I made dishcloths!!!!

nucki

:lolCan you believe that after over 20 years of crocheting, these are the FIRST dishcloths I've EVER made???

I've had this yarn in my stash for some time now... only I wasn't exactly sure what kind it was. I'd bought it from the "expensive" yarn shop near my house, all 'cuz it was on clearance for £0.30 a skein... and it didn't have a label. But for that price, and the colors... it was a deal I could NOT pass up.

I was going through my yarn box looking for something else yesterday, and came across this yarn again. I picked it up, and looked at it, and suddenly remembered another thread I'd read here at Crochetville about how you can tell what a yarn is made of by how it acts when it's burned. Sho 'nuff, it's cotton yarn. Cotton! Now what can I make with ONE skein of cotton yarn?... DISHCLOTHS! :hook

(Pictures are clickable)[/url]

th_Dishcloth1_01.jpg

th_Dishcloth1_02.jpg

This is the first one I made... a very simple one, all in sc, with a loop in one corner to hang it by.

th_Dishcloth2_01.jpg

th_Dishcloth2_02.jpg

This is the second one... a combination of sc, hdc, and cross-stitch. I found the pattern on Crochet Pattern Central (god, I love that place! :manyheart ) I know it's a little warped, but I didn't bother blocking it either. I'm sure I could get it to straighten out if I did.

th_Dishcloth3_02.jpg

th_Dishcloth3_01.jpg

This is the last one, in hdc, but in the back loop only.

The pictures don't do the yarn justice. It's a gorgeous variegated in pink, light lavendar, and darker lavendar. It's so pretty, there's no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks I could use it in the kitchen. And the yarn is so soft, it nearly feels like suede. So I'm actually planning on using them as washcloths. I can't wait to try one out - they feel like they'd be heavenly to wash myself with. :c9 I wish I had more of it... it would make a lovely wearable, especially at this time of the year, with those colors!

I had to laugh when my hubby saw me making them, though.

"Whatcha makin'?"

"Washcloths."

"Washcloths? Do you really think that's a good idea? I mean, this is acrylic yarn, it...."

I cut him off right there.

"No, it's not acrylic yarn, it's cotton yarn!"

He shut up real quick.

Men. Most of 'em don't know an acrylic yarn from a cotton yarn from a bungee cord!!!!:lol

Very nice, I started making them and now am loving it!!! I will give all the "girls" in the family a set for xmas - I think they will really like them. I also like the multi color yarn - they come out real pretty :cheer

Wtg they look great. Then wash clothes/ dish clothes can be addictive. I made 4 today. 2 round ones from a pattern on crochet central and 2 square ones. Hubby was really impressed with the round ones because they look more complicated then they really are.

Yeah, I have just discovered dishcloths as well! They are a blast!

The one I am finishing up actually looks like I crocheted it to have diagonal stripes, but I didn't! It was just the makeup of the varigated yarn!

Those are very pretty and useful, too. When my daughter moved into her first apartment last year, that was the only thing she specifically asked me to make for her.

You gooooooo girl!! Dishcloths are so fast to make too! I have made several myself, different shapes too, triangle, square, round and oval. I make mine about 4-5 inches tho, seems like if they are bigger they seem too bulky to use.

When I first started crocheted (45 years ago) everything you bought was tied with(cotton) string. My grandmother tied each piece together to make one big ball and it was given to me to learn with because she "wasn't going to waste good yarn on learning" One of the proudest days of my life was when Grandma thought I was good enough for new yarn. Way back then it was cotton,wool or sometimes a linen mix. It was the ugliest green color I have ever seen, and I made a scarf for my Dad. You can also make them in a 'bumpy ' pattern which makes it great for exfoliating your face and body.

Well...I've never made any dishcloths/washcloths...but I do have some cotton yarn I bought with the intent to do them...guess I'm gonna do some now...who'da thought something so easy to make would be so exciting?? LOL

Thanks for the inspiration!

Amy

Really cute dish cloths!

Ok, I have never made a dish cloth yet, but I am wondering what colors work best??, Darker colors to hide stains? or maybe white so they can be bleached? All you Dishcloth makers...what do you suggest?

When I first started crocheted (45 years ago) everything you bought was tied with(cotton) string. My grandmother tied each piece together to make one big ball and it was given to me to learn with because she "wasn't going to waste good yarn on learning" One of the proudest days of my life was when Grandma thought I was good enough for new yarn. Way back then it was cotton,wool or sometimes a linen mix. It was the ugliest green color I have ever seen, and I made a scarf for my Dad. You can also make them in a 'bumpy ' pattern which makes it great for exfoliating your face and body.

Do we have the same grandma?:think That's how I learned to make pot holders!

This thread inspired me to go through my collection of yarns and I found some cotton that just wasn't enough to make anything but washcloths!

:clap I have three new washcloths now!

Archived