Where should i start

Rowansmom

Question

I am just not sure where to start i have a understanding of the bacis stiches but i can not read a pattern all the abbriviations confuses me. Does anyone have any suggestions on site to help me? I would like to make a nice big blanket for me. I don't know anyone who knows how to crochet so i am tring to figure it out on my own. I would love any suggestions you have for a beginner. Thank you

16 answers to this question

I just wanted to say thank you for all the help. I have printed out a page with the Abb. on it so and i am going to keep it handy. Plus i have started doing grandma squares :yayi am so excited about that i just can not tell you i know it is just a little thing but i am so proud of my self

Thank you:hug

i learned by using the 63 squares book, there is a crochet along on here for it. the patterns are pretty easy and all the stiches are shown. The only thing is i dont have the afhgan to show for it (got side tracked with granny squares) but i learned alot and it's a good point of reference

I'm new to crocheting as well and have used different sources. My most favorite and easy to understand is Crocheting for Dummies and have you check out http://www.anniesattic.com as well? there are "video clips" for free that will teach you step by step all of the basic stiches.

I checked out a book from the library when I decided to learn to crochet. The only "how to" book they had was in the children's section. It was perfect for me...lots of pictures, very simple explanations, and taught me to read a simple pattern. After that, it was just practice.

Of couse, I did discover 2 years ago when I picked up the 63 square pattern that I'd been doing a double crochet wrong all that time. Now that I'm doing in correctly, my blankets are much prettier.

I got myself a stitch bible. I love it, I think I got mine at Jo-Anne's or something. Not only does it have the basic stitches, but also great patterns.

Oh, and for joining granny squares I use the flat-braid method. I have a link somewhere...

Onica

I'm glad to hear you've got a plan to deal with the "language". Just one thought about the Granny squares...when you're finished making the squares...you have to JOIN THEM! Painfully boring!!! I guess its a matter of opinion, but I personally did ONE project with "Granny Squares"...need I tell you it became a UFO (Un Finished Object). Its just so tidious! I LOVE making the squares, but the joinging kills me. Thats why I just keep going around and around until I get one GIANT square. It worked out nicely actually because the square I did matched my mothers livingroom upholstery perfectly, and now lays over the back of a chair. I'll have to try to get a pic of it on her chair. Good luck to you. I think somebody else mentioned following the pattern LITERALLY. I stick with simple projects because I like watching TV while I'm stitching, but i have to say, any time I've followed a pattern and really paid close attention to what I'm doing, its come out exactly as intended.

Another thing to do is to get the pattern into your computer and then separate each instruction, putting it on a different line. I did this for my crochet class and it was a big help.

You can even make a little table to check off your repeats.

And use a highlighter to mark as you finish each line.

Have fun!

:heart that idea!

never ever thought of doing something like that

First suggestion is to go to CYCA site here . It gives a ton of information and you can download a very complete pdf file with all the abbreviations and standards of the industry. It is excellent.

As someone mentioned it is VERY important that you know if the pattern uses American terms or European terms. They are different. I don't know why. There should be an international standard, but there is not, so... we work with it.

Another thing to do is to get the pattern into your computer and then separate each instruction, putting it on a different line. I did this for my crochet class and it was a big help.

You can even make a little table to check off your repeats.

And use a highlighter to mark as you finish each line.

Have fun!

I have only learned to read a pattern in the last few months, and my biggest tip is to follow a pattern literally. Sounds like common sense, but in my mind I would be saying "What do they mean? They can't really mean that" etc. But sure enough if I didn't fight it and just followed the pattern just like it was written, everything would work out.

Of course I've been lucky that I haven't come across a pattern that had errors, I'd be totally lost! Good luck, its so much more rewarding to be able to follow a pattern and make so many different things!

:hug:cheer To get started reading a pattern, just do small squares or each stitch, trying to get them similar in size, and then put them together into an afghan.

This way you learn on less stitches so if you make a mistake, you find it sooner.

When you first start to crochet, it is very important that you really look at what you are doing so you recognise the stitches and where they are in relation to each other This way, you can tell immediately that something is not quite right.

