Graph-ghan CAL - UPDATED with guidelines

lily

ok, I have left my original post intact so that the thread makes sense.

Here are the guidelines I have come up with since this post.

Graph-ghan crochet-along guidelines.

The Project:

Any graph, any stitch, any reasonable blanket size, to include baby sizes. Any colors. The only real rule we have is that it be a graph, and it be a blanket. All else is fair game.

Beginners and experts and all skill levels in between are encouraged to join us.

The time frame: I do not know.

If you have already started a graph-ghan as of today, 12/20/05, Jump on in.

-Tell us your current progress and update weekly. A picture with the

update would be nice, but is not required.

If you plan on starting between today and 2/01/06, Give a holler in this thread

- Tell us what you plan on making, when you intend to start. After your intended start date, update us weekly. Again, pictures would be neat to see every week, but they are NOT required.

If anyone would like to make us a button, that would be cool. I do not think I will have time.

If I’ve missed any important tidbits, please let me know asap, so I can add it here.

In the beginning weeks of January I will be attempting my first of several planned afghans from graphs.

I'm hoping that there are some people out there who are doing the same, around the same time, or who have already started perhaps??

Being new to CAL's and graph-ghans, I really don't know what the guidelines should be, but I see that most CAL's have them. Seeing as how this thing looks to be a collossal pain in the neck (albiet great fun!!) as well as a long term project, the only thing I can think of for a guideline is that anyone participating should probably come to this thread and tell us your progress once a week. Even if your report is that nothing has gotten done.

I'm deciding on weekly for simplicities' sake... it seems like it would be much, much easier to remember to post here every saturday than to try and remember how long it has been since you posted if I were to make it two weeks or even a month. (I would be the airhead and the main culprit in this scenario.)

anyway... Another thing I think would be sort of fun in a nerdy way would be for those of us who have access to cameras and are able to post regular pics, NOT to tell what the pattern is...so we can watch the progress of others and play "hey! what IS that!!" This is DEFINITELY not necessary but if anyone else wants to be a nerd with me please let me know.

although I think I already told in another thread what mine was going to be.

:eek yup. I'm babbling. I'll stop.

:D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been looking into doing my first graph ghan.:hook I really not all to sure where to start. I guess it would be good if I learned how to do the afghan/tunisian(sp?) stitch but i have not found good instructions. like how many loops to put on the hook before working them off? and how to change or carry the colors through. I have read a little on it but it seems quite intimidating to me.

Count me in. I love doing graph ghans :manyheart and have 3 of them planned for this spring :eek (1 needs to be done in March, 1 in May and 1 in June). You can definitely SC the graph ghans if you want. THat's how I have done all of mine so far. I'm planning on using the afghan/tunisian stitch for these new ones though. Check out my epson album in my signature to see the ones I've already done. I'll keep an eye out for more information!

OOOH ! Count me in too. I've learned the Tunisian stitches, gotten the big hooks, graphed out 2 original designs and I've been circling in on actually getting started for awhile now.

If anyone is interested, I got the "Easy Tunisian" hooks - goggle for the web site but I think I got mine from Annie's Attic. I notice they're on sale right now so I bought another set to replace the ones my cats used for chew toys.

I don't like any of the bobbins I've seen for sale so I'm making my own. I'm using plastic, sort of like TV dinner trays but not really. I think any hard plastic would do. I'll just cut out large-ish "8" shapes with a small slit to hold the yarn end, and see if they work. I've also made bobbins out of large straws and they work surprisingly well.

uh-oh ...

Does this mean I have to finish other WIP's?

This is a great idea for those who have not done one before, and believe me, you can always use encouragement and help. I know I drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to do it.

Anyway, the reason I can on here, was to say, that you do not have to use the afghan stitch for a graph afghan. I used sc in all of mine. It works just as well and I found it to be easier.

Just thought I would throw my two cents:2c in.

I can't wait to be able to check in and see how everyone is doing. I think you will all be surprised as to how easy this will be.

Good luck to all and Happy Crocheting:hook

Guest dysfunctionjunction

I am new to the graph crocheting but have always wanted to learn. Is everyone using the same pattern? I need to know what supplies I need and Where to be and when and I will give it a whirl. I am new here but want to learn.:cheer

nope, I see no reason to make any limitations on who can or can't participate, as far as skill level goes.

It would be good to have a few experts checking in regularly. lol

any graph, any skill level, any size, I will be starting mine the first week of january, but I also do not want to exclude people who have already started.. so. If you're less than 1/3 done with one already started, or plan to start anywhere between now and Feb first, that should be good enough.

So. If you want to participate:

-Check in here and let us know you're in.

-Post a weekly update for progress, even if you haven't made any.

I will be editing my first post here for clarity as soon as I have a chance. I'm sort of supposed to be working right now.

ok, since my crochet plans have finally settled in I can give a date for my own ghan.

