Mar 2014 CAL: Clarice Top by Kim Guzman CAL (official)

Amy

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the first front and completed row 2. When I start Next row am I crocheting down the outside of the garment to start the armholes? or did I miss count the repeats on row 2? 

What is the correct way to block this top?  

My method of blocking something like this is:

1) Dip in cool water until completely saturated.

2) Squeeze out excess water.

3) Roll in dry towel to remove more excess water.

4) Place on flat surface, smooth it out from top to bottom, even stretching it a little to mimic the effects of gravity.

5) Straighten and shape.

6) Allow to dry completely.

And, with some fibers, I will even hang it up at the end of the drying phase to get every bit of growth out of it I can. It's best to know how much it will grow ahead of time than when you're wearing it.

I am coming along fine with the project.  I am new to crocheting with thread, so I wonder if anyone can tell me whether or not it is advisable to use acrylic thread?  I am using the thread recommended for this project, but I saw a color I just love for sale in the acrylic.  Would not like to get a negative surprise though, so thought I'd ask the group.  Thanks for any answer!

You may be able to use acrylic. I haven't tried it. It's all dependent on the way the yarn is made. It may not be as heavy as the cotton, so it may not pull down as far on the armholes, lengthening them with gravity. So, you may need to make some alterations in the armhole height. But, then again, it may work perfectly.

I am so pleased to see everyone's progress, and can't believe some of you are finished already!

I need to give a big, special "thank you" to Kim for answering all your questions while I have been away from the forum. My mother had a complete hysterectomy on the 28th due to what we hoped was early stage endometrial cancer. She had some post-surgery complications and was back in the hospital for most of this past week. She's now home and doing much, much better. Pathology returned as Stage 1B, so she may end up needing a small bit of radiation therapy. We won't know that until we've met with the radiation oncologist in a few weeks.

I've just finished my first pineapple repeat, and will hopefully catch up with the rest of you soon!

I've collected all of Kim's tips and put them together in post #2 of this thread, for everyone's convenience.

Don't worry about when you start your project, as this thread will always be available. If you start months from now, most questions/problems you might encounter will likely have already been asked and answered in the thread. But if you come up with something new that hasn't been answered, Kim and I are usually around to provide answers.

I'm on the first front and completed row 2. When I start Next row am I crocheting down the outside of the garment to start the armholes? or did I miss count the repeats on row 2? 

Let me review the pattern. I misread your request.

After row 2, you will repeat row 2 until you have worked a certain number of specified rows from row 1 of the First Front before you start the heading titled "next row."

Congratulations to those of you who have finished your tops, they look beautiful. I haven't worked on mine in a few days due to other distractions and deadlines but I will eventually get it done.

Could you please show a schematic on where you begin the joining process?  I'm a  little confused.

I am assuming we are joining the front to the back?  I just finished the second front and confused about what to do next.

Does anyone have a picture of their progress before joining?

Thank you

Cindy

Could you please show a schematic on where you begin the joining process?  I'm a  little confused.

I am assuming we are joining the front to the back?  I just finished the second front and confused about what to do next.

Does anyone have a picture of their progress before joining?

Thank you

Cindy

This is one of the times where you need to trust what is written and not read anything more into it than is there. Trust me. :)

You are just going to work across the bottom of the front, chain out the indicated number, work across the back, chain out the indicated number, then work across the bottom of the other front.

Thank you :)

This is my first clothing project.  I crochet hats, scarves, afghans, mittens, but I have not tried anything such as this project.

I did figure it out.  now on to the next step :)

Thank you :)

This is my first clothing project.  I crochet hats, scarves, afghans, mittens, but I have not tried anything such as this project.

I did figure it out.  now on to the next step :)

Yay! 

But, it's okay. Many people get stumped on that part. It's a matter of thinking in 3-D instead of 2-D.  :D

Yay! 

But, it's okay. Many people get stumped on that part. It's a matter of thinking in 3-D instead of 2-D.  :D

So glad you said 3D - that really helped me figure out this step as well. Much easier than it reads once you get what it's saying LOL

How is everyone doing? I've made it through 3 rounds of pineapples. I finished weaving in hundreds of ends and got two commissioned projects for pattern designs shipped off Monday, so now I can get back to work on this.

Then I have to finish getting a new design ready for the May crochet-along. I'm hoping to post information about the April crochet-along in the next week or so, in case anyone wants to start thinking that far ahead. :)

I have added two new tips to the second post in this thread. The first tip is suggestions for counting your hdc ribbing rows. The second tells how to start your row with an actual HDC instead of the ch-2, so you don't have to remember to find that pesky little ch-2 at the end of each row and make a stitch in it.

Archived