Swirl Crochet-Along

woolandflax

Come on in and stay awhile! We are crocheting the Swirl sweater jacket from CrochetMe. If you'd like to join us and crochet-along, just post with your intention to join and you're in! We'd love to have ya.

A big thank-you to Vigilant20 (Lynn) for making us some awesome buttons!!

Here they are, use whichever one you like best. Please save them on your own server to save my bandwidth. Thanks!

swirlcal.gif

swirlalong.gif

Let's get crocheting!!:hook

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rebecca,

I am also interested. The swirl jacket really caught my eye and after Christmas would be a good time to start on a "for me" project...:cheer Keep me informed.....

Just noticed this post - I've been wanting to do the same thing after the holidays. Count me in. And also count me a rookie - I don't really know how to participate in a crochet-a-long. Can someone fill me in?

Sure, it's not a complicated thing. Just post your intention to join us here on this thread then keep us updated on your progress. We are crocheting-along to cheer each other on, help answer questions, and see all the pretty completed projects! Happy to have you along. Looks like we will have a group after all. (oh and sidenote here, woolease is a wool/acrylic blend, it won't shrink, felt, or smell like sheep! lol. It's also cheaper than wool but softer and warmer than 100% acrylic) What colors are you all gonna use? I'm sticking with my current faves: pinks & browns. I'm getting LB Woolease in Mink, Mushroom, Dark Rose Heather, and Rose Heather. :c9

Rebecca, how much yarn are you buying to make your sweater, I know we need 4 colors but how much of each color do we need, I wouldn't mind going out to get it this week.........that way I pretty much commit myself to the project!!:hook

Maria, I'm getting 4 balls(197 yds each) of each of my four colors. I plan on doing the sleeves in one of the colors, the collar in one, the main part of the jacket in one and the edging in one, besides the swirl. I know I'll have some left over but that's okay because I had designed a hat over a year ago using the same swirl technique and will make it to match the jacket.:)

Hi...

I'm new here, but I love the idea of a crochet along. I really like that swirl pattern, and I'd love to try it... I read the instructions rather quickly and came away sort of scratching my head... but hey... I love a challenge.

What I would love to do is do the swirl, but turn it into a purse instead of a sweater. Could I still crochet along?

Joan

Joan, I want to say let's not, but on the other hand, I get excited about learning new techniques too, so go ahead! join us! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Make sure you write that pattern down as you go, you never know when you're creating the next "I HAVE to make THAT!" pattern.

I also love this pattern. I'm not sure about all of the different colors of the swirl, but I definitely want to give it a try. After the holiday's sounds like a good time. Bring it up again and I'll try to join you.

I love it! I saw the swirl in a piece somewhere before, and vowed that I would give it a try sometime. And since a new sweater/jacket is on my to do list, now seems like perfect timing. I'm hoping to use yarn from my stash, though. I'm not familiar with the yarn the pattern calls for. I have some Shetland Chunky that I probably have enough of. Is the Alpaca a chunky or is it a worsted weight?

No problem Kagome4,

just stating your intention to make the project makes you a part of the crochet-along. Just keep posting here on this thread about your progress, show pictures of your yarn, work-in-progress and when it's all done. We'll be here if/when you get stumped in the pattern and need help and we promise to cheer you on to completion! It's really not hard, I promise.;)

Mudpie,

I'm pretty sure the alpaca used in the pattern is a worsted weight not a chunky/bulky weight. If you use the Shetland Chunky you'll have difficulty getting your jacket the right size unless you're experienced with changing the gauge on a pattern. Don't feel restricted to using the yarn called for in the pattern. Just about any yarn is fine as long as you can get the same gauge and drape as the original has in the pattern. Do you understand what I mean?

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in giving it a whirl. I seem to have bad luck when it comes to making wearables. I get it semi-started and then run into a problem, get frustrated because it doesn't work out for me and end up scrapping it.

I've not used any fancy yarns myself except for trying a small swatch with homespun and got very irritatated because I couldn't find my stitches. I'd love to try this with some nice Caron Simply Soft yarn, do you all think this would be an okay pick for yarn? Thoughts?:)

Thanks!

Krystal

Okay, are we about ready to start? I have some yarn almost decided on - it's worsted weight variegated for the swirl, then I THINK blue for the body. Unless I change my mind again! Also considering a pale earth-tone palette.

Anybody else?

Sure, let's get the CAL moving!! If you are crocheting along with us, give us a post with your yarn ideas and yarn pics are yummy!:D I think this will be a great pattern to work up in so many different yarns!! Everyone should be able to find something they like in their price range for this. I know I was planning on using woolease but now I'm thinking of experimenting a bit and trying the RH Symphony on this. What do you all think? Maybe even a little bit of the LB Moonlight Mohair thrown in there for some sparkle. Sound good? I'm hoping to get my yarn this next week. Will post pics when I do.

the blues sound very pretty to me!! But earth tones would be very verstile as well if you have the skin color to pull them off. I can't wear most of them.

I plan on using a blue palette too, denim, off white, navy and grey........my yarn selection will definately be RH.....I hope I don't run into any problems, I don't make wearables so I'm hoping to finish this one.... I will get the rest of my yarn together and I want to get started on it Sunday the first day of 2006!!

:woo here we go :hook

Archived