Crocheted Coral Reef

Lisaizme

That is pretty amazing. I havent come across any thing like that before, and it is our very own Great Barrier Reef!

I discovered hyperbolic crochet a few months back, and checked out the gallery just yesterday. It's sent me off on a whole new trip. Still experimenting, but I think I'm going to have something unique.

We are currently in the process of remodeling our basement so that our saltwater fish tank can be moved into our family room. (We need a bunch of supporting infrastructure/tank stuff right below in the basement for filter purposes.) Once we get it moved, dh plans to turn it into a real miniature coral reef.

I think it would be really neat to create a crocheted coral reef and display it in a large shadow-box above the real one. I may have to get working on this possibility.

I've bookmarked that website and plan on showing it to dh sometime over the weekend. I may even see if he'll work up some hyperbolic designs of his own for me to try. (Yes, the man is a mathematical genius! Even though he writes software for a living---for NASA and other space/defense projects----the projects he works on require him to use all sorts of advanced calculus and physics.)

Wow! That display of underwater sea-life is beautiful! I first learned about hyperbolic crochet from the Fall 2005 issue of Interweave Knits Crochet magazine. I was really interested, but never did give it a try. Seeing the Coral Reef has encouraged me to pick up my hook & see what happens!

An Ms. Yarnaholic, your idea of using a crocheted reef to compliment your real fish is great! I'm sure your hubby will love it; good luck!

I work with a lady that went to a lecture recently where this project was discussed. I think it is really awesome!

I contacted them about contributing to the reef - they are encouraging people to contribute. If you make something, you can just send the pic, not the actual item if you don't want to give it up. Not sure if you went on to look at the gallery - if you didn't, you should. All the galleries have neat things to look at.

:yay

I've bookmarked that website and plan on showing it to dh sometime over the weekend. I may even see if he'll work up some hyperbolic designs of his own for me to try. (Yes, the man is a mathematical genius! Even though he writes software for a living---for NASA and other space/defense projects----the projects he works on require him to use all sorts of advanced calculus and physics.)

I wish I had your hubby. I'm terrible at math, so my hyperbolic stuff is strictly trial and error. It's a lot of fun, though.

I saved a PDF of the gallery and keep going back to it for inspiration. Those forms are soooo beautiful.

Amy, Your husband sounds like he has a very cool job. My kids both love math, and my daughter is in college studying physics. And she thinks Calculus is fun!!

Wish I could get her interested in Crochet too.

Archived