Ergonomic hooks?

Sharon

I have seen people list "ergonomic hooks" on their wish lists. Do you have specific ones in mind? I only know of clover soft touch hooks. What else are there, not counting the home made kind with clay handles. I need to add some to my list.

HI, I bought some called by Skacel and I think they are called Addi Turbo crochet hooks. I ordered them online from Lonesome yarn co. in Texas. First I googled "ergonomic crochet hooks" then I looked at them online. Have you used Clover? I think they look comfortable. Are they? I do like mine but I only bought a couple because I didn't want to spend too much on something untried. :hook

I love the Clover hooks. They take some getting used to, but I find myself making more & more stuff with them because they're so comfy. You do have to be a bit careful, though, as they're different sizes than the Boye hooks I think most of us are used to. Their G hook is 4.5mm, for example, where the Boye G is 4.25mm. I have one of their G hooks and one of their F hooks (which is 4mm instead of the 3.75 I think the Boye is) because so often my gauge falls right between the F & G or G & H of the Boye hooks. They sort of round out my collection...

But that's not the topic, so I'll stop now.

Our local Michaels got in a new shipment of ergo hooks and as I was looking at them last night I opted not to buy one til I had more info. The length of the hooks were signigicantly shorter than the aluminum or plastic ones I'm used to using. I started wondering if this would affect my comfort while crocheting...

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd say it was about an inch or so shorter than regular hooks...

You can make any hook ergonomic by buying those foam covers. I've seen them at Michael's or you can order them online at Jo-ann's. Much cheaper than replacing your hooks. I suffer from tendonitis, and have tried various things, including the Clover hooks--which didn't work for me because they're too short. All my hooks sized under K now have foam covers and I find crocheting to be much more comfortable...PAM

You can make any hook ergonomic by buying those foam covers. I've seen them at Michael's or you can order them online at Jo-ann's. Much cheaper than replacing your hooks. I suffer from tendonitis, and have tried various things, including the Clover hooks--which didn't work for me because they're too short. All my hooks sized under K now have foam covers and I find crocheting to be much more comfortable...PAM

You mean those foam covers they make for pens and pencils or is there something specific for hooks? THANKS!

You mean those foam covers they make for pens and pencils or is there something specific for hooks? THANKS!

Try this web site. It is for Herrshners (spelling?).. Anyway, it is for the covers for the hooks.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/sku-012900-0001__id-3512.html

WW012900t.jpg

These are what she means. I have them on all of my smaller hooks. They're really comfortable, and most places that sell crochet hooks sell the cushions as well. :hook

It's a good idea to write the size of the hook on the bottom of the cushion with a Sharpie so you don't have to constantly pull down the cushion to see which hook is which. Nice people won't ask me how I know this. :blush

When I wrote that in Argentina I can't get an ergonomic hook I meant the Clover hook. This hook has an ergonomically design and soft touch handle that ease aching fingers. I've handmade my own hook cushions as my finger's problem began, but it still hurts and the cushion looses it softness after some days crocheting. Looking at the Clover's add in a magazine I liked them very much!

I carve hooks, and I try to make them as comfortable as possible, depending on how the hook is held. Are you an over or under hook holder? My hooks aren't turned, so they aren't uniformly round and it makes a difference, i think, on how they feel. If you hold your hook overhand like a pencil, (i guess that's also called "old style") the hook can be carved a little different than one for underhand (held like a toothbrush).

My theory is that round is a difficult shape to hold, and surfaces that conform to the hand are better.... at least that's what i've been trying (i've only been making hooks for a little less than a year).

You can see one of my underhand style hooks in my response to Julie (#28 under my introduction "howdie from ne washington state"). I'd appreciate your comments on my theory.... my hook designs are evolving but i'm sure could stand further improvement.

I don't usually have much problems with crochet when I am using worsted weight or thicker yarn. However when I try to crochet with thin yarn or thread, my hands cramp up after a only around 10-15 minutes. I would really like to start using thread and thin yarn, but I get too frustrated with the pain. I thought after a few days my fingers would adjust, but that didn't seem to happen. :irk I am wondering if an ergonomic hook or a hook cushion would solve this problem. I would prefer a hook cushion because I already have the small hooks, but if ergonomic hooks work better than hooks with cushions I will try that.

I don't usually have much problems with crochet when I am using worsted weight or thicker yarn. However when I try to crochet with thin yarn or thread, my hands cramp up after a only around 10-15 minutes. I would really like to start using thread and thin yarn, but I get too frustrated with the pain. I thought after a few days my fingers would adjust, but that didn't seem to happen. :irk I am wondering if an ergonomic hook or a hook cushion would solve this problem. I would prefer a hook cushion because I already have the small hooks, but if ergonomic hooks work better than hooks with cushions I will try that.

A lot of women use a hook cushion.. You can find them at any craft store and even some walmarts.. Here is a link to what one looks like... For me, it just didn't work very well. I think it's operator error ... For thread, I use some thread hooks made by Addie Turbo. My mom bought them for me since she's a knitter and knew the addie name.... However, someone in this forum posted about Clover Soft Touch Steel Hooks. I love my CLover soft touch regular hooks.... I wish I had gotten the steel ones, but oh well..

note: I just googles for the link to a picutre of the soft touch hooks.. I havn't seen them in stores. Only on line...

A lot of women use a hook cushion.. You can find them at any craft store and even some walmarts.. Here is a link to what one looks like... For me, it just didn't work very well. I think it's operator error ... For thread, I use some thread hooks made by Addie Turbo. My mom bought them for me since she's a knitter and knew the addie name.... However, someone in this forum posted about Clover Soft Touch Steel Hooks. I love my CLover soft touch regular hooks.... I wish I had gotten the steel ones, but oh well..

note: I just googles for the link to a picutre of the soft touch hooks.. I havn't seen them in stores. Only on line...

Thanks, I will give them a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived