Hi there! Curious about a couple things...

Benjamin Dale

Question

So I recently started crocheting, and I love it. But I started out with youtube tutorials and haven't really done much except basic rounds in Amigurumi.

I've been trying to expand my knowledge and capabilities with learning new patterns and such, and I just have a couple questions!

I've been trying to make this Amigurumi penguin for a friend, and I've done alright up till the beak. I'm not entirely sure what it's asking me to do in the first round.

It wants me to chain 3, and then do all these other things. But to me, it's acting like there is more than those three chain stitches to work with. And I'm a bit confused. Any help would be wonderful!

-Ben

14 answers to this question

I actually have that pattern saved but have not made use of it yet. For round 1 of the beak it seems like you will be working in both the top and bottom of the chain. There is a tutorial on how to do this here: http://www.freshstitches.com/how-to-work-the-bottom-side-of-a-foundation-chain/ 

It's such a small piece, it probably won't hurt to just fudge it if you can't quite get it to work out following the pattern exactly. 

Alrighty guys! I'm about to finish the whole thing up, after monthes of procrastination. Here are the beaks. Two totally different yarns, but they came out exactly the same. I just don't like the way it looks. But I'm putting it on regardless. I just want to finish this project.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61123408/picture105.jpg
After this... I think I'm going to start a thread showing all the projects I've done so far. And I'd definitely like suggestions on projects that others have enjoyed.

I found the beak the hardest part of a bird pattern I tried.  The yarn was just too thick to make the beak look like what I wanted so I separated the yarn and pulled one strand (maybe 2--I can't remember) off  and then used a smaller hook.  I was much happier with it and it was a lot easier to work. 

Ok! I finished it. I couldn't stuff the wings, because I didn't do it right. Haha! It doesn't look amazing, but I'm glad it's done! Next~!

I might do it again, to see if I can make it look proper, but for now I'm just going to tuck the pattern away, and work on something different.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61123408/picture106.jpg

CUTE!  Great job!

:manyheart  Cute! I think you did great. I make stuffed things but I've never done amigurumi before. Small pieces that have to be sewn on are the hardest. When I have a pattern with small parts and I don't like the way it looks, I change it. Sometimes, if I don't like a pattern, I give up and create my own design.

Ellie 13

Archived