Sampler Stripes Crochetalong

JulieKay

Sissie - Can't wait to hear how yours turns out! It's kinda fun to work in secret! Today sounds like a perfect day to have a nice cup of tea and crochet your cares away! :hook

I posted the progress on mine a few days ago. Haven't seen any pics from anyone else yet, but I'm sure they'll be coming soon...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally I got started, now I have yarn (it was sale in a nearby store, got it a bit off even)

The colors are bright pink, offwhite, light brown and black :)

And just in time for a 2 hour long traintravel :P

Oooh, I can't wait to see how those colors will look together!

Sounds like a 2 hour long train ride should give you a good start!

Has anyone else looked ahead in the pattern? It shows 2 panels. I don't quite understand why you'd want to make 2 panels and sew them together. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I've never seen an afghan pattern written like this before...

okay I am embarrased but I can not get past row two. I do not understand . I know yo means yarn over . I did that and insert through next dc that I have no problem with . Okay now yo and pull up a loop got that . yo and draw through 2 loops on hook twice? thats where I am stuck. then YO and draw throughall 3 loops on hook. I am stuck . can someone help me ?

Ok, without having the pattern in front of me, I believe this is what you need to do:

You do YO then insert in next stitch, pull up a loop, YO and pull through 2 loops. Then YO and insert in the SAME stitch, pull up a loop, YO and pull through next 2 loops on hook. Do this one more time, then YO and pull through ALL loops on hook.

It's basically a 3 DC cluster stitch. Again, I don't have the pattern in front of me here at work but if it says to do the entire cluster in the next stitch, you would do as stated, if not, then you would do the same as above except you would work in each of the next 3 stitches like a DC, holding the last loop of each DC on the hook til the 3rd stitch where you'd pull through all loops on hook.

Did that make sense or did I confuse you further??? If I confused you further, I will be able to help more when I get home and look at the pattern. Note to self: Bring pattern to work! :)

Hi Norma

"I know yo means yarn over . I did that and insert through next dc that I have no problem with . Okay now yo and pull up a loop got that . yo and draw through 2 loops on hook twice? thats where I am stuck. then YO and draw throughall 3 loops on hook."

What they are telling you to do is to start out like you're making a dc -- YO, then insert hook into the next dc stitch .Now, YO again and pull up a loop . You'll have 3 loops on your hook .Now Yo and pull through ONLY 2 of the loops, leaving 2 loops on hook . If it's in parentheses, like this ( yo and draw through 2 loops on hook twice),then you'll YO and pull through the last 2 loops on your hook .

I don't have my pattern handy. If this doesn't sound right, please type it out just like the book says and I'll try to re-explain it, but that's what it sounds like to me .

:jumpyayI finally got started!!! man that was something counting out 266!!!

I have three rows done and I believe i am going to like these colors! they really do match my DH:lol

I will try to post a pic later tonight

:jumpyayI finally got started!!! man that was something counting out 266!!!

I have three rows done and I believe i am going to like these colors! they really do match my DH:lol

I will try to post a pic later tonight

WTG Sissie! Yeah, I had to do my starting CH 3 times because my DH kept interuppting me while I was counting! I really haven't counted anymore except when it goes from cluster stitches and stuff to straight DC's. Since that's the foundation row for the next rows, I try to make sure it's right. But you should be home free now! Can't wait to see your progress!!!

Julie, OK, I think it's downright stupid to make 2 "panels" and sew them together... I keep trying to figure out what the pattern maker was thinking! So I am NOT going to do that! It just creates more work! Why can't I simply just keep going instead of fastening off and starting again? I guess we'll see when I get there... Am I a rebel or what? :devil

Julie, OK, I think it's downright stupid to make 2 "panels" and sew them together... I keep trying to figure out what the pattern maker was thinking! So I am NOT going to do that! It just creates more work! Why can't I simply just keep going instead of fastening off and starting again? I guess we'll see when I get there... Am I a rebel or what?

I was wondering the same thing!!! let me know if it works for you before i get there :flowerwe will see how it works for you!!

Hi Norma

"I know yo means yarn over . I did that and insert through next dc that I have no problem with . Okay now yo and pull up a loop got that . yo and draw through 2 loops on hook twice? thats where I am stuck. then YO and draw throughall 3 loops on hook."

What they are telling you to do is to start out like you're making a dc -- YO, then insert hook into the next dc stitch .Now, YO again and pull up a loop . You'll have 3 loops on your hook .Now Yo and pull through ONLY 2 of the loops, leaving 2 loops on hook . If it's in parentheses, like this ( yo and draw through 2 loops on hook twice),then you'll YO and pull through the last 2 loops on your hook .

I don't have my pattern handy. If this doesn't sound right, please type it out just like the book says and I'll try to re-explain it, but that's what it sounds like to me .

yea thanks julie I figured it out . I feel so dum ...... but I got it .:manyheart:hug

yea thanks julie I figured it out . I feel so dum ...... but I got it .:manyheart:hug

Don't feel bad. We all get stuck from time to time. Glad you are able to move on though!

How's yours coming? I managed to do another 2 whole rows last night. At this rate it'll be finished next year! :hook It's just that now that my DH is back in school again (taking college classes at night) we don't have much time in the evenings anymore and that's when I crochet at home. When he's at school, after I get home from work I clean the kitchen, make dinner and do general picking up around the house. I gotta keep reminding myself that after May I won't have to do this anymore. I'll be so happy to quit working in the world and stay at home... (Geez, here I go ranting again! :devil)

I must say though, that this ghan is wonderful. It is sooooo soft and fluffy. I really cannot wait til I finish it!

