Slight Rant...Need advice

Okay - I hope this is the right forum for this. I need to rant a bit and I need some advice!

A bit of the story - so you can feel my frustration. I am taking a crochet class - we are using this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561583103/sr=8-1/qid=1150123260/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2642289-4304601?%5Fencoding=UTF8

And we are making the afghan.

Here is my rant - this teacher has NEVER made this afghan before - there are roughly three stitches per square - so way to much work to get through with begginner students in an hour and a half class. We have been working on this project since the first of the year. I am paying fifteen dollars per class - plus she had us use more expensive yarn - so I payed almost 90$ for yarn - does that seem like way to much to pay for a begginer project - I know that she wants us to create something that will last a long time - but this afghan is going to be a four hundrend dollar afghan by the time I am done (I say I here because at this point I am the sole remaining student as the other eleven have dropped out!) I am extremely frustrated that she has never made this afghan, so she is not prepared when class starts - she says' oh I crochet faster than you do so I will crochet ahead of you in the class, so I will know right where you are at - but she has stopped even doing that - and now she sits there and reads to me from the book!!! I am the type who needs to see and touch things - I like to look at a finished project and say to myself - how would I do this, or oh that is how that stitch should look - but I am completely unable to do that. I am I irritated for nothing?

I mean I have gotten alot out of the class - I have forced myself to learn to read the patterns (teacher has not been helpful with this!), I found this site so I could learn something about blocking gauge and different hooks - as she has not talked about any of this - I have completed squares that are vastly different in both length and width - I am wondering how in the world I am going to assemble this thing!!! I became better aquainted with LYS looking for further advice - so I have gotten some stuff out of this class! But am I right to be irritated with this teacher? If so should I say anything to her? I am about three squares away from being finished making the squares - but I am honestly wondering how I am going to get this thing together?!

And has anyone ever done this afghan??? I tried to do a search for this book on this site - but well having crochet in the title brings me back a ton of search replies!!!

Any insight or advice would be deeply appreciated!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I teach crochet, and I can't even think of where to start...

expensive book

expensive yarn

way too big of a project for a beginner

she should DEFINITELY have done the project beforehand and have a completed sample for students

I'm not shocked that the others have dropped out, I'm just wondering why you're still there? LOL!

I can't really offer much in the way of advice, but that "teacher" needs to rethink her strategy. Big time. It's up to you if you want to say something to her...

This is just my opinion.

I started teaching classes at Hobby Lobby earlier this year and would never dream of starting beginners on something big, nor would I ever dream of teaching something that I had not first made myself!

Did you buy the pattern? If so, sounds to me like you should drop out of the class. If you get stuck, I'm sure a bunch of us would be able to assist on line. Sounds to me like this teacher is teaching for money and not for love of crochet and that she's bleeding you dry. Heck, I feel like I'm overcharging teaching students a class thats $15-$25! But the difference is that I ALWAYS try to give the students alternatives for yarns so they can buy according to their budgets and I ALWAYS provide them with a pattern (I usually use free patterns). I do it because I love to crochet and want to share my passion with others. Sure the extra money is nice but that's not why I primarily do it.

Just my opinion...

Wow. I teach crochet, and I can't even think of where to start...

expensive book

expensive yarn

way too big of a project for a beginner

she should DEFINITELY have done the project beforehand and have a completed sample for students

I'm not shocked that the others have dropped out, I'm just wondering why you're still there? LOL!

I can't really offer much in the way of advice, but that "teacher" needs to rethink her strategy. Big time. It's up to you if you want to say something to her...

Why am I still there? I am a bit obsessive and I want to finish! I hate starting something like this and not finishing - but it is good to know that I am not nuts! ;) I have learned alot - but that is more because I continuiosly sit down with the book and reread it and practice it until I have got it down! Not because of her great teaching methods!

Thank you for your honest reply!

ETA also - I would be irritated if I spent that much on yarn and it sat unfinished! Shopping around - I realized I could GET A TON OF YARN FOR THAT MUCH!

Where are you taking this class?! I think you owe it to future potential students to "give some feedback" to the store or parks & rec community center. If she's doing this on her own I would be very honest (not mean or nasty) when others ask how she teaches. You'll be able to tackle anything when you're done with this.

This is just my opinion.

I started teaching classes at Hobby Lobby earlier this year and would never dream of starting beginners on something big, nor would I ever dream of teaching something that I had not first made myself!

