What do you crochet for a guy???

I want to make something for my brother, but I am stumped as to what. He lives in southern CA, so it's not like hat and scarf would be used very much. (I actually already knitted him a hat, and am supposed to be making him a scarf... for when he goes to colder climates...) So, any ideas? :think I was thinking slippers, but... :hot Thanks for any help. :)

Tina

I want to make something for my brother, but I am stumped as to what. He lives in southern CA, so it's not like hat and scarf would be used very much. (I actually already knitted him a hat, and am supposed to be making him a scarf... for when he goes to colder climates...) So, any ideas? :think I was thinking slippers, but... :hot Thanks for any help. :)

Tina

I'm from So. Cal. and the thing about living here that I'm sure no one from somewhere where it snows can quite figure out is that:

WE'RE ALL WEATHER WIMPS!!!

So he very well might like slippers. I know my feet get (relatively) cold in the "winter". You could always go for a light sweater, or something useful but not to cheezy (guys as a rule don't like crocheted tool belts:P) I'm sure he'll love whatever you end up making him. Good luck!

-Rebekah

I think slippers is a very nice idea, we southerners do feel the cold. 70 degrees and I'm shivering.

If he is kind of weird (my brother is, so I think I assume all brothers are) you could crochet him something silly that would make him laugh and he could show off in an ironic sort of way, like a frou-frou toilet roll doll, or those potholders that look like bloomers.

Regular, non-weird potholders would be nice and useful too.

You could make him a pillow with his team's logo on it, or even just their colors.

Or make a small throw to cuddle on the couch with in the team colors.

Or make both.

If he's geeky, make him a toy mascot. A two inch Yoda or Vader would be great.

Donna's book thong in his favorite colors and beads/charms/initial would also be nice:

http://www.crochetme.com/Feb_Mar_2005/patt_book_thong.html

Donna's comfort pack. Guys get aches, too. Just make it in guy colors and guy buttons:

http://www.crochetme.com/Apr_May_2005/patt_comfort_pack.html

Grilling mitt:

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/aug02_bbqmitt.pdf

Initial pillow (if his is here):

http://wovenspun.com/alphapillow/alphapillow.htm

Rugs if he has his own place.

Thank you, everyone! :D He is not into sports/football teams at all. I don't have any idea what colors his apartment is in. (I know my brother well, don't I?) I am thinking maybe slippers, and some candy, and special treats for his dog. (It's like his hairy son, he says.) Or maybe a dog bone mat (A.J.'s). Or a funny dog sweater. With fur on it. (He has a Boston Terrier). He might think that's funny. :think

Tina

Well the Lion brand website has some awesome free patterns for slippers and other stuff, but if you wanted to go big and he does any sort of entertaining, what about a table cloth? I am working on hope chests for each of my nieces and nephews and that is one the the things I will be including.

It's a challenge sometimes crocheting something for a guy...but all the above are great suggestions. This is what I've made guys including DH...sweaters, even in California...Sacramento gets hot, but "cold" in the winter..yes, Sacramento actually has freezing temps...just seldom, if ever any snow...hats, scarves, afghans...one of my magazines had a pattern for a wallet, a tie...eventually I will crochet a tie for my DH...anything I've ever made for a guy and this is going way back when I was a teen, was always worn or used...

Good luck...

That's okay. Just make him a throw and/or pillow in whatever color the dog is. Then the dog hairs won't show. :lol

Hee hee. Thanks for all those links, that comfort pack is nice, I forgot about that one. I might try the grilling mit, maybe.. I don't know if he owns a grill, though. :think Sheesh, you'd think I'd know my own brother better than this. :lol

seagull1933 He does have one of those belt chain things ? but I don't know...

eurolyons Are you in Sacramento? He lives in Hollywood. Which is why I'm so nervous, I guess... What if a movie star comes to his place and sees what I made? :blush Just kiddin... LOL

don't suppose you have a link for that tie pattern do you? that sounds like an awesome gift for my dad and might actually get him to dress up a bit. LOL

Lisa

It's a challenge sometimes crocheting something for a guy...but all the above are great suggestions. This is what I've made guys including DH...sweaters, even in California...Sacramento gets hot, but "cold" in the winter..yes, Sacramento actually has freezing temps...just seldom, if ever any snow...hats, scarves, afghans...one of my magazines had a pattern for a wallet, a tie...eventually I will crochet a tie for my DH...anything I've ever made for a guy and this is going way back when I was a teen, was always worn or used...

Good luck...

If you want to make something for his hairy son, Annies Attic has a book called Doggie Divas and Dandies, They have a fire hydrant in there that is crocheted. It could be quite a fun gift for both also have a doggie bed. He could use the fire hydrant as part of his decor! lol!:lol

don't suppose you have a link for that tie pattern do you? that sounds like an awesome gift for my dad and might actually get him to dress up a bit. LOL

Lisa

Well there's a knitted tie pattern for free at Lion Brand and what I was going to do was convert it to crochet using #10 thread or sock yarn and using sc's only...

I made my 13-year-old nephew,by his request,a pair of house socks for Christmas.

SocksBlack_GreyHeather.jpg

I made my BIL a bottle cozy in his university colors.

Great socks Catherine! I've made socks for my DH and he likes 'em...

How about making a doggy ghan for his dog? It's not quite for your brother, but if your brother is like me, a gift for my kitties is a gift for me, if that makes sense. Since the dog is small, is could be about 24x24.

Archived