Does your spouse also crochet?!

Hello! One of these days I want to teach my hubby how to crochet (and maybe to knit too)! He is GOOD with his hands and very creative! Right now he's resisting because he doesn't know of other male crocheters (even though I've told them there are MANY all over the world)! Anyway, how many of your spouses also crochet?! And who taught him how?! For the men here, did you teach your wife to crochet?! Give me your :2c on the topic, please?!

My hubby doesn't crochet, but he said that I could teach him when he retires in a couple of years. He knows it's good therapy for me and I think that it would be good therapy for him as well. Funny, because he looked at my pattern books with all the abbreviations, you know, sc,dc, tr, dtrc..etc., and he said that it looks foreign and can't understand a word of it! He asked me how I can read this stuff, and all I could do was laugh.:rofl :rofl :rofl

My hubby is a 5' 10", 270 lb burly man that thinks most things I do are girly. However crocheting and knitting are not one of those things. He was taught by his grandmother to crochet. He doesn't do anything fancy, but he knows how to chain and sc :hook. I happen to be proud to be married to a manly crocheter :rofl. He has expressed interest in learning how to knit :knit, so one of these days I will polish up my knitting skills and teach him.

My Loving Husband can crochet, but he prefers to knit :lol! He makes socks, socks, socks and has recently taken to making the fair isle patterns using multiple colors/yarns. He crocheted an afghan a couple of years ago. His background is carpentry and he was in the Navy for 8 years. To see what he's knitted, pictures are viewable here.

His mom taught him to crochet, but I had to give him a refresher for him to make the afghan. My mom taught him how to knit. The first thing he ever knitted was a sock :eek!

This is the afghan he crocheted.

pookysghan.jpg

My wonderful husband supports me in all my needlework endeavors but has no interest in doing it himself, which is fine with me. He has other things he loves and as long as he is ok with stopping at yarn and fabric stores when we travel, we have no problems! He stops at scenic spots to take pictures and I entertain myself while he does...it is perfect for us.

MY hubby does neither but I have known many men who did. There was an older firemanin Boise, Idaho some yrs ago. He stayed at the station & co'ordinated trucks etc. When they were sitting around waiting, he crocheted. Mostly afghans....every firefighter & paramedic there had one. He gave them as Christmas/birthday gifts. Beautiful work too. I know one man who knits and does all the sweaters both pullovers and cardigans for his family of 3 kids & wife. He also made his wife a beautiful coat, sox, blankets, everything. He does 2 color patterns, lace patterns, mixed cables. You name it he can/does knit it. He never takes a tranquilizer, says he doesn't need them. Just give him yarn & needles and leave him alone. He likes to knit while watching T.V., conversing or even reading a book. So needlecrafts are not just for women anymore. It is very manly.

My husband knits but he's pretty new to it. His first project was a Harry Potter Scarf (slytherin colors) for our daughter. Then he knit her a Hermione hat to go with it.

He wants to learn how to do socks and has one partly done one but he made some mistakes so he may be froggin'

You can see pictures of my daughter wearing them here and here

If you are a knitter to you can find the Hermione Hat called the Hatmione here. You can find a free pattern for the scarf here.

If he did-I might have to share my yarn!!:bang:yell

(we do have an afghan crocheted tightly in wool, made by both my mother and father in-law when they were first married) It weighs a ton! :whew

My Loving Husband can crochet, but he prefers to knit :lol! He makes socks, socks, socks and has recently taken to making the fair isle patterns using multiple colors/yarns. He crocheted an afghan a couple of years ago. His background is carpentry and he was in the Navy for 8 years. To see what he's knitted, pictures are viewable here.

His mom taught him to crochet, but I had to give him a refresher for him to make the afghan. My mom taught him how to knit. The first thing he ever knitted was a sock :eek!

This is the afghan he crocheted.

pookysghan.jpg

That's beautiful! Your husband has an eye for colors and patterns and the skills to bring them together, I see. :clap

My husband does not crochet, but he loves the results!

At our state fair they have a speed knitting and speed crocheting contest. Contestants receive free entry to the fair to compete. I told my husband I could teach him to knit so that we could both get into the fair for free next year! Even though he is a bit of a spendthrift, he declined. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband decided he wanted to see if he could do it. He did the same thing when I was teaching myself how to knit. I think it was just the challenge aspect, and that he has little interest in actually making anything! :lol So he "knows how," he just doesn't do it for fun like I do. Maybe someday he'll get into it!

• 1 month later...

LOL! My husband loves to watch me crochet and knit, because he says that they defy physics. He can't seem to wrap his brain around the idea that one long strand of yarn could be made into a garment or a blanket or something. I would love to see my husband try, but I don't think he'll ever be a crocheter.

My dh tried crocheting but never got the hang of it...now he calls me the crochet queen and wants a afghan for our queen size bed....thank goodness we dont have the king size anymore

Archived