manner.

You can get all the help you need here...the guys and gals of C'Ville are fantastic!:h5

Again, I'm sorry you were treated in this fashion!:hug

Robin

I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. I wouldn't pay the woman another cent and , as someone else suggested, I'd write and tell her why. At the same time, I can see how this might happen. She obviously didn't know what she was doing, got this great idea of how to make some money and got in way over her head. Her lack of actually teaching you at this point suggests that she has just given up. I'm sure she realizes that her whole endeavor failed. I hope she re-thinks her entire approach or just moves on to something else rather than poisoning crochet for anyone else.

I really appreciate all the input!

I have had to sit here and think about what you all have said - I do completely agree that she has lost interest in it - if she ever really had it in the first place. It makes me wonder if we where simply away for her to make money. I have nothing against making money if it is your passion to teach it (or if you even enjoy it!) but if it is simply away to make money - do smaller less intense, less obvious projects!!!

I am sure I will have a ton of questions about how to assemble this thing - and I am going to have to figure out the blocking.

I really appreciate all of your offers of assistance!

Poor kid! Sorry you've had a bad experience, but C'villers will put it right for you, no problem. That's what we're all here for. You'll complete the afghan, and we'll help you.

I don't think there's anything I can say or contribute that hasn't already been said, except that how this woman files her taxes or if she even files them at all, is between her and the IRS. I also have a major problem with some crochet books and patterns that claim "For Beginners", because MANY of them I have looked at are clearly NOT for beginners. I have a book at home that claims its for beginners and the first thing it wants to teach you is hairpin lace and tunisian (I've been crocheting for nearly 30 years and haven't attempted hairpin lace yet), which in my opinion is NOT beginner stuff. When I think "beginner", I think scarf/hat/gloves or if it's an afghan, one with only one stitch and not blocks either. Sounds to me like maybe she was trying to show of some of her "prowress". Clearly not someone who needs to be teaching this to anyone, and as for the money you'll probably just have to chalk it up to experience and move on.

It makes me wonder if we where simply away for her to make money.

Honey, you don't have to wonder, you KNOW. Chalk it up to experience and don't give this flake another penny.

I have to agree w/Robin...contact the Better Business Bureau, by phone or online (online's easier). Also, go to the IRS website and see about narking on her to them. People who cheat cost everyone else, and will keep doing it until they're forced to stop. :angry

And I am really sorry you had to go through this. To be honest, it doesn't shock me. Good needleart instructors are very, very difficult to find IMO.

The good news is that you can get some great help here at Crochetville :)

I have to agree w/Robin...contact the Better Business Bureau, by phone or online (online's easier). Also, go to the IRS website and see about narking on her to them. People who cheat cost everyone else, and will keep doing it until they're forced to stop. :angry

The good news is that you can get some great help here at Crochetville :)

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, unless the person is a member of the BBB, I don't think there's much help they could give her (although I think she could still file a complaint with them, just don't know if it would go anywhere if they're not a member). However, her states' Consumer Protection Agency/Attorney General could, I've used mine myself, and they were pretty quick to respond to my complaint. As for the IRS, and this is just me, I'd be very careful about "narking" on her there, because for all we know, they lady may have a legitimate business, just a crappy teacher. Speaking from personal experience with the IRS, when you start involving them on issues such as this (I work for the Fed. Gov't, by the way), you need to be careful, because you have no idea what kind of can of worms you are opening for yourself, not just the person you're "narking" on (don't think for one minute they won't "check you out" just to be sure. And if they find even one tiny mistake or discrepancy, they'll be all over you. I personally KNOW people there, believe me). Consumer Protection Agency, yes! IRS, no! How or if she's paying taxes has no bearing on your case, do yourself a favor and leave them out of it. If she's cheating on her taxes, believe me, eventually they WILL catch up with her without any prompting from you. Not to mention the "what goes around, comes around" factor.

Okay - I hope this is the right forum for this. I need to rant a bit and I need some advice!