Did you buy the pattern? If so, sounds to me like you should drop out of the class. If you get stuck, I'm sure a bunch of us would be able to assist on line. Sounds to me like this teacher is teaching for money and not for love of crochet and that she's bleeding you dry. Heck, I feel like I'm overcharging teaching students a class thats $15-$25! But the difference is that I ALWAYS try to give the students alternatives for yarns so they can buy according to their budgets and I ALWAYS provide them with a pattern (I usually use free patterns). I do it because I love to crochet and want to share my passion with others. Sure the extra money is nice but that's not why I primarily do it.

Just my opinion...

I bought the book - had to. There are something like 20 squares with atleast three stitches per square.

Where are you taking this class?! I think you owe it to future potential students to "give some feedback" to the store or parks & rec community center. If she's doing this on her own I would be very honest (not mean or nasty) when others ask how she teaches. You'll be able to tackle anything when you're done with this.

She was teaching it out of a local craft store - but they moved sites and I am not sure why she was not asked to follow them to the new location. But I did let the owner of the store know my frustration.

I will definetly be able to tackle almost anything after this. Elmore stitches? These are a pain - and I will have to figure out how to block this thing as the gauges do not line up at all. the squares are supposed to be 13 x 13 - I have some that are eight by eight!

Sounds like you are already mostly doing this on your own, and she's not much help... you could probably save yourself a lot of money finishing it on your own, and not paying her to read to you. ;)

Irratated is NOT how I'd put it. I'd be livid with this teacher. I personally would quit. I'd tell her exactly why, too. She has no business teaching if she hasn't done the project already and isn't even intrested in you or it but would rather read. To insist you use expensive yarn, who is she to tell you how to spend your money. I agree sometimes it's better to use the best you can but only you can determine what will fit your budget and what you want to invest on a first time project.

As for the sizing, you'll get plenty of help here. Some you can block but some you may need to add boarders to. You can do this and we'll be here to help you. :hug

I am in complete shock that she does not work the project square prior to the class for you to see it complete. I have never seen a class offered that does not have a completed sample, but maybe I am spoiled. Also most of the classes, I have taken and/or considered taking have the type of yarn. They don't require you to use a specific type/brand, so you can choose something in your price range and that suits your taste. My LYS does a Square of the Month (knit) and you pick any worsted weight yarn, and the teacher has the square worked up beforehand to show you the finished product. She then helps each person work their particular tension and yarn to gauge by changing needles and working through the most difficult part of the pattern. She may request that you bring your square finished up to a certain row for example. It sounds like the "teacher" (and I am using the term loosely) has lost interest in the project herself, and is completely unprofessional.

Personally I would not waste another dime on any of her classes and find a LYS that offers a get together with friendly instructors/help that can get you through the rest of your squares. Sounds like you would get a whole lot more help that way anyways.

Wow. So much to process.

OK, first, ceasing to pay for/attend this class does not mean you are quitting. You can still finish the afghan. You've outgrown the class! You need to shed it like a snake sheds its skin. If you come across snags, ask C'ville, or take it to a crochet/yarn shop to ask a specific question...

Not to fully defend the teacher, but I have seen buying yarn from the LYS where a class is taught as a norm. Generally, they don't have anything as cheap (not just inexpensive... cheap!) as what you could find at Wal*Mart, Michaels, etc. Not bad prices for what you get, but no "beginner yarn" prices! That being said, most classes that require/request you to buy materials at that LYS still give you options in*what* you buy, and generally don't start with a full-sized afghan!!

Other than that, I have to basically agree with everything else that's been advised thus far.

Honey, you not only have the right to be livid but I would be surprised if you weren't a little hot under the collar!

Thank you everyone for your honest advice and thoughts on this. Truth be told - I am really irritated. I know there is a personal learning lesson in here as well as learning to crochet lessons - but I have never taken a class like this before. As the cklass was moved to her house after the craft store moved location - I do not know if there is anyone I can directly address this issue with, and she has already told me she will not be teaching this class in the future. I feel a bit like a guinea pig.

