Sampler Stripes Crochetalong

JulieKay

iida - thanks! well, we all understand how important school is so don't stress too much on this. i'm sure you'll work on it more when you have the time!

tekopp - i will admit that this is one project that doesn't stuff easliy into a tote to take with you! i keep this at home and just work on it in the evenings. i couldn't begin to get mine into a bag! (I usually keep some cotton 4 ply with me and work on small dishcloths and such while not at home. right now at work i'm working on a sweater which is a great size for stuffing into my wip tote. this pattern calls for one sc then on dc and it's taking FOREVER but it looks beautiful!

sissee - LOL I know about the DH being around! I had to work on his pillow for christmas at work so he wouldn't see it! but most people can't crochet at work so I can see how it's hard to hide things from them!!! I am joining the crochet olympics too! I've decided to finally tackle Mrs. Who's shrug! (something I've wanted to do for awhile) I've even picked out my yarn! I'm doing it in Caron's Simply Soft and it's almost a rose color.

I will say this much. Because I have wanted to get this sampler ghan finished I have been very good and haven't picked up ANY new projects for the moment! I just got my wool from my winter wool swap partner and some sock yarn from a trade and it's been killing me not to grab that yarn and start stitching, but as part of a new years resolution i don't want to have 100 different projects all half finished!!!

keep stitching everyone!!!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok two things here LOL

first= Donna I am working on my afghan today while I am home alone:)) I have gotten to row 17 and have to stop cause of the pattern:( can you or anyone tell me am I making the popcorn in the DC or the ch one spaces? I can't tell from this pattern that I am using

second = where can I see a pic of this "mrs who"? I saw the design on here but would like to see a pic of it. also I am hearing about the prayer shawl and dishclothes! pics would be nice:)) i have never thought about doing a dishcloth! and never heard of a prayer shawl! or is it just like any other shawl? just a different name?

I just want to say I haven't dropped out I have been working on a layett for a friend and the square of the month and a afghan for another friend . I am almost done the afghan when I finish it I will be devoting my time to this one.I have made it to row 8 . :clap I just keep frogging until I understood the pattern.:yay

sissee - great job on the progress!! Ok, I did mine in the spaces (I think I did it right) and that row turned out great! One thing though, make sure you change colors for the popcorn row. Like I did a beige color the row before and after the popcorn and did the popcorn row in a light purplish sort of color. It really makes the popcorns POP!

snbarclay - i know how it is! i'm just honestly trying to fevereshly finish this so I can move on! it's really getting quite big and a pain to turn rows but I'm lovin' it!

sissee - here's the link for Mrs. Who's shrug! I cannot wait to get started on it!

Hi Donna

Is it too late to jump in here ? It sounds like you are fairly far done on yours . I just finished my flower garden and am ready to move onto bigger and better things. This should be the ticket-- not a million pieces to sew together ~~~

I am going to use Lion Brand Wool-Ease for this all in the heathers colors . :)

Hi Julie!!! Wow! This will be great with homespun!!!!

I actually have it pretty much finished but I still have a couple of skeins so I'm just going to keep adding rows til I run out of yarn! :lol

I followed the pattern to the letter for the first panel, but when I got to the 2nd panel I kinda just went off and let the yarn and hook decide!!! I did NOT fasten off at the end of the first panel and start over, I just kept going and it worked out fine. I honestly think the reason the pattern calls for 2 panels is that it really gets very large and bulky working on it when it gets that big. It's not easy to turn at the end of each row as the thing just gets so big and hard to handle. I honestly preferred the bulkiness of working with it so large as opposed to sewing 2 panels together... I would say do it however you wish as I don't think there's really a right way or a wrong way to do this one...

I almost took a pic of it this morning but opted to wait til the end. I know I will finish it during the Superbowl tomorrow so I'll take a pic of it then!!!!

Glad to have you aboard! It's been very very quiet in here lately!

Well, Donna

As you know, when I'M around, it aint too quiet ! I'm a pretty gabby old thing sometimes . THAT should have been my screen name !

Anyhow, I just love the wool-ease. First time I've used it and it is SO nice to work with .

I am on row 13 so far . I love these afghans that turn out so big and thick and warm !

I think this may be a keeper . I've never kept anything in my life that I made, but this might be the one !

Can't wait to see a photo of yours completed . How's it turning out bed-sized ?

Julie - That's why you and I get along so well. We both love to gab! :hook

Actually right now this blanket is large enough for our queen sized bed, but since I have 2 skeins left I figured I might as well use them up. Heck, maybe when I'm finished it'll fit my king sized bed in the master bedroom!

