Major rant coming on

I am sooo disappointed and annoyed. Three weeks ago I bought 3 skeins of Highland Thistle yarn at HL. I fell in love with the color & texture but didn't know what to make. Bought it anyway. Well, I finally settled on a project. The first skein had 2 knots in it - toward the end so I went on to use it. The second skein had a knot about 3 yards in. Then another about 20 more yards. Then it tangled and, when I pulled on the center, a big free floating glob of yarn came out :eek Not attached to the skein!. So I grabbed the 3rd skein and pulled the center end and another big glob of unattached yarn came out :eek

I live 70 miles away from HL (one way) so it's a major thing to go. Now I have my creative juices flowing and a partial project and the yarn is not really useable.

I'm still debating whether to just return and exchange it - and take the chance the same thing will happen - or pack it up and send to corporate with an irate letter.

Their quality control has a serious problem and they should know about it so I guess I'll send it to corporate.

D#%*^&)@>:{#*

Thanks for letting me vent. Anyone else had a problem with Yarn Bee?

I have used Yarn Bee for several projects and the only complaint I've had thus far is that the Soft Delights yarn sheds worse than a cat. However, I've come to learn it's the nature of the yarn, not a defect. If you contact management I am sure they would take care of the problem for you. Knots and such in a skein is a pain in the behind and if it's serious enough to where you can't use a big chunk of the yarn, by golly I would contact HL and let them know of the problem.

I personally don't think it's a problem with the Yarn Bee yarn itself but a typical problem we all encounter from time to time with a certain yarn...

Rant anytime! We all need to unload sometimes!

I would contact the yarn manufacturer... also check the dye lots - if they're the same then I would say the machine that made the yarn was going bonkers and you're likely to run into the same problem if you go back to HL and buy some from the same dye lot...

I agree with the others (just had to get my two cents in). Contacting the manufacturer might result in a VERY fun yarn package ;) for you.

Keep us posted. (And feel free to rant.. any time!)

I agree. yarn w/ lots of knots, much less chunks not even attached is a real pain. Ya never know, letting them know might turn into a real fun blessing! I've gotten free stuff for complaining (nicely, of course). They figure for every person who calls, another 10 didn't bother to call, so a call can really make a difference....sometimes ;) Try it and see. And, yeah, we all need to let off steam once in a while!

I had bought several skeins of Yarn Bee Soft Delight from HL back in January or February (not sure) when they had it on sale. I just last week used the first skein to make my fringed poncho and I came across a knot in mine where it was tied back together. I only have about 1/8 of the skein left and I never ran across another knot or anything.

And I agree that it does shed very badly! My overall opinion of it is that I do like it very much as far as the feel and color selection goes but I hate that it sheds.

Krystal

:cheer When I had my woolshop, I would return yarn which did not perform properly and eventually the suppliers get the message.

:cheer It is up to your yarn store to put things right for you, then they take it up with the supplier.

:cheer Most should not have a problem replacing faulty yarn because that is what it is, FAULTY.

:cheer I realise that the occasional knot in a pack of yarn can be expected but there should be a limit.

:cheer As for yarn shedding, some are worse than others but if it is too severe, that can also be a fault in the yarn.

:think I did have one case where a customer came back because her cotton yarn was ending up all fluffy. Because I had used the same yarn with no problem, I got her to bring her knitting into the shop so I could show her the problem.

:think I did a few rows on the piece, with no fluff. It was her rough hands and I felt bad telling her so but she had to agree in the end, that it was her problem.

:think Because she had only used one ball of the yarn, I replaced it for her anyway and swapped the whole lot for a tougher yarn which would not fluff.

:cheer Good Public Relations in my book.

:cheer I realise that things may be different in the US but I am sure most shop keepers are aware of bad publicity.

:cheer We tell a lot of people when we are unhappy with a product or service.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

• 2 years later...

I was shopping at my home Hobby Lobby and found this pattern that I liked, so I started buying up Highland Thistle yarn a couple skeins at a time. I was trying to spread the cost out over months, so I wouldn't feel so bad about spending $4/skein. I bought them from at least three different Hobby Lobbys, since my sister travels all over the state.

