Crochet/Tumor help

buggaboosmommy

Question

Hello ya'll. I need some crochet help and ideas. A friend of mine, and the mother of two children (her daughter is in my daughter's class and her son is in my son's class) was recently dx'd with a brain tumor. I want to put together a basket of goodies for her, as her surgery is coming up next week. So, any ideas? I'm going to ask both of the classes for donations of items..nightgowns, soft scarves, snacks, etc...but I have no clue what else? Any crochet or other suggestions?

Donna

16 answers to this question

another thing that I know a mom in treatment found helpful was people bringing meals. Once or twice a week a friend would try to bring a casserole or something for dinner so that everyone could have a good meal - even when mom wasn't up to cooking. Even bringing over Boston Market family dinner or an occasional pizza helps.

I'm sure she's worried about her children, too, so my suggestion would be offering to help with the children. I'm sure she'll need that.

I've already said a prayer for her family.

Bless you for wanting to help.

A wonderful suggestion! Luckily she does have family near to help with the children..but with your suggestion, it gave me another idea! I'm going to try to organize, through each of the classes, a playdate calendar so the children can go to their friends house to play after school..get their mind off everything and be a kid for a bit. Thanks!

Donna

I'm sure she's worried about her children, too, so my suggestion would be offering to help with the children. I'm sure she'll need that.

I've already said a prayer for her family.

Bless you for wanting to help.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. A dear friend of mine is also in treatment for brain tumor. I donate a lot of chemo caps for the kids at the hospital where he is being treated. When he was first diagnosed, I didn't crochet, but I sent him a warm pair of funny socks to keep him warm. He loved them and wore them often. Then when he had to go through another round of chemo, I made him a warm hat, a matching scarf and a pair of socks. He wasn't really able to read much at first, but I sent music cds of things that I thought he might enjoy. Lapghans are great for chemo. Bears for the kids. anything that lets her know that you're thinking of her makes a difference. :)

I hope you ahve some good news from her very soon!

I just saw your location..I'm right up the road from you in Fairfield! Small world huh? I know they are shaving at least half of her head, yes. They are actually going in on the top of her head..hear her forehead. I will spare the details. Thanks for your suggestion..I have some Bernat Satin that would be lovely for a cap!

Donna

Yeah, I live close enough to the base, I can get there without going on the freeway... that's why I think it's perfectly logical that your missing H hook made it's way to my house. I have two now, and I have ALWAYS only had one!

I don't know how long it will be for her to be able to read or write after the surgery, but how about some word search puzzles or cross words? I appreciated those when I was in the hospital. Also a good book never gets old. How about a classic? Or better yet a steamy romance?

Hope your friend does well. I'll be sending lots of prayers her way. Let us know how she's doing.

Zella

What about a bedjacket? You know, the above the waist robe type things. They usually have zippers or buttons and she won't have to worry about sitting on it, or it getting twisted and making her uncomfortable.

Elizabeth

My heart goes out to your friend. My maternal grandmother had a brain tumour, unfortunately it was during WWII and the facilities for helping her were not what they are today. All cancer is bad, but when I hear about brain tumours it touches me deeply. Good for you for caring and for showing your care in a constructive way. Please keep us updated, as she will be in my thoughts.:hug

My friend, Heather, made me a lovely comfort pack that was in the shape of a tube with ribbon tying up each end (like a Christmas cracker) and with Lavendar in it. Maybe something like this would be nice to crochet. I will ask her where she got the pattern.

If it's a brain tumor, are they shaving her head? How about a chemo cap?

I just saw your location..I'm right up the road from you in Fairfield! Small world huh? I know they are shaving at least half of her head, yes. They are actually going in on the top of her head..hear her forehead. I will spare the details. Thanks for your suggestion..I have some Bernat Satin that would be lovely for a cap!

Donna

Hello ya'll. I need some crochet help and ideas. A friend of mine, and the mother of two children (her daughter is in my daughter's class and her son is in my son's class) was recently dx'd with a brain tumor. I want to put together a basket of goodies for her, as her surgery is coming up next week. So, any ideas? I'm going to ask both of the classes for donations of items..nightgowns, soft scarves, snacks, etc...but I have no clue what else? Any crochet or other suggestions?

Donna

Send me your mailing address and I'll send a shawl for her. We could pray over it, too. Might give her some comfort. :manyheartcrochetqueen1@verizon.net

Laphgan for when she has to sit for a long time, bed socks, of course very soft hats, moisturizing skin lotion, chocolates or her favorite candy/snacks. Maybe a journal, small photo album so she can have friends and family pics nearby. If she'll be in a wheelchair for awhile, a wheelchair tote would be very helpful.

Facecloth, slippers, soapholder with a nice-smelling soap?

Sorry about your friend, hope all goes well.

P.S. When I first read the title, I thought you were looking for a crocheted tumor! I think I'd better get some more coffee.

Sorry! The worse part of making a post for me is the title. I always type the message first, then go to the title, :blush I didn't even think about making slippers..maybe I need more coffee? lol I just loved the Pooch slippers I seen here awhile ago..those would be great! thanks for your ideas :)

Donna

Facecloth, slippers, soapholder with a nice-smelling soap?

Sorry about your friend, hope all goes well.

P.S. When I first read the title, I thought you were looking for a crocheted tumor! I think I'd better get some more coffee.

Archived