P.S. My fave hook which I have been using on this has gone missing! I always stick the hook into the project I'm working on so I won't forget which hook I was using. Well, my little Tweety loves to "root" in blankets and especially all my yarn projects. Well she had rooted in my afghan and the hook is now gone! I'm sure I'll find it after I'm finished! Oh well, just another reason to go shopping tonite!

Can't wait to see how everyone's stripes are coming together!

I'm not a gauge person, thus meaning, I usually don't check it, I never make these swatches or anything (I blame it on culture, I've never been tougth the importanse of it before coming online)

well, So I was on row 4, when my bf said: "That is really long..."

he held it up to show me.

He's 1,9meters

when he doubled it, the thing was almost as long as him.

I measured it, and my 3m long tape was too short.

Oh my.

:think

It turns out that not only was/is my gauge completly wrong, But it's 70ish stiches too long.

After a little whining on my behalf, I measured it to 2.1m, sewed in on the one end, and cut (if that makes any sense)

I don't think it will show... but really, I'm in no mood to start a new one, and it is for me, not a gift, so it dosen't have to be perfect....

Suddenly, it goes a lot faster. A lot!

strange? I think not....

:hook

I'm not a gauge person, thus meaning, I usually don't check it, I never make these swatches or anything (I blame it on culture, I've never been tougth the importanse of it before coming online)

well, So I was on row 4, when my bf said: "That is really long..."

he held it up to show me.

He's 1,9meters

when he doubled it, the thing was almost as long as him.

I measured it, and my 3m long tape was too short.

Oh my.

:think

It turns out that not only was/is my gauge completly wrong, But it's 70ish stiches too long.

After a little whining on my behalf, I measured it to 2.1m, sewed in on the one end, and cut (if that makes any sense)

I don't think it will show... but really, I'm in no mood to start a new one, and it is for me, not a gift, so it dosen't have to be perfect....

Suddenly, it goes a lot faster. A lot!

strange? I think not....

:hook

I don't check gauge either! I do try to count my stitches but that doesn't always work either... I believe mine is well over 6 feet long though. I agree with you, if I'm not giving it away, I'm less likely to be to picky about it. I actually skipped 2 whole rows (actually I skipped one whole repeat.) But since I'm keeping it I'm not too terribly upset bout it! I'm sure yours will turn out great!

Evening everyone,

I have 4 rows done now and am going to see if I can do the pic thing in the morning so you can see what i have done and what the colors look like.

I like the way it is looking and thing hubby will be happy with it:)

Hope everyone has a great weekend

I wanna do this one two.I don't have the pattern.

May I see a pic of what it look likes?

I already have 2 colors in mind.

I feel this urge for Red and Chocolate brown. Now do I need a third color?

Can't think what color that would be to go with the red and brown.

I have had this color scheme in mind for a while now.

Does any one think it would look good together.

Red is my favorite color.

Mary Ann:clap

Sissie - So glad it's coming together for you! Keep with it! You'll love it when finished!

MaryAnn - Welcome to the CAL! I PMed you on where to find the pattern. Those colors sound great! I really think you could do this with as many or few colors as you wish. I'm using several colors (Tan, Yellow, Blue, Garnet, Grey, Light Purple) and I love the way mine looks so far! Also, you can really change colors when you wish to. I am using the pattern as a guide but am also letting my own creativity come through. That's what's great about crochet! Being able to make something from a pattern, but modify it so that it suits your own individual tastes! Can't wait to see how yours comes together!

Can't think what color that would be to go with the red and brown.

For some reason I think Sandy and/orr offwhite, to get contrasts, but still kind of match...

I think you could use only two colors, but the pattern advices for 5.

(myself, I'm only using 4, considering leaving out one and going down to three...)

This weekend, I've been visiting my father.

He has no tv, a radio that plays songs even he hate because they are too dorky and so on...

So mostly we've been talking, me crocheting.

On the stripes :manyheart

And it finally feels like I'm making progress, not messing things up to bad or anything (I hope).

And then I ran out of yarn.

I brougth 350g for two days :hook

This weekend, I've been visiting my father.

He has no tv, a radio that plays songs even he hate because they are too dorky and so on...

So mostly we've been talking, me crocheting.

On the stripes :manyheart

And it finally feels like I'm making progress, not messing things up to bad or anything (I hope).

And then I ran out of yarn.

I brougth 350g for two days :hook

What a great reason to go shopping! :cheer:cheer:cheer

Glad you're making progress! Can't wait to see how it's turning out!

I have been working on my Sunburst Poncho from SCC all weekend. I so want to finish it before the cooler weather is done so I haven't picked up the stripes this weekend. I will probably start up on it again this week...

Sissie - The colors are great! It's neat to see the "same" afghan made so many different ways!

How's everyone doing? I am still trying to finish my SCC Sunburst Poncho ( 4 more squares to go! WOO HOO!) So hopefully I'll be able to pick this up again by weeks end. I leave it in the living room and every morning I think "oooh, I can't wait til I finish this and can snuggle up with it!" Since I plan on using this primarily as a blanket on the guest bedroom bed, I need to get a hustle on before I actually have company stay over! :hook

Archived