A bit of the story - so you can feel my frustration. I am taking a crochet class - we are using this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561583103/sr=8-1/qid=1150123260/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2642289-4304601?%5Fencoding=UTF8

And we are making the afghan.

Here is my rant - this teacher has NEVER made this afghan before - there are roughly three stitches per square - so way to much work to get through with begginner students in an hour and a half class. We have been working on this project since the first of the year. I am paying fifteen dollars per class - plus she had us use more expensive yarn - so I payed almost 90$ for yarn - does that seem like way to much to pay for a begginer project - I know that she wants us to create something that will last a long time - but this afghan is going to be a four hundrend dollar afghan by the time I am done (I say I here because at this point I am the sole remaining student as the other eleven have dropped out!) I am extremely frustrated that she has never made this afghan, so she is not prepared when class starts - she says' oh I crochet faster than you do so I will crochet ahead of you in the class, so I will know right where you are at - but she has stopped even doing that - and now she sits there and reads to me from the book!!! I am the type who needs to see and touch things - I like to look at a finished project and say to myself - how would I do this, or oh that is how that stitch should look - but I am completely unable to do that. I am I irritated for nothing?

I mean I have gotten alot out of the class - I have forced myself to learn to read the patterns (teacher has not been helpful with this!), I found this site so I could learn something about blocking gauge and different hooks - as she has not talked about any of this - I have completed squares that are vastly different in both length and width - I am wondering how in the world I am going to assemble this thing!!! I became better aquainted with LYS looking for further advice - so I have gotten some stuff out of this class! But am I right to be irritated with this teacher? If so should I say anything to her? I am about three squares away from being finished making the squares - but I am honestly wondering how I am going to get this thing together?!

And has anyone ever done this afghan??? I tried to do a search for this book on this site - but well having crochet in the title brings me back a ton of search replies!!!

Any insight or advice would be deeply appreciated!!!

DROP THE CLASS! Get the book at ACmoore or other craft store (I might eben have it) and do it yourself. Iwanted to join a class, but when they told me I had to buy their expensive yarn in the colors of the pattern and pay 80 dollars for 6 classes, I said no way. They canceled it (only 2 people signed up).

Good luck. Ellie 13

She was teaching it out of a local craft store - but they moved sites and I am not sure why she was not asked to follow them to the new location. But I did let the owner of the store know my frustration.

I will definetly be able to tackle almost anything after this. Elmore stitches? These are a pain - and I will have to figure out how to block this thing as the gauges do not line up at all. the squares are supposed to be 13 x 13 - I have some that are eight by eight!

I think Elmore stitches are great when you need to make slanted pieces. You should look for Elmore's book to see how to make them. Sometimes, when making my own designs, I use Elmore stitches.

Ellie 13

Speaking from personal experience with the IRS, when you start involving them on issues such as this (I work for the Fed. Gov't, by the way), you need to be careful, because you have no idea what kind of can of worms you are opening for yourself, not just the person you're "narking" on (don't think for one minute they won't "check you out" just to be sure.

Hey Melissa...people can't report fraudulent activity anonymously anymore? Do you know when that changed? Back in 1992 I knew a woman who wasn't paying taxes on the money she made from her home daycare business. Someone tattled to the IRS (we thought it was a disgruntled parent, but don't know for sure) and she had a big, expensive mess on her hands (of course). And, even though I liked this woman, she was breaking the law so I can't say I felt too sorry for her. Anyway, I wasn't aware the anonymity policy had changed :blush

Yeah, I guess the tax thing is a separate issue from the teaching thing. But it sounds like this teacher is cheating everyone - students and the gov't - just because she can. I'd bet she keeps doing it till she's made to stop. I'd hate to see even more people get taken :(

So I have been working on the patterns myself - I sat down and worked on the block that I was most nervous about. and I finished it! I have three more to go and all the blocks will be done - then I will have to figure out how to get them all to a workable size! But I am really proud that I figured out that square! I called her and told her I was unavailable for the next few sessions. I figured I might need one of the skeins as I am assembling and I do not want to have to scramble to find it - but my goal is to get it done and then simply tell her I figured out how to finish it on my own and will not be attending class anymore. I figure her taxes are between her and her concious. And since she is no longer teaching out of the craft store (and they know I was unhappy) I will let it go - chalk it up to a learning experince. I think my frustration with her actually forced me to learn more - I may never do this afghan again - but I want to be able to say I finished it - and I learned how to read patterns and have a deeper understanding of stitches. But at the same time - I will not be recommending her to anyone I know!