i am sorry you had to experience this type of teacher, i too teach crochet and would NEVER ever do this to a student. in fact the store i teach at sometimes makes the beginner projects a bit hard, so my class cordinator works with me to choose something a bit more realistic in regards to a beginner project. i also would be not slightly irritated , i would be downright :angry :angry :angry i am with the others and say, i would stop attending these classes. your not quitting, your just reprograming people who will help you. many of us here teach or have enough experiance that we can and will help you. please feel free at any time to as any questions. as far as her teaching it at her home, does she have a business license? and do you have tax thats added on for her to pay? otherwise she may not be doing the right thing as it is not benifiting anyone but her. please hang in there with the afghan though, some of the stitches of that book can be a pain, but it sounds to me like your going to finish without her help anyways. as far as the price of yarn, did she get a commision for having you buy more expensive yarn(am curious as to what type of yarn you are using)i too want to add, that while some patterns call for a certain type of yarn, most can be adapted to use most any yarn. for instance, if it calls for homespun, and you don't want to use that yarn, there are other bulky weight yarns out there or you can also change your hook to make the gauge that works. i commend you for sticking with her this long, i would have quit after the first time and found someone who knew what they were doing:yes :yes shame on her:hug :hug :hug

I took a class at an LYS, we had to buy a particular book. We got to choose the project we wanted to do, and we got a discount on all purchases made there. The first class, the shop offered up scrap balls to try stitches, etc and different textures, and I know one lady went to WM and bought some cheapy yarn and brought it to class. Nothing was said, and the teacher said that was OK>.

I would let her know that you are a dissatisfied student and you will be sure and give feedback if anyone at all is interested.

What did the store say when you told them? Did they offer any explanation on why she did not follow them.

What a racket! And here I'm making money the hard way...where do I sign up for this??? :devil

Honestly, I've learned more from simply taking courses at Michael's ($5-10 a pop and you aren't obligated to keep going and they really don't care what yarn you bring), following books (believe it or not, when I was first starting out, I got the most out of that Coats and Clark "Learn to Crochet" pamphlet), and checking out that stitch guide with the small video clips on Annie's Attic than from anything else.

As mythunderbird mentioned, if she is doing this out of her home, she needs to be set up to file a 1099 at the end of the year. Since I'm an independant contractor at Hobby Lobby and I keep 100% of the tuition the same applies for me. I do not need to get a tax ID but at the end of the year I have to pay taxes on the tuition that I rcv'd as wages. In turn I can deduct the cost of expenses for teaching the class but again, if she's charging you that kind of money and isn't claiming it, well that's a big no no.

Good luck to you!

The store she was at was not a yarn shop, just a local craft store (pottery painting - they let her have some space there to sell yarn and teach classes - but they where not affliated with her). We were able to choose yarn colors, but not the yarn itself - and she is the one who sold the yarn to us. It is her own buisness that was just using the other buisness as a retail location (I guess some of her supplies would not work with her unless she had a storefront location) So all money was paid directly to her.

The yarn is brand name "Erdal" It does not tell me on the wrapper the weight or anything like that - I will go find one of the wrappers and type up what is says. She gave us a bit of a discount on the yarn because we signed up for the class.

Sounds like she made a killing on you guys. If I was you I would let her know my dissatisfaction and not give her another penny. You can do this without her, you've already proven that. Get free help here!

I also teach & thoroughly agree with what the others have said. I always recommend the weight & size of needles/hooks to use. Then I teach all the basic st. & how to read a pattern. Each student chooses their own project, st. , yarn & hook size & pattern & works on it in class. I help each one as needed. May I say that my classes have always asked if they could have longer than a 2 hr. class time. I still correspond with some of them. (I have moved to another state). They will call me long distance to ask a question. That's a little harder when I can't see their project but not impossible. The whole point is that you have a terribly dis-interested teacher & need to leave her NOW. We can all help you with the rest of your afghan.

whatever happened to a simple scarf or shawl for a 1st project. I am self taught and that is how I learned. I bought a book with all of the stitches and learned one stitch at a time. You can do it!!!!!!!!! There are many people here who will help you if you are stuck. Suzan

The store she was at was not a yarn shop, just a local craft store (pottery painting - they let her have some space there to sell yarn and teach classes - but they where not affliated with her). We were able to choose yarn colors, but not the yarn itself - and she is the one who sold the yarn to us. It is her own buisness that was just using the other buisness as a retail location (I guess some of her supplies would not work with her unless she had a storefront location) So all money was paid directly to her.

The yarn is brand name "Erdal" It does not tell me on the wrapper the weight or anything like that - I will go find one of the wrappers and type up what is says. She gave us a bit of a discount on the yarn because we signed up for the class.

Is this the brand of yarn she had you use? http://www.erdal.com/index.html

Archived