When I started with this project two weeks ago, all the yarn that I used except for two skeins had a knot somewhere between 40 and 60% of the way through the skein. One of them had nothing and the other had two knots. I'm sort of put out with it, because I was going to try to crochet it correctly, as in just joining at the sides, but if I had done that, I would have wound up buying 27 skeins of the purple just to get through with it, instead of the specified 18.

So, I had to join in the middle of a row all the way through. Is it going to be unredeemable?

I am sooo disappointed and annoyed. Three weeks ago I bought 3 skeins of Highland Thistle yarn at HL. I fell in love with the color & texture but didn't know what to make. Bought it anyway. Well, I finally settled on a project. The first skein had 2 knots in it - toward the end so I went on to use it. The second skein had a knot about 3 yards in. Then another about 20 more yards. Then it tangled and, when I pulled on the center, a big free floating glob of yarn came out :eek Not attached to the skein!. So I grabbed the 3rd skein and pulled the center end and another big glob of unattached yarn came out :eek

I live 70 miles away from HL (one way) so it's a major thing to go. Now I have my creative juices flowing and a partial project and the yarn is not really useable.

I'm still debating whether to just return and exchange it - and take the chance the same thing will happen - or pack it up and send to corporate with an irate letter.

Their quality control has a serious problem and they should know about it so I guess I'll send it to corporate.

D#%*^&)@>:{#*

Thanks for letting me vent. Anyone else had a problem with Yarn Bee?

I haven't had this problem with Yarn Bee, but I did have it with a HUGE lot of yarn that I bought on Ebay from a company called ThreadArt. I bought a lot of 120 skeins of chenille yarn, there were either 10 skeins each of 12 different colors or 12 skeins each of 10 different colors, I can't remember which way it went. The yarn itself was great to work with, it was incredibly soft, and the colors were lovely. However, exactly the same thing that you said happened to you, happened to me. I wrote to ThreadArt and all I got from them was an email telling me that they were sorry that I had a bad experience with their yarn, and they would check the skeins they had in their inventory to make sure the problem wasn't with them as well. That was it. I spent $120 on the stuff and ended up unable to use almost half of it, and the company didn't care one way or the other. I think that's what angered em the most, was that they were just basically indifferent to the whole siutation. From then on I refuse to bid on any more of their products.

I have occasionally run across knots in yarn, and it is annoying but most of the time I can cover the knot up fairly well. But I don't think I have ever had a big clump of unattached yarn in the middle! That would be VERY annoying!

I haven't used Yarn Bee yarn a lot, but did buy some on sale awhile back. Haven't used it yet, so no telling what I will run across.

Thank you so much for posting this info. I have been eyeing that highland thistle for a couple months now, but the price (and the fact that I really don't need anymore yarn) have kept me from actually buying any. The skiens are so small, that I know I would have to buy a bunch of it to actually make anything with it. At least now I have a good reason to tell myself NOT to buy it everytime I walk into HL. LOL Please let us know if you hear anything from the company if you decide to contact them.

Debby

I know your pain, i'm getting ready to contact Bernat bc the first skein of Marina blue Satin Sport I picked up to use (ordered from amazon) I reached into the middle to get started and pulled out a mass of unattached yarn, in not one but two pieces. really frustrating

I would Write to the company I had trouble with some red heart baby yarn and I wrote them they replace the four skines and I did not have to mail the old ones to them

Dorothy

OP - I'm sorry this happened! I hope you can get replacement or your money back!

I know your pain, i'm getting ready to contact Bernat bc the first skein of Marina blue Satin Sport I picked up to use (ordered from amazon) I reached into the middle to get started and pulled out a mass of unattached yarn, in not one but two pieces. really frustrating

I had two skeins of Bernat Softee Baby that were such a tangled mess in the middle that I had to throw away most of the middle (I spent hourse trying to untangle it before finally giving up). The response apologized for the inconvenience but they would not do anything for me, I should return it to the point of purchase.

Good luck!

Archived