If you've signed up on Ravelry, go to the pattern library and search for the difficult ones, or browse the odd categories.

Free Vintage Crochet also has a lot of neat older patterns that make you think.

Also...have you checked the pattern section on here yet? We have some seriously talented designers :)

interesting question, but really hard to give you any ideas w/o knowing:

---what kind of things have you made that you are now bored with?

---do you enjoy making things just to be making them, or do you need to have an intended pratical use for each project?  

interesting question, but really hard to give you any ideas w/o knowing:

---what kind of things have you made that you are now bored with?

---do you enjoy making things just to be making them, or do you need to have an intended pratical use for each project?

Granny square blankets are a bit boring ATM

I do enjoy making things FOR a reason, but I'm happy to make for the shear enjoyment of crochet.

And I don't have any WIP's :-( I will post my projects at a later date of what I have made. Just need to sort the photos out!

lol I have to agree with you on grannies....I love the look of them but after making a couple of blankets it does start to feel tedious.

Well if you want to make blankets, chevron/ripple patterns are a nice change.  if you change colors a lot, there are still a lot of ends to weave in, unless you leave fringe, but there is no joining or seaming.  Some ripples are relatively simple, but you still have to pay attention to keep the peaks and valleys lined up correctly.  Some are pretty complex and can be a real challenge to keep everything on track---for me anyway.

Filet crochet is basically a simple technique but you can make really complex designs.  Filet is not just for doilies or tablecloths, you can make blankets or garments or accessories like scarves.

Making garments that fit presents some interesting challenges.

"Aran" or cabled pieces are very interesting and can be challenging.  

I think you need a break from blankets that can be time consuming. Pick a different crochet project in a new technique that can be completed quicker such as a hat or a purse/bag. Another option is if you enjoy motifs pick a project using the African flower motif which can be used not only for a blanket but for many different projects.

Whenever I get bored and need a challenge, I go back to knitting and then I realize why I crocheted in the first place- it takes double the amount of time to make anything in knitting.-lol. It gets me back to crochet, immediately.

If you like yarn, or always use yarn, why not try one of your gazillion patterns in thread.  I have do that with several doll or Christmas patterns that are made with yarn.  There are a lot of free patterns on all the Yarn Company web sites, like Red Heart and Bernat just to name a couple.

Changing from thread to yarn, can perk up your interest.  I took several of the Red Heart Christmas Animals and made them with thread.

Another suggestion is to learn a new technique.  There are so many crochet techniques out there.  Have you tried Tunisian? Entrelac?  Hairpin or Broomstick Lace?  Double-end hooks?  Tapestry?  Amigurumi?  Filet?  Celtic Knots?

Here's a long list of different techniques ... http://crochetwithdee.webs.com/typesofcrochet.htm

Tammy Hildebrand has a book that has 6 different techniques, each with an easy, medium, hard pattern.  I am sure that there are other books that teach a variety of techniques, but this is the only one I've used.  I'm almost through the entire book and I did not get bored with any of the patterns.

How about making an "exploded lace" shawl or shawlette?  Last winter I experimented with taking complicated doily patterns and turning them into wearables.  I loved the shawls made from round doily patterns but they took a bit more time and thought than just enlarging the patterns.  Had to figure out how to "make to fit" without ending up with HUGE leggy pieces.  The yarn is a bit tricky too as stretchy yarns end up making the pieces too out of shape and the stiff yarns don't drape well.  I am a slow crocheter and not at all talented in the design area but I truly enjoyed the process of making "exploded lace".  

Just this morning I saw this Red Heart pattern posted on their FB page and became intrigued with it for the challenge. Maybe it will pique your interest too. The pattern could also be made into a shawl, bed runner or scarf.

I think trying something you haven't done before is a great idea, maybe just a swatch or incorporate it into a hat since they are quick to make.

I know this is a motif again, but I just tripped over this looking for something else...isn't this cool?  Actually, learning multicolored spirals has been on my do-do list for a long time, and this is 3 colors, hmmm...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spiral-in-a-square

I think trying something you haven't done before is a great idea, maybe just a swatch or incorporate it into a hat since they are quick to make.

I know this is a motif again, but I just tripped over this looking for something else...isn't this cool?  Actually, learning multicolored spirals has been on my do-do list for a long time, and this is 3 colors, hmmm...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spiral-in-a-square

What a great pattern. It sure has a wide varience for color changes.

Archived