Challenge: Tell Us About Your Favorite Item You've Ever Crocheted

i remember i made a baby blanket for my neice(who is now 21)from double strands of yarn. she slept with that blanket until she was 16. the blanket got so bad it literally fell apart. she finally had to part with it.

Can I have 2? I was given a yellow ripple blankie from a co-worker as a baby shower gift...and it became my daughter's favorite. Over the years it got really gross...I can tell you she still has it, it is in pieces and holey and there really isn't much left of it....but it is her blankie after all these 19 years. At some point, I decided to crochet a replacement. Bad idea, but I thought good at the time. I took elaborate steps to surprise her...I worked on it only during lunch hour at work. I put it in a supersize envelope and "mailed" it to her from the lady that made the original one (who she had never met since she left the company and moved away) and I put it in the mailbox and when we got home that night, there was the surprise. Well, my daughter rejected it, hated it, cried, said it wasn't her blankie and took it and threw it in the garbage. I was surprised at her response, but she was young and for some reason this hurt her feelings; and it was supposed to have the exact opposite effect. Later that night, she took it out of the garbage but said "I will never love it." When she got older, I told her the truth, that I had made the replacement and did it with love...and she said she was sorry she hurt my feelings -- which I had to laugh about, cuz I sure wasn't hurt....I felt bad that I had made her feel so bad. So, I think that yellow blankie is probably near to my heart...and while she still has it too, she doesn't love it. The second would be a matinee jacket for my niece when she was a few months old. She still has it and over the years I have made several things for her. There was a time when you would compliment her anything...i.e., I like your shoes...she would reply..."my aunt Donna made them for me". Funny. So it isn't what they were made of, or the particular pattern, but who they were made for, and the love that they were made with.

My favorite is a Native afghan I made out of an Annie's Attic calendar/pattern book out of the 90s.

It's my favorite for many reasons. The combinations of the drop stitches makes a cool pattern and so many don't even realize its crocheted - it looks almost woven unless you know crochet fairly well and take a close look. I also gave it to a charity near and dear to my heart for a raffle. A very good friend won it, then she embelished it with the word "Grandmother" in embroidered Cherokee syllabry and gave it to "our" grandmother....the look on her face was truly precious and I will never forget it. It has since become somewhat of a tradition that this blanket will get passed from grandmother to grandmother in the group...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/Emerald_Spirit/HPIM0943.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/Emerald_Spirit/HPIM0942.jpg

ES

Okay, everyone, it's time for another fun challenge. Think back over all the items you've ever crocheted, from first to last. As you remember them all, please pick the item that is your absolute favorite and tell us all about it. What type of item, type of yarn/thread you used, what pattern, what is it that makes this your favorite?

It might be your favorite because it was the first thing you ever made, or the best thing, or because it meant something special to the person who received it.

And if you've got a picture of this favorite item, share that too!!!:hook

:idea Before the WORLD WIDE WEB entered my life I searched for years for a pattern that I now know is called a magic square. You all probably know what it is. After talking to many people I finally figured out how to do it. Well, as I was manufacturing my umpteenth magic square potholder one day, I thought, I think i could make a purse out of this. I'll just make it up to this point, crochet it up a few inches higher on this side to make a flap and VOILA, I had a cute little clutch-like hand bag. One thing led to another and I modified the origingal pattern with different sized hooks, every kind of scrappy yarn in my bag from thread to the cheapest, coursest yarn. They are all sizes and shapes with little fold over closures or drawstrings. Lined and unlined. I've got a blue million of the crazy things. I love them. I give them away. I give them to little girls. I even use them as gift wraps. It's crazy. I can't get enough of them. If I'm bored and there's a ball of yarn and a hook nearby I go on autopilot and the next thing I know I've got three more little bitty "modified-magic square-pursies laying in my lap. SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP ME! :loco

my ultimate fave is the weasley sweater i made!!!

it was sooo fun to make and i love all the colors!

click here for pics

WHEN I SAW MRS. WEASLEY'S SWEATER IN THE HARRY POTTER MOVIE I ABSOLUTLY LOVED IT BUT...DUH...I NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED MAKING IT. YOURS LOOKS TERRIFIC. I'M NEW HERE AND DON'T KNOW EVERYBODY OR HOW TO FIND OUT EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON...WHO IS SHELL AND HOW DO I CONTACT HER TO GET MRS. W'S FABULOUS SWEATER PATTERN? THANKS SO MUCH. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I made my twin boys their 2nd Halloween costume - They were kings with crowns and robes. My husband teased me about it, but it is something I hope the boys will appreciate one day!

I made my DG a "Big Sister" bag, my first attempt to at following a graph, didn't come out to bad if I must say so. So grateful to the CAL I'd done with this group or I never would have attempted that bag. I then filled it it with toys for her, her gift to open in the hospital when her little sister arrived. Charlene

My very first project. I taught myself to ch, sc, and dc from a book, somehow figured out how to read a pattern and went to work. An afghan shell pattern that I did in stripes with cream and pale pink Jiffy yarn, about 17 years ago. Of course I didn't know much about gauge back then, so it's a huge afghan, but my tension was perfect! It's on my bed now.

This was a hard one, but I guess I'd have to say my favorite project(s) were the Christmas stockings I made for my two youngest sons about 15 years ago. They are intarsia patterns, one is a snowman wearing scarf with snowflakes flying around on a diagonal striped background. The other is Santa Claus standing on a chimney. When I dig out my Christmas ornaments in a few weeks, I'll post pics.

Another fav is the thread Christmas crochet village I made about the same time period. All the little buildings and trees - especially the church - were a lot of fun to make.

I am thinking my favorite is my tabletopper I made for the steering wheel table in the motorhome, but as I was looking through to get a picture, I came across the sewing thread painted doily and love it too....can't decided but here is the tabletopper.... This one will probably be replaced by the Snowfields Tabletopper that Kathy, Katchkan, designed, when I get it done...:clap:clap<a href=th_Copy2ofIM001278-1.jpg' alt='th_Copy2o

my favorite would be my first mo-ez project. i made it for my younger daughter a few years ago. she is now in the phase of getting rid of all princess items. but told me she could never give up her afghan

"cause mom, one day i will have my own grown up house and i can have it to feel like you are hugging me if i get scared of the dark"

ecf1.jpg

what a mushy sweet thought. out of the mouthes of babes. but i have to admit it made me feel glad to know she still wants it even though we are in the anti-princess stage.

Nadine

Archived