Slight Rant...Need advice

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi alyblu, maybe you can return the yarn for a refund or a exchange. depends on the store of course, i know at joanns we can do that all the time, with a slip of course, but there the customer is right. just something to think about hon. good luck and am looking forward to seeing the pics:manyheart :manyheart

I will definetly post some pics - it will be a bit down the line, as I have to take them in to be developed - do not have digitial (Yet!)

I will definetly have questions come up when I try to assemble this thing!

As for needing more yarn - HAH!!! I counted up all the skeins she sold me for this project (now mind you - she has NEVER made it!) she sold me NINE skeins to many - argh!!! I know I will find a use for it - but it really irks me!

Well, if you can't find a use for it, you could always sell or trade it. From the pics I saw of the line, it's a lovely yarn, and at a reasonably fair price I'm sure someone would be interested in it. But, to look on the brighter side, it's definitely better to have too much than to end up with not enough to finish your project! So be sure to at least wait until you are done with your afghan before deciding what to do with the "extra", to state the obvious.

• 3 months later...

Update: I simply told the teacher I got inspired and finished it - not quite true as I was far from finished at the time. I am now getting closer.

I have some pics - sorry if they are huge, I am still figuring out how to post stuff.

What I finally decided to do was take the largest one - complete it's boarder and work all others ones up to that size - which in some cases is almost doubling the size of the what I made - I hate that she NEVER discussed gauge. But I figured since I would have a ton of yarn and one big mess if I didn't persue - I have kept after it - I am still not done - and the following photos are ones from before I started edging.

This was the largest one, un-edged next to a small one that had been edged.

Showing how far gauge was off - and she knew about this - she saw my work at this point

Images are far too large to display. For some reason I was unable to capture the links for them so I had to just remove them. Please refer to the sticky note regarding image size in the Show & Tell forum for information on how to resize your images. You can also contact me via pm if you need more help with this. -- goldi, moderator

Oh and she is fond of tying knots when you change colors - as I am working, I have found that this was one of the worst things she taught us - it makes a mess when the knock comes undone and unravels itself back a stitch or two.

And if they do not come undone, they like to pop up so you have a knot in the middle of your block- she said they would get buried in the stitches - Humpf!!! Grrr!!!

hi, i have to say, that your teacher must have not been a very good one if she knew your gauge was off that much, shame on her, some people are afraid to ask a student to frog their work, but i always tell them, if you want to do it right, then you have to start over. i am sorry this teacher was so bad. wish you were here i would show you for free. take care sweetie, don't give up. the best thing to remember is to do a swatch and if its not on guage then you change the hook size. cause we all crochet different, i crochet very loose and therefor only use smaller hooks while i had one student who was so tight that it puckered. i had her rip it out and while it hurt at the time, she was so happy later when she did it she thanked me for 'suggesting it' i told her that for her to have what she wants she did a awesome job and a lesson well learned, we all make mistakes( even me :lol :lol :lol ) and i hate frogging too but i have done many of them, even going so far as to having almost completed a afghan for a friends wedding and findint a tiny mistake on the 2nd to last row. and yes i frogged it. cried the whole time:yes :yes , but when she got her wedding gift(was a tad late) she said that she could see how i would do that and they loved it. still using it for their bed too hehehe. take care and sending:hug your way

I haven't had a chance to read all through this but I agree with this being WAY too much for a beginner project and it's drug on far far far far too long.

I'd take my yarn and book and tell her bye bye.. it sounds like you've made good progress on your own. What she's doing is not teaching :(

wow, that looks so intense for a beginner! holy cow! she told you to tie knots?! I wish I knew what she was thinking when she decided to become a teacher...since you were at her house, did she have alot of crochet stuff? it sounds to me like she didn't have much experience. When I teach someone, i start with chaining, and then I'll teach single crochet and double crochet and work up to a granny square because those are pretty simple. Your squares look very pretty though. you could always sew them into a poncho or a scarf instead of an afghan and then use the rest of the yarn for a little easier project or even if you run out of yarn, that way you have something nice and you dont have to spend a fortune on more yarn....gotta hand it to you, you've done a good job so far!

I have no issue with Frogging things - She actually would get mad at me for undoing stuff - saying I was being way to much of a perfectionist. And she kept saying not to worry about the size difference because once w did the borders, they would all work themselves out - which I take as her meaning they would stretch.

There is no way this isn't becoming an afgahn - I have way to much invested. As i get closer, I will try to get more pictures. And thanks to all for the encouragement and advice - this has been one huge pain in the behind.

I'm late to this post, as I only saw it for the 1st time last night, and just have to make some comments... I have that book and even though it is called a "learn-to-crochet afghan" that is by NO stretch of the imagination a beginners project!! :eek I would call it a "learn-to-crochet-advanced-stitches-after-you've-been-crocheting-for-a-good-long-while sampler afghan". It is a perversion for that person to call herself a teacher, on so many levels. :angry Does she even know how to crochet, herself? Ughhhh, it really frosts me :thair and gives all good teachers and crochet itself a very bad image.

I'm just so impressed that you have come so far with this, and just think -- after all is said and done, there will be NO crochet stitch that you can't handle :hook:cheer:manyheart . Kudos to you!

I too, just stumbled across this. I am sooo sorry you have had to deal with someone like her. I can really relate to you wanting to continue crocheting in memory of your loved one that taught you. I had an aunt that taught me when I was probably 10. I stuck with it off and on through the years, but never doing anything significant. Then, last year, I had a niece getting married & remembered that my aunt used to make an afghan for every new family. I decided that I needed to carry on that tradition. I am really proud of you for sticking to your project. I feel your memories of your grandmother, were a major part of your motivation.:clap Just think, that is something you will always have. Bravo to you :hug

Thanks Ladies - I have 12 of the twenty bolcks up to size with the borders - I have one still left to finish - it is complicated and it frustrates me, but I am almost done with it - and then I have the other ones to bring up to size and do a border - and then I will attempt the joining - this will be my first time ever - A touch nervous, but I am determined!

Don't be so nervous. Concidering what you have ALREADY accomplished w/ this afghan, AND pretty much all by yourself. You will probably ace the joining. :)

I've not seen the pattern/book, but since most everyone on here who has seen it says that it's NOT a beginner's pattern. You have succeeded. Your squares (despite the guage issue since the "teacher"-and I use that word loosely here- didn't even mention gauge to you) are very beautiful. You have definitely learned a new skill, and you should be very proud of yoru accomplishments :)

Sandy

Everyone has been so helpful. Thank you - your encouragement has helped, so I figured I would post the other pictures I have of the blocks - all of these are pictures of the work before any of them have either been worked up to size or had the border added.

Please forgive some of the bad pictures - I am still learning how to get all of this done and into the computer.

DCFC0072.jpg

DCFC0069.jpg

DCFC0068.jpg

DCFC0063.jpg

DCFC0067.jpg

DCFC0066.jpg

Sorry if this one is dark - but I am really proud of it, I think it is called an Aran stitch.

DCFC0065.jpg

DCFC0064.jpg

DCFC0060-1.jpg

This is one where she had me tie knots and then clip the yarn close - you can see the fray on the edges

DCFC0059-1.jpg

This was the elmore stitch one that I had such a hard time with

DCFC0057-1.jpg

Oh My!!!! Your blocks are really nice. :c9 I haven't even begun to try things like that. :eek I do truely beleive you will be able to do anything after this project. Bravo to you, again!!!:clap :clap

All I can say is WOW!!!:eek If I hadn't read this thread, I would have thought that you have been doing this for a long time. The number of stitches and patterns you have done FOR THE FIRST TIME is impressive. I am just amazed. Good Work!!!!!:cheer:cheer:cheer

Thank you Ladies - I put it down to being stubborn. I was so mad when I realized that I had such a huge investment, and a teacher who wasn't very good - I forced myself to really sit and read the book - I get frustrated because they do narrow torwards the top - you can see it in the photos. But I am also very proud of myself and very ready to get this thing done - I figure two more weeks total and I should be there - It takes me awhile, and I still crochet very slowly - but I am getting there.

Once again - thanks for all the encouragement

• 4 weeks later...

Archived