safety eyes or crochet eyes?

creativeK

Question

17 answers to this question

One thing we all forgot to mention here. Buttons are used very often for amigurumi eyes. Some buttons they are just right for that specific project! :).

Before Easter I crocheted Easter Bunny's. I did had few nice buttons left from the days when I was sewing a lot, when my kids were little. When it came to those Bunny's I remembered those blue buttons that I had in my drawer for a very long time (over couple decades. LOL). I did used them on those Easters Bunny's and I was very pleased with the result. They were just a perfect eyes for that:). What was nice about those buttons they had a few different shades of blue in them, not just plain blue. Instead of me explaining to you how those buttons looked like, I will paste a link here to those pictures so you could see them. I wish I would have more of them, I only have 2 left:(. So, right now I am on a look out for a nice "eye buttons"! LOL.

Here is that link to my Easter Bunny's. That little one (the baby) It dos not have those buttons for eyes. That size would been too big for her/him. Only Momma & Papa dos LOL

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/154220-my-easter-bunnys-amigurumi/

Krys

You are welcome:)

When it comes to attaching crochet eyes I would say the whip stitch would be my preference (same color as the eyes so would not be visible). For the felt eyes I would use blanket stitch. It looks very nice when those stitches are evenly spaced and the floss or thread is in a contrasting color:). But whip stitch can be used also. That all depends on what you are making, what would look better on that project.

Those are only my opinions:)

You just need to experiment a little and find out what you like.

Krys

Even crochet eyes can be very "fancy" and beautiful. That all depends on a project what would look good on it and HOW much work &time you would like to put in?.

Right now I am working on "Graduation Owl's". Their eyes will have 3 layers one on top of each other and some embroidery. Two lower layers will be crocheted and on top I will add store bought safety owl eyes.

While ago I made few cat toys. One of them was a gold fish. I could just attached a black knots for that. That would been very easy & fast. But, I do love those "bubbly" eyes. I spent more time crocheting out of thread those eyes than that whole fish LOL. I do not crochet with thread, that is why it took so long. I will attach here a picture of that cat toy Gold Fish. That black "dot" in the middle was made out of yarn also.

Krys

My Gold Fish:)

post-73590-0-49813000-1431543238_thumb.jpg

Crochet amigurumi eyes from Google.com. You will get many idea's from there:)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=crochet+amigurumi+eyes

I crochet child safe (1 - 4 yrs.) eyes for my teddy bears and use plastic eyes for older kids. I just crochet circles in the eye color I want. For small eyes: ch 2, 8 sc in the 2nd ch from hook, join with sl st leave an end to sew it on. For large eyes:  Rnd 1: ch 2, 6 sc in the 2nd ch from hook, join with sl st. Rnd 2: ch 1, 2 sc in each sc (12 sc), join with sl st, leave an end to sew it on. You can make different size eyes by  making 3 rnds or using hdc. Larger eyes can have black for rnd 1 and color for rnd 2. It's best if you sew the eyes on before stuffing the head. I hope this helps.

Ellie 13

ok so I want to crochet the eyes, any tips on how to attach them?

If I use crochet eyes or felt eyes I sew them on with thread for felt eyes and yarn for crochet eyes. I have yet to decide what I like best. However, I am leaning toward doing the felt and thread all the time as I never seem to have the plastic safety eyes I need and my closest craft store that has eyes  that I use is 45 minutes from us.

When I do Amigurumi eyes I only embroiderer the eyes.....Here is a picture of something I did the eyes on.....basically to get this to work you tie a knot on the end of the yarn & say the back of the head you run your thread through to the area where you what the eyes to be worked the stitches then push your knot into the ball head...as to hide it as same when your done..tie off  with a knot on the outside and shove the knot in the ball w/ your hook....repeat for the next areas...

Suggestion watch a video and created a head to practice on first so as to learn how to do it a few times before the first time on your project......

Note: If I am not allowed to add links this way I am sorry ahead of time I am not sure of the rules on this? Thanks

Part one of a lovey blanket w/ bunny head

part 2 shows how to do the eyes and assemble the body as well...:O)

post-35509-0-41826200-1431098268_thumb.jpg

okay good to know. you can use felt too right?

Yes, you can also use felt but I would stitch it on very tightly and not glue it (some people glue it) since little ones can pull off the pieces and again, depending on their ages, goes right into their mouths. LOL!!

Roe

Yeah, I have used the plastic safety eyes for toys for my little nieces and nephews and they didn't last long. Lol. No choking or anything like that, thank goodness.

I would just make something up. Put some yarn on a needle and whip something in a circle and call it a day. Felt is a good idea but you've probably already got the yarn needle ready from assembling the little guy.

Probably don't want to make an X though. :lol

If it is decorative only, you can use safety eyes. But if it is for a child who will drag it around and play with it, then I'd go for the crocheted eyes.

Roe

okay good to know. you can use felt too right?

If it is decorative only, you can use safety eyes. But if it is for a child who will drag it around and play with it, then I'd go for the crocheted eyes.

Roe

From what I have been reading...safety eyes are not as safe as we might think. They are not safe for little children or animals. Those should not be used for children under 3 years old and NEVER on toys for animals.

As for the look...it all depends what someone would like? :).

Krys

Archived