Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

All I did was blink and Darski has 3 new projects. They are all so nice! I would love to hear what kind of shortcut you found for the daisey pattern. That block takes me forever. I think I have 2 or 3 finished.  Love the purples a lot.  I like the fiber spider guy. He can be a bit um, enthusiastic, but it's kind of cute. As soon as I finish the shawl I started, I'm going to finally try one of those star blankets you guys all make. 

What brand of yarn do you generally use?  I took the little blanket I made from your flower block to the knit shop near work. The ladies there were over the moon for my simple little project. 3 of them asked me for the flower block pattern.  

And Linda, I somehow missed the post you made that said you sent off 50 birds nests. 50? Wow, that is a lot of work. Yay! 

By the way, I don't know how that quote block got inserted and I don't know how to remove it!!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't find a shortcut; I just added extra sts to the petal so that it is fatter.  I like it with more fullness.  You know it is probably like banging your head against the wall :bang but I find that I miss this square when I finish a ghan.  that is why I started another one.

if you look closely you can see 6 sts on the last rows instead of 5.

compare.JPG.d8666794b6defefe698809b1b236810f.JPG

Oh that's funny. You said make the petals "fatter" and I thought you said "faster"!  I can see the difference. I have a 32 page instruction book with pictures for making that block. When I get one block done I feel like I should have a party.  I need to hunt those blocks down so I can show them to you guys. They are very fun, but they just take me a long time to work up. Maybe if I made 3 or 4 in one day, I would get the pattern learned a bit better. 

I finally tried a diaper cover to finish my stroller set. 

The blankie started as a square I didn't know what to use for so I just kep going and called it a stroller blankie :rofl

ystroll1.jpg.e02f552a2beaa31e7edca2c8ac159941.jpg

ystroll2.jpg.2f7e25741f652a860cccba7c14b43687.jpg

Stroller/car seat blankets are very popular now. Love the diaper cover!

i have a confession...I murdered my shawl. The rows started changing colors in annoying places and the whole pattern was just hard to see. Great pattern, wrong yarn, so as much as I hate frogging because I see time just flying away, I had to do it. Sigh...

I am so sorry this happened.  it is tough but sometimes our art demands that we make the hard choices. 

...to be honest; so far I am not thrilled with this type of yarn.  It looks good in other peoples' projects but I can't seem to make it sing :(

So I've been a bit behind on my hat a week...here is #27. I made it before I started the shawl, but set it aside and kept forgetting to wash it. This is Michaels' CraftSmart yarn. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f0c4be556d171490c4b3b080f1b40204.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.38f047a5895ff1245906547e6b50f007.jpeg

Darski...that shawl was one of the first things I have really taken apart in a long time. I was crocheting with a friend who was frogging a few projects and when the color started to change mid-row...I started complaining to her and realized I was making myself miserable. With her encouragement I started to take it apart and it didn't feel bad at all.  It actually felt great to get the burden of the project I didn't like out of my mind!! 

I love the pattern, though and will try again in a solid. 

this cowl (and hat) started as a potential blankie but I got tired of working the pattern so I turned it into a lovely cowl.  the hat does not suit my "head" but it does my my head IYKWIM :rofl  I do like this "fans" pattern - not sure where I got it

599f296351f78_fans01.jpg.43f2811a837bedd5b5fa9ead7d857838.jpg

599f2965c55ff_fans02.jpg.bbca02acec3b0dac6d0deb628d7f0789.jpg

I have more projects but I'm just not into taking pics lately :eek

Darski, your projects are all so pretty!  I'm sure you've had fun working on such a variety of items.  I love the sunshine colors in the baby outfit.  I don't know why I am still surprised at how fun your projects are, I should be used to it by now. What is up next? 

The Christmas rush has started for my quilting business. Three weeks ago I had no quilts from customers (I thought I would get some of mine done) and now I have 7 and I'm taking in 2 more tomorrow, so I'm going to be busy. But I can't stand up for too long, so I mix standing and quilting with sitting and crocheting, so I will still get my yarn on. 

"My" Michaels got a bunch of new Caron Cakes...extra large yardage, a skein with a matching pom pom, #6 chunky cake and one with speckles. Lots of fun.

On 8/24/2017 at 2:27 PM, darski said:

Caron's Comfort shawl.  the edging is the big selling point.  the Pattern calls for another colour row before the edging but I didn't like that plan.  this is a spring-y green with navy.

599f28135884b_comfortSh1.jpg.7acfe36b8fa8709caa93b586e1ef9ce6.jpg

599f281569169_comfortSh2.jpg.6b00504938388532b44913886ab3d04e.jpg

I like your version much better--color selection and placement.  Yours also looks lacier.

I have my "toddler set" finished.  the chest on the top is 24" which I take to mean a 20" chest with 4 inches of ease.  the elastic top skirt is set to fit a 20" waist which is about a Toddler size 2.  the skirt length is 9".  I used a 5.5 mm hook instead of the 5mm hook they used.  it made a huge difference in the size.  I also chose not to add sleeves as it looks like it would fit over a turtleneck sweater and tights.  the fluffy thing is a hair bob.

the Pattern

tod01.jpg.150a4c95e63313437a9323c6a97f36d0.jpg

tod02.jpg.3d4b852d8915d150bfc67f31a6df9faa.jpg

tod03.jpg.71a250325e5f08c0dc795eaf43f0687b.jpg

Nice set Darski!! I don't think I have seen you do a skirt before. 

I guess with so many people in Houston (and other parts of Texas), I suppose it will be a bit easier to find a place that will need dishcloths and other household things, so I might focus on that kind of thing for a while.  But for now, I give you hats 28 and 29. The red, white and blue is Micheal's low end CraftSmart brand and the grey are mill ends that feel like Caron Simply Soft.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e42446af721d32e05481c89162586f9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3594bf051fbe4d4b151f1e5df569e5c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.22c9344bbea0b98bdc8928c808edbef6.jpegAw that's too bad Darski. Mill end bags are so fun. You're never sure what you can get. I've found everything from cotton to eyelash stuff. And they always a bargain. Last week, Joann's had them on sale for $3.99 a bag! (I got four bags) it's so hard to pass up. I got some super soft cotton last week. If Panda gets off my lap soon, I'll post a picture. 

I have 2 doilyghans on the go and another dress.  I have ripped out one of the ghans about 3 times trying to decide on the fullness issue.  the pattern has 7 repeats around with a lot of ch2 spaces.   too ruffly by half :(   So, not being overly bright I dropped it back to 6 repeats with ch1 spaces - it's flat but not quite easy.  so back we go.  I finally decided to keep the 6 repeats but go back to the ch2 spaces.  it is now a happy little camper and I just have to git 'er done. :rofl

Archived