Crochet Answer Book

Humblestumble

Does anyone own this and know if it's any good? I have looked at the Knitting answer book and it seems cool, but I have more problems with crochet than knitting. Especially how many chains to make when at the end of a row, or when I'm doing a tube where I have to close off the row and then chain back up. Little things like that. Partly why crochet bugs me sometimes.

What a coincidence! I just got this book in the mail! I've only just briefly browsed through it, but it is very informative, full of illustrations, detailed instructions. It is written in a Q&A format with an extensive index at the back.

For the example of the questions you asked, regarding the turning chains...

Starting on Page 87 is a section called "Placing the Hook and Turning Chains"

Sample questions: What is a turning chain? Where do I insert my hook into a stitch at the beginning of a row? What does it mean to "insert hook into next stitch"? How do I know if the turning stitch should be counted as a stitch? How do I know whether or not to work a stitch into the turning chain from the previous row?

Regarding a tube...on page 159 the section is "Working with Other Shapes" and on pg 160 the questions: I want to work a three-dimensional shape in the round. Is it possible to crochet a tube? Another question is: My tube isn't straight. What makes it skew? Another one is How can I make my motifs crisp and neat? On page 154: Do I have to use both a joining stitch and a beginning chain when working in rounds? How do I find the end of the round? Why isn't my circle exactly round?

There's a section called "Measurements I Need to Know" where you can actually keep track of measurements of people you will crochet for. It tells about types of yarn, how yarn is made, crochet accessories. You name it, it's probably in here, and yet it's only 4-1/2" wide x 6-1/2" long and 3/4" thick.

One of the ways I have learned to do things, is when I come to an instruction in the pattern I don't understand, I work one phrase at a time-- whatever is in between commas or parenthesis. I'll mark the last row that I am sure that it was right. I'll use a safety pin. Then I'll try doing the pattern instruction different ways that I think it might be saying, and soon it usually becomes pretty obvious which is the correct way of doing it. I've learned alot by doing that. Then if it still doesn't make sense or work out, at that point you come to your buddies at Crochetville and ask for help!

:hook :hook

I have this book out from the library because I like to check out books before I decide to buy them.

I think this one is worth buying. For $12.95 it's got tons of information that a beginner, or anyone else for that matter, can use. And it's small enough to keep in your projects bag!

I've been thinking of buying this book also. Especially for help with certain things I tend to make the most mistakes with... like adding stitches by mistake when I crochet in the round LOL!

I'm happy to see that it gets good reviews.

I really like this as an answer book to crochet problems. The wording is very understandable and covers vertually any problem that a crocheter may come across. It explains things very well.

I also try to get books from the library system in my area before I purchase them. It is just a good way to see if it is worth the investment. In my area, (Northern Illinois) the local library is in a group of about 44 different libraries, so usually, the book can be sent from any library in the group and that increases your chances of getting that particular book.

I would see if your library has it or are they in a group that has an agreement with other libraries.

Good luck.

Linda:manyheart

That was one of the initial books I ordered from Crafter's Choice but they told me it was not available and I'd have to pick out another book.:(

Lynn

That was one of the initial books I ordered from Crafter's Choice but they told me it was not available and I'd have to pick out another book.:(

Lynn

Mine came as a 2 volume set with So Simple Crochet. I had to wait a couple of weeks as they were back ordered.

Hey thanks for all the responses! I am definitely adding it to the list then! Sounds really awesome. I have quite a few problems with things. Especially on this Taz thing I've been trying to crochet for my boyfriend. It looks really weird. I want it to end up looking like taz but the head comes out looking really funky. Hopefully if I get this book it might help me.

You mentioned problems with your Taz project. Are you using the afghan stitch or tunsian crochet or MoEz to do it? I haven't learned those techniques yet (although they are on my to-do list), but I have heard that when you try to do a picture in simple sc's instead of using an afghan stitch or tunsian, etc, that the picture will come out squashed looking and also alot wider than planned. This Crochet Answer Book has some sections on Tunsian Crochet too.

Does anyone own this and know if it's any good? I have looked at the Knitting answer book and it seems cool, but I have more problems with crochet than knitting. Especially how many chains to make when at the end of a row, or when I'm doing a tube where I have to close off the row and then chain back up. Little things like that. Partly why crochet bugs me sometimes.

Love this book! It really does answer all sorts of crochet questions you don't see the answers for in other books.

Lynn

Oh no! I just signed up for that club and chose that too. (I wanted to sign up on line, but they didn't have it as a set on the website, only in the catalog.) I mailed my postcard yesterday.

• 2 years later...

I love my Crochet Answer Book! It's just packed with info and invariably has the answer I'm looking for. I'd say a must-have for anyone who crochets. I also have Donna Kooler's Enclyclopedia which is also excellent in terms of specific stitches and for those who are left-handed and want to learn to crochet.

I think if I didn't know how to crochet *at all* I'd definitely want to check out Teaching Yourself How to Crochet Visually (not sure the exact title, but you get my drift). These would be my top 3. Of course there are plenty of other wonderful books once you actually have a little experience...

I was just on Amazon checking out their recommendations for my list (it is always so long, LOL) and this book was on it. Out of the 38 reviews it received, only one person did not like it. Everyone else thought it was great, commented on everything from the easy transportable size to ease of understanding the questions and answers.

LI Roe

is it called "crochet answer book"? I forgot about the library being a source for crochet books...know where I am going tomorrow...LOL

do you think ebay or amazon would have it cheaper? Is it hard or soft cover?

Yes, it's called The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman and it's reinforced soft-cover. Don't know who would be cheapest...

Not only do I own this book, but, I just used it again today! The main reason I bought was because of the title. It answers alot! I just got back into crocheting, so, thats the main reason for me. Believe me, its worth every penny!!

I want to get the answer book for knitting next. Now, I know that one I will use!:lol

Archived