I will be starting in the first week of january by working swatches and figuring size. the plan right now is to use Caron SS, and I'm doing my graph in a sc, just because that seems the simplest. Probably an H hook, although that will really depend on what the swatches tell me.

I plan to be working on it regularly(i.e... really working on it) starting the last week of january, but I'll start my weekly updates in the end of that first week.

Mine will be a Dallas Cowboys afghan complete with helmet and logo, for my DH.

I"m officially starting tomorrow. Doing Elmo for my DD who thinks Elmo is the most wonderful thing ever. I'll be working with RH, probably an I or J hook, as I crochet VERY tight.

I'm rather nervous about this, so thrilled to have others doing the project with me!:cheer

I'll be getting into this one at some point, I have plenty of graphs just need to pick out the right one etc.

I think it's great to have a CAL so the experts (like Mary Jo!) can give advice and everyone can be encouraged.

I have to get a few (okay a bunch) more WIPs out of the way first, but I'll definitely be checking back!

This should be fun... I ahve done several over the years... mostly small squares of graphs.. log cabins or sunbonnet Sue ...I have been sitting on a graph of a snowman with snowflakes in the corners for years that I got in an old crafting traditions.. seems like a great time to work on it!

Merry Christmas!

Lea

I started one last month...but my child spilled soda all over it and I was to depressed to start over. But I would like to try after the holidays.

Is there any one who can give some tips on changing colors. I keep getting extra stiches. I don't know what I'm doing. My grandfather taught me the basics to crochet when I was 6, and I've had to teach myself the rest. And graphs are the one thing I have trouble with in a large scale.

If someone knows of explanations somewere, I might accually get one done.

Looking forward to seeing all the progress everyweek

:) SurendraSkye

I started last night. Did 10 rows of just a single color and 2 rows of the pattern. So far I haven't tried to pull out my hair. It actually wasn't as bad as I remembered. I think having the yarn bobbins is helping, as opposed to just having a lot of skeins hanging off the work. Don't know how much I'll be able to do this weekend. I'm cooking tonight.. .then there is tomorrow and I may just crash on Monday!

I am just finishing a graph ghan of John Wayne's head in silhouette for my father. I used a moez hook and the tunisian stitch. I like the monster sized hook and this stitch because it's easier on my carpal tunnel plagued wrist--there's less movement and less pain. I'm really glad it's turning out so well.

A few years ago, I tried a graph ghan in sc and gave up because of all the tangling of the yarn. Since then, I've learned to turn the work clockwise on one row and counter-clockwise on the next row. This keeps the tangling down to a minimum. I might go back and try that blanket. It was a teddy bear holding some baloons.

Good luck to everyone.

I am just finishing a graph ghan of John Wayne's head in silhouette for my father. I used a moez hook and the tunisian stitch. I like the monster sized hook and this stitch because it's easier on my carpal tunnel plagued wrist--there's less movement and less pain. I'm really glad it's turning out so well.

A few years ago, I tried a graph ghan in sc and gave up because of all the tangling of the yarn. Since then, I've learned to turn the work clockwise on one row and counter-clockwise on the next row. This keeps the tangling down to a minimum. I might go back and try that blanket. It was a teddy bear holding some baloons.

Good luck to everyone.

I'd love to see a picture of the JOhn Wayne afghan!

Hi everyone!

I really wanted to try my hand at this and have been meaning to start on a Claddagh Throw for my newlywed cousin. But... I wasn't sure how to start!

Here's the chart:

http://www.nezumiworld.com/crochet_042.htm

Does anyone have any recommendations on websites? Tips for starting off?

I was planning on doing the throw in sc with 2 strands of WW yarn. Is it better to use more than 2? Less than 2?

I have no idea :)

Any tips for color changes? How to start?

How to make the chart bigger?

I know - too many questions. I just don't know where to start :) I consider myself an advanced beginner...

take care,

Molly

I have to check new posts or the CAL forum more often - I missed this. Duh! Anyway - I have 2 graph-gahns planned for next Christmas - and eagle with the flag behind and a wolf (still search for the right graph). Since I have a wedding coming up in Nov, I want to have these done by early summer so I'm not stressed about the wedding or Christmas afterwards! :)

Long story short: Count me in! :D

Here is what I have gotten done on Elmo so far this week. Not too much time to spend on it with recovering from Chirstmas! The graph is kinda tiny, but once I do a boarder around it, I think this will work up into a nice size for my DD-- she's only 18 months old, so I'm not wanting anything huge. As you can see, I need to work in the ends.

100_0324.jpg

Here is what I have gotten done on Elmo so far this week. Not too much time to spend on it with recovering from Chirstmas! The graph is kinda tiny, but once I do a boarder around it, I think this will work up into a nice size for my DD-- she's only 18 months old, so I'm not wanting anything huge. As you can see, I need to work in the ends.

100_0324.jpg

Your Elmo is comingout nicely

I want to join this cal too but I've never done anything from a graph before so this will be be my first.I will start in Jan

Archived