Graph-ghan CAL - UPDATED with guidelines

lily

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I love working on graphs. :manyheart I'm almost done with the graph portion of my Elvis afghan. I'm on row 113, and the graph is 128 rows.

I know it's not going to be nearly big enough as a full fledge afghan, so I'm going to add rows of granny stitches around the afghan. I'll post a picture once it's completed. :cheer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also how do you calculate how much yarn of each color you need?:)

Really you can't. I just make a rough estimate and buy a couple extra skeins. Almost all craft stores will take back unopened skeins. ;)

I almost forgot to mention...I'm crocheting my afghan withhout bobbins. I tried WalMarts, but all they had was needlepoint bobbins. I should look into JoAnn's for bobbins. I tried putting small balls of yarn in plastic sandwich bags and tying the ends, allowing the yarn to poke through a small hole. But I'm still getting knotted up. :thair

Oh well...less than 20 rows to go, and the last 6-7 rows have only one color change per row. :jumpyay

I did it!!! I completed the graph portion of the afghan, and I didnt' pull out any hair in the process!:cheer:lol I have to do the boarder, which I envision being rather large, but I still should be done this week. I know it was only single crochet, but this was something I was so intimidated by, so I'm rather proud of myself for stepping outside the box.

I'll post a picture when it's all complete!

I did it!!! I completed the graph portion of the afghan, and I didnt' pull out any hair in the process!:cheer:lol I have to do the boarder, which I envision being rather large, but I still should be done this week. I know it was only single crochet, but this was something I was so intimidated by, so I'm rather proud of myself for stepping outside the box.

yay!!! I can't wait to see the pics!

heres my late update. I thought i had solved the size problem, I was just going to add 20 row of black on each of the short ends and make it a square, then add a border and then I didn't know what.

so I got about 10 rows of black done, when I realized that

a.) I would have to work the graph sideways, which for some reason I do not want to do. I can't explain it, some anal retentive part of me is screaming 'NOOOOOO!'

b.) It would be much easier to just make the graph, and then look at it to decide whether it would be better to make more graphs and join for the afghan, or whatever I planned to do, and to add the black first would be silly.

c) The Colts were losing the playoff game.

so, with much weeping (ok, not weeping, I was yelling at the tv and yelling at my yarn and making my hubby laugh at me) I frogged the whole thing.

It'll actually be a relief to just start the stinkin' graph this weekend. I'll post a real progress pic sunday night, even if it's just the starting chain. lol

Congratulations! :clap

I also finished the graph portion of the afghan, and I think it turned out well. I wasn't sure if you could tell it was Elvis, so I took it to work and showed it to a couple of co-workers. They could tell immediately.

Now the bad news. :eek

I'm having problems with the border. I envisioned about a dozen rows around of double crochet grannies. However, I've done about two rows, and the afghan is bunching up. :( I'll probably have to ribbit the rows. Would just making a dozen single crochet rows work?

Congratulations! :clap

I also finished the graph portion of the afghan, and I think it turned out well. I wasn't sure if you could tell it was Elvis, so I took it to work and showed it to a couple of co-workers. They could tell immediately.

Now the bad news. :eek

I'm having problems with the border. I envisioned about a dozen rows around of double crochet grannies. However, I've done about two rows, and the afghan is bunching up. :( I'll probably have to ribbit the rows. Would just making a dozen single crochet rows work?

My boarder is startign to not lay flat either. I'm just doing rounds of SC. I think if I block it that will end up being fine. Maybe you just need to block yours when done.

My boarder is startign to not lay flat either. I'm just doing rounds of SC. I think if I block it that will end up being fine. Maybe you just need to block yours when done.

Oh man...I'm a little worried about blocking. I've never blocked before.

:eek

You'd wait until the entire afghan is completed?

Oh man...I'm a little worried about blocking. I've never blocked before.

:eek

You'd wait until the entire afghan is completed?

Blocking sounds intimidating.. but really all it is is getting the afghan wet, gently pulling it into shape and then letting it dry. And yes, I'd wait till I was all done.

And where is our picture of Elvis? Or are you waiting till you've finished the boarder?

Blocking sounds intimidating.. but really all it is is getting the afghan wet, gently pulling it into shape and then letting it dry. And yes, I'd wait till I was all done.

And where is our picture of Elvis? Or are you waiting till you've finished the boarder?

Cold feet, I guess. Or, I'm lazy and don't want to drag out the digital camera.:blush

I finished Elmo just a moment ago. My daughter was already trying to use it while I was finishing up the boarder. I had fun doing it, and now feel like I can tackle graph ghans and not be so frightened. I am glad that I started on something small. Here he is:

100_0371.jpg

Ready set go!!

I'm finally able to start my son's ghan!! He informed me the other night he wants it before his B'day in May. He still doesn't know about the design. There's only 3 colors so no big problem there.

I love the Elmo!!! You said it was small--what are the deminsions? My great nephew would love it!!!

I want to see Elvis Too!!

I've got to break down and buy me a digital camera. I've been taking reg pics, but it takes too long to fill up the camera.

I finished Elmo just a moment ago. My daughter was already trying to use it while I was finishing up the boarder. I had fun doing it, and now feel like I can tackle graph ghans and not be so frightened. I am glad that I started on something small. Here he is:

100_0371.jpg

Kathryn! your elmo is looking very cute!! great job and well done!

hugs

Vims

I would so love to join this. I did one before my first one ,and when i washed it i got holes in it.:( So i am scared to start another. i have a wolf gran that i really want to do but i don't want to do all that work and have it fall apart. Does anyone know what i did wrong? How do you keep the tarn from tangling that was another problem. thanks Linda

Great job on the Elmo. I'm still waiting for my pictures to get developed before I post anything. I've finished my Football Bear ghan and am planning on starting a Patriotic Horse graph from the MOEZ yahoo group.

Elvis.jpg

I may still go ahead and block it...it's not laying completely flat. But I think it turned out OK. :clap

Next graph project...the Snow White baby afghan for my great niece. However, I'm doing it for the Crochet Olympics, so I can't even start it for another 13 days. I'm winding small balls of yarn in advance and putting them in small plastic bags in advance, so all I need to do is crochet.

Took me a little over a month to do Elvis, but I didn't work on it full time. Need to get Snow White done in 16 days, but it's not going to be as big.

Archived