I am seriously contemplating a trim for this but am at a loss as I don't know how it will look as this is striped. Any ideas? I don't like the "unfinished" look of an afghan without a trim but am not sure how to do it so it looks good. I don't want to do the fringe...

Can't wait to see how yours is going.

So are you sticking to the pattern word for word or are you gonna be a rebel and go your own way? :devil

Hi Donna

Well, as far as stickingto the pattern, I have so far. I'm not any good at figuring out new ideas . I usually have to go with the pattern as much as possible. I just finished the first row of popcorns -- row 17 . The only thing I'm doing a little different is not changing colors when they tell me to. I am using the wool-ease which comes in small skeins, so i just use one til it runs out then start a new color . It is pretty so far. I really like that yarn !

I don't think I'll do the fringe either. I think I'll probably just edge it with sc's since there are so may different patterns on it already .

Wow, that must be one of the biggest afghans you've ever done, isn't it ?

Yes, this is, by far, the largest blanket I have ever made! I really can't measure it as it's very hard to spread it out but once I finish with it, I'll get my DH to help me spread it over the bed and try and give an approx measurement.

I didn't change colors where it told me to either. Well I did for the first few rows then I decided to let the yarn dictate it for me! LOL I really like this afghan because it really is so large that it's forgiving. You really cannot tell if you've made a mistake and if one row is shorter or longer than another. If you accidentally get your count wrong don't worry about it. I think after the popcorns I had like 15 fewer stitches than needed so on the next row I just did 15 increases spaced apart and you really cannot tell I made a mistake.

I vow to finish this tonite, I vow to finish this tonite! LOL Even though my hands are itching to pick up a new project. I told my DH to make sure tonite I was only working on the blanket so that should help me from straying!

Well I got about 20 more rows done on this thing but didn't finish it! :( I found another 2 half skeins that I needed to use for this (I'm using all the Bernat Soft Boucle I have on hand) and the 3+hour Superbowl wasn't enough time to finish... I was so bummed... Oh well. I'm now down to 1/2 of one skein and a tiny tiny bit of another so hopefully tonite...

What a bummer :P

Donna -

If you find much more yarn, it'll be big enough to cover your house !!!

LOL I know! I looked at DH last night and said "Man, this is going to be the biggest afghan in the world by the time I finish it!" It's so nice and warm and cuddly soft that I think this may be our "cuddle together" blanket! :)

Oh, last night he took a pic of me working on this with my 2 doggies laying with me. It was sooo cute! I'll post a pic tomorrow!

Well, I was a bad girl last night... At work yesterday I realized I left the Crochet World with the pattern I was working on at work at home and was left with nothing to crochet in my spare time. So I went in my car and searched through heaps of junk (my car is always full of stuff) and found a couple skeins of yarn. I ended up whipping up a really cool scarf pattern and last night while watching T.V. I worked on my scarf. Bad crocheter, bad crocheter! :devil I couldn't help it! It was if an alien had control of my body!

I don't know how much I'll get done tonite as I have to go grocery shopping after work and with my leg the way it it, usually on grocery nights when I get home I'm dead! We'll see though!

(I was good at one thing though! At the grand opening of HL last night I noticed they had some colors of Bernat soft Boucle I had never seen and it was $1 cheaper than Jo-Anns and Michaels carry it! It was a viscious battle on whether to get a couple more skeins. In the end I won over my yarn habit and didn't buy any!!!)

Well, Donna- it seems you have more will power than I have lately . I'm trying to make a new rule that I won't bring in any new yarn til I use up what I have .

I hope I can make it work.... :)

LOL! Actually about a month ago I finally went through my stash any have it all organized into 4 bioxes.

1 is all redheart/caron and such that are all regular WW yarn

1 is all novelty, eyelash, etc

1 is all crochet cotton

1 is all my WIP's that I have decided to NOT do which will be frogged at one point in time!

I have them all in my bedroom closet on the floor. I actually have a funny story about my stash!

My little poodle Tweety must have a toy at all times. It's like a pacifier! Anyway, last night before bed we were playing with her and she went nuts looking for a toy. We had the door closed so she couldn't get to her toy basket in the living room. Well we kept hearing her run from one side of the room to the other looking for a toy! All of a sudden she jumps on the bed with a brand new skein of Red Heart in her mouth! We were dying! Not only that but she had dragged the yarn all the way from the closet as the "pull skein part" was hooked on the box so there was this trail of yarn! Even though my DH told her "good girl!" I scolded her and told her that mommy's yarn was NOT a toy! LOL I ended up closing the closet door because I was afraid she'd really get into it in the night had I not closed it!

BTW, I DID buy yarn at HL last night, just not the Soft Boucle! LOL P.S. They had the SS in off white so I picked one up for the squares!!!

Archived