Remember too that all patterns arenot created equal. In the US there is a CH = Chain, Sl St = slip stitch, SC = Single Crochet, DC = Double Crochet, TR = Treble, SP = Space.

Each stitch is one bigger than the one before.

CH you will know

Sl St is putting the hook through the work and pulling a loop right through everything including the loop on the hook.

SC is putting the hook throgh the work and pulling a loop through then hooking the yarn and pulling it through the two loops now on the hook.

DC is putting the yarn around the hook first then putting the hook through your work, pulling a loop through, then hooking the yarn again and pulling through two loops, then hooking the yarn again and pulling it through the last two loops on the hook.

TR is the same as the DC but you hook the yarn twice before you go through the work, then take the loops of the hook as for the DC but with one more movement.

SP is any gap made with a Ch then skip a stitch and work into the next as per the pattern.

On the next row the pattern may say to work into the CH SP.

Then you get into Right Side and Wrong Side,

It is quite hard to describe everything to do with crochet because there are so many things that can vary, depending on the pattern stitch you are doing.

Start with the simple CH and do lots of it, even if you have to unravel it and start again. Keep going until all your CHs look even and not too tight or too loose.

Then start doing some SCs along the row. When you have done lots and they are all even, CH1 and turn your work around and go the other way by working your first SC into the same stitch that the CH1 is sitting on.

When you have the stitches looking even and neat, CH 3 and turn. Now do some DCs across the top of the SCs by, this time, missing the stitch the CH 3 sits on and working into all the SCs across the row or for as far as you need to go for the stitches to look neat and even. CH 3, turn.

Work in DCs , (remembering to skip the stitch the CH 3 sits on,) right across the row, working the last DC into the top of the CH3 from the row before.

Doing this, you may end up with a funny shaped piece of crochet but it should be neat. It also shows you that you do not have to do a complete row before you turn around and go the other way, as long as you do the right number of CH to start the next row.

When you want to read a pattern, remember to read the commas, the brackets and the asterisks. They help you to work out which bits you repeat across the row because sometimes a row will have a part of a pattern at each end and full patterns in the middle.

The first row is, when working in rows, is usually called the Foundation row because you are setting up the pattern on a length of CH, then it will start with Row 1 and so on.

Try to learn on a pattern that does not have too many rows or too many stitches to a repeat.

A simple shell is the best thing to learn on for a pattern done in rows, then the simple Granny Square is the best to learn for working in the round.

Hope this is not overload for you.

I do get carried away when I get going.

Relax and have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, Let me know if you are using US patterns or English as they are a little different.

PPS, While I was beavering away with my big explanation, others were saying similar.

I can not read a pattern all the abbriviations confuses me.

Most well-written patterns will have a list of the abbreviations that they use at the beginning. If trying to read a pattern feels like you're trying to crack a code, just paste it into a program like Word and have it replace all the abbreviations with the written-out words.

However, spending a little time learning the 'code' that we use will be time well-spent. Eventually, you may not even translate to the full version. Does anyone else here mentally refer to a single-crochet as a 'sih-cuh' (sc)? :eek

How about the stitch bible? It will show you loads of stitches. I got the happy hooker and it would be great for beginners because it has step by step instructions. Nikki

This is what I did...I knew how to make a chain...but I wanted to crochet so bad...My grandma would have taught me in a heartbeat, (she taught me to chain) but she passed 9 years ago....so I surfed sites until I found a diagram and tried and tried to get a Single stitch. I also found an easy pattern for a scarf...all single stitch!...well then there was the slip stitch to join...which was common sence when you think about it, your just poking your needle through the chain, yarn over and pull...do it it again in the next chain. I made a scarf and a blanket in single stitch. Then I searched to learn a granny square...which you have to learn the double stitch for. I made a GIANT blanket by just following the granny square concept all the way around. Its basically just practice. I really am not good at reading patterns. My friend bought me a book that is "crochet in plain english" big help...it explains all that basic stuff....practice practice practice.:cheer

Archived