Thanks again for all your input! It has really helped and kept me motivated that I could do this without her.

I think Elmore stitches are great when you need to make slanted pieces. You should look for Elmore's book to see how to make them. Sometimes, when making my own designs, I use Elmore stitches.

Ellie 13

Are there any books in particular that you are thinking of?

So I have been working on the patterns myself - I sat down and worked on the block that I was most nervous about. and I finished it! I have three more to go and all the blocks will be done - then I will have to figure out how to get them all to a workable size! But I am really proud that I figured out that square! I called her and told her I was unavailable for the next few sessions. I figured I might need one of the skeins as I am assembling and I do not want to have to scramble to find it - but my goal is to get it done and then simply tell her I figured out how to finish it on my own and will not be attending class anymore. I figure her taxes are between her and her concious. And since she is no longer teaching out of the craft store (and they know I was unhappy) I will let it go - chalk it up to a learning experince. I think my frustration with her actually forced me to learn more - I may never do this afghan again - but I want to be able to say I finished it - and I learned how to read patterns and have a deeper understanding of stitches. But at the same time - I will not be recommending her to anyone I know!

Thanks again for all your input! It has really helped and kept me motivated that I could do this without her.

And you have a nice afghan to show for it. Congratulations. :clap

If you can, please provide pix. :)

Still, it's hard to believe that the cost of the yarn was almost as much as the two weeks of summer camp where I learned to crochet. Of course, that was 35 years ago, and I learned to crochet a simple scarf. But that was the stepping stone. Besides, camp provided the hook and the yarn.

aly blu, i am glad that your finishing this afghan, while its hard to do now, you are making it work, and as was said by many, if you have a problem, don't hesitate to ask. we will be more than glad to help you for free:lol :lol can't wait to see pics. i agree, its up to her and her concience to deal with the fact she is ripping people off, eventually will catch up with her good luck hon:hug .:hug

I agree with everyone else who suggested you ditch this 'teacher'. You can get more valuable advice on this forum than from her.

As far as the yarn is concerned, I put 'Erdal yarn' into the eBay search, and came up with a bunch. I don't know which of their yarns you are using but check there before you give this 'teacher' one more dime.

Oh... post a pic of your gorgeous afghan when it's finished.

Joan

I will definetly post some pics - it will be a bit down the line, as I have to take them in to be developed - do not have digitial (Yet!)

I will definetly have questions come up when I try to assemble this thing!

As for needing more yarn - HAH!!! I counted up all the skeins she sold me for this project (now mind you - she has NEVER made it!) she sold me NINE skeins to many - argh!!! I know I will find a use for it - but it really irks me!

i am very sorry that this had to happen to you. it's a wonder you weren't totally turned off of crochet by this time. shows you what character you have in not being discouraged and finishing your project. i taught crochet to my co-workers this past year--no charge; i provided the pattern (a potholder pattern taken from the internet); and gave everyone a skein of yarn from my stash. the only thing they had to provide was a hook and of course their interest. we started out learning about hooks, yarn, and then went on to the basic stitches. we frogged a lot, but everyone had fun--absolutely no pressure. after the potholder, i asked them what they wanted to work on. i gave them input on their choices and some went on to a bigger projects, like afghans, but some wanted to perfect stitches so continued on with scarves and potholders. i never told anyone she had to buy a certain brand. in fact, i encouraged the less expensive kind because i knew there would be some ripping out. well, good luck with your project. be proud in the fact that you literally "did it yourself."

Archived