Yarn for a pattern? Pattern for a yarn?

It depends.  Most often it is the pattern.  However, there are times when I look at the yarn room I realize I need to use up yarn.  Recently I've been working my yarn around the doll pattern donations to figure out what I can make with stuff on hand.  Then when the Joann sale hit I bought yarn I knew I was going to need to fill donations I make each year and to finish off an afghan I need for a graduation this year.

Your question made me laugh:).

Because it should be the pattern first or at least an idea what we are going to make out of that yarn. BUT, that is not the way usually works with us. We buy a lot of yarn just because we like that yarn or is on sale. Or we were just passing that yarn store and we just had to stop to "look". We never just look, we are almost always coming out from that store with bag/bags full of yarn. Almost all of us have so much yarn at home that we do not even know what to do with all of that??  :think

All those sales on Internet they are not helping much either LOL.

Krys

PS: Once a while I donate few bags of yarn to Salvation Army. That helps to make room for more yarn :rofl 

:laughrollI have to pretty much agree with Krys, I usually start with the yarn.  If I go to a store I like, I get intoxicated by the yarn fumes and can't resist buying some.  And online, once you sign up to be notified of new yarns and sales, well......

Besides how would I know what yarn I might like to use for a specific pattern, if I never worked with it before?  Gotta have some sample yarn to swatch and make those decisions :lol

I'm a pattern first kind of gal. I find it easier for me to find a pattern,  then yarn. The couple of times I bought yarn first, it's taken me a really long time to find a pattern. (Some don't have a pattern, yet. Lol)

My favorite place to go yarn "shopping" is in my stash.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:31 AM, redrosesdz said:

I'm a pattern first kind of gal. I find it easier for me to find a pattern,  then yarn. The couple of times I bought yarn first, it's taken me a really long time to find a pattern. (Some don't have a pattern, yet. Lol)

My favorite place to go yarn "shopping" is in my stash.

That is because you are not a yarncoholic like some of us! LOL.

Krys

On 12/28/2017 at 8:31 AM, redrosesdz said:

The couple of times I bought yarn first, it's taken me a really long time to find a pattern.

You say that like it's a bad thing. LOL

I love to stash dive as well, then find a pattern for that pretty yarn.

Oh definitely the yarn first.  I just love holding and even caressing beautiful yarns and imagining what I could create with it.  I have been so fortunate in running across amazing finds at garage sales, thrift stores and church rummage sales.  If my wallet lets me, I snatch up both serviceable yarns and/or high end yarns when I find them at these sales.  Then I can go "shopping" in my stash.  When I run across a really great pattern I am ready to start stitching. 

Archived