Artist crochets self into cocoon in 11 hrs

in 11 hours that is amazing...it takes me longer than that to crochet a blanket

I was kinda thinking the same thing... what's weird is that she doesn't seem to be working that fast in the video clip. The NY1 article has a link to the video.

I hope she took a bathroom break during those 11 hours or she's going to be real sorry when she stitches that hole closed.:rofl:laughroll

I was thinking the same thing! Like, does she have a crocheted bed pan in there, too? :lol

Maybe she's using cotton yarn...nice and absorbant...hehe. It's definately ummm...different. It amazes me that they flaunt their education when they do stuff like that...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to think up a weird publicity stunt.

I was thinking the same thing! Like, does she have a crocheted bed pan in there, too? :lol

I had two graduate students in fine arts as my roommates in college who would do stuff like that. Most performance arts and installations are beyond me, but I guess they are meant to make people think.

Even the bathroom issue can be a symbol of "one's biological needs that cannot be met by technology when one isolates oneself from the rest of society by building a cocoon, although it may provide a sense of security"...or something like that. :lol

what a weirdo!

I had a long day and I'm burned out from work - and it's only TUESDAY!!!! I have so much to try and stuff into the few 'home' hours... would you all think me weird if I crocheted myself into a cacoon?

or maybe people already think I'm weird...

that red cacoon is looking pretty comforting right now, potty issues aside...

wonder if she will sell the pattern to people whos kids dont listen lol. only kidding

Sign me up for one of those patterns...uh, make that 4...:rofl :rofl :rofl

Ok, seriously though, being a poet at heart, the sadness involved in crocheting yourself into a cocoon... look at that picture, that is one sad sight. To me it looked like poetry in yarn. Yes, I am weird, and no, it doesn't bother me a bit if people think I am...;)

Ok, seriously though, being a poet at heart, the sadness involved in crocheting yourself into a cocoon... look at that picture, that is one sad sight. To me it looked like poetry in yarn. Yes, I am weird, and no, it doesn't bother me a bit if people think I am...;)

There are many ways to see it as noted by the posts above "will she come out as a butterfly?"

It honestly seemed like a good - though impractical - idea yesterday to encase myself in a protective covering - to concentrate just on putting in the stitches - no frogging necessary - and disappear.

There are many times now, at 41, wife, mother of four, gainfully employed, that I want to hide... like as a child when you climb underneath a table with a long tablecloth on it, or in the closet, or in a fort or sometimes even a box will do; sometimes it's for hide-and-seek, but sometimes just not to be found... and sometimes wanting to be found, wanting someone to say, "what's wrong?" or just offer a hug...

There are many times now, at 41, wife, mother of four, gainfully employed, that I want to hide... like as a child when you climb underneath a table with a long tablecloth on it, or in the closet, or in a fort or sometimes even a box will do; sometimes it's for hide-and-seek, but sometimes just not to be found... and sometimes wanting to be found, wanting someone to say, "what's wrong?" or just offer a hug...

Going into my bedroom and crocheting is, in a way, my cocoon of safety. Crocheting is wonderful because it can be your sanctuary, and it can also be a way to connect to others. My dream is to have my own studio where I can be surrounded by books, yarn and a nice cup of tea, sitting on a cozy chair.

I am reminded of your beautiful crocheting space, Paulette. I imagine as a court reporter, you encounter the sordid side of human nature a lot more than an average person and could certainly use some respite at the end of the day. And we all know that being a wife and a mother is demanding and trying of anyone.

Here is a hug in case you need it. :hug

I wonder what the cocoon crochet-er did after it was done? Frog it all? Re-wind it and use for something else? And I wonder how long it took to frog...

Interestingly, she chose red yarn. And she graduated from Harvard, whose school color is red—oh, excuse me, crimson. A special shout-out to her alma mater, perhaps?

Anybody besides me wonder what kind of yarn she's using?

Just my random thoughts on the matter.

Going into my bedroom and crocheting is, in a way, my cocoon of safety. Crocheting is wonderful because it can be your sanctuary, and it can also be a way to connect to others. My dream is to have my own studio where I can be surrounded by books, yarn and a nice cup of tea, sitting on a cozy chair.

I am reminded of your beautiful crocheting space, Paulette. I imagine as a court reporter, you encounter the sordid side of human nature a lot more than an average person and could certainly use some respite at the end of the day. And we all know that being a wife and a mother is demanding and trying of anyone.

Here is a hug in case you need it. :hug

You are very perceptive... I did need the hug. Thank you.

I called in sick today (and I will tomorrow, too) because my current court case is a one-month trial about a brain damaged baby... watching mom and dad sobbing in the audience all day while I carefully take down the words herpes simplex encephalitis and meninges and meningitis and cat scan... it's kinda sad. And my crochet space is over there calling to me... but the attorneys want a 192 page transcript TOMORROW! I'm on page 30. Why am I on crochetville instead of working on it? It's a matter of sanity! I LOVE you guys!

I sure wouldn't frog it!! I'd USE it! And I'd make it with camouflage yarn so nobody could find me! :yes

She's NUTS if she frogs it... She should auction it on eBay! And I'm voting for Red Heart Super Saver as the type of yarn she used...:hook

Archived