Mar 2014 CAL: Clarice Top by Kim Guzman CAL (official)

Amy

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am stuck! I finished the back and the sleeve but am confused about the Hmod. Do they start the top front? Think I'll ask the ladies at my crochet group.Shereen

I am happy to help. After all, that's why we're doing the crochet-along. But, I am not understanding your question. I do not understand where you've mentioned "sleeve" and "Hmod". I would just need some clarification of where you're having a problem before I can help. :)

What is the best way to count my rows. I'm having trouble figuring it out with hdc through the back loops...

Thanks!

I would count across the center of the project. You will see a ridge where you've made your stitch in the back loop. The front loop is exposed. Perhaps count between those ridges, which is every two rows.

I would count across the center of the project. You will see a ridge where you've made your stitch in the back loop. The front loop is exposed. Perhaps count between those ridges, which is every two rows.

So with the right side facing, if I count each ridge as 2 rows worked, will that count the first row that I worked into the foundation chain?

So with the right side facing, if I count each ridge as 2 rows worked, will that count the first row that I worked into the foundation chain?

I think that, if you will study the stitches between the ridges, you will quickly be able to count the rows. Your eye will just need some time to become accustomed to their appearance.

I think that, if you will study the stitches between the ridges, you will quickly be able to count the rows. Your eye will just need some time to become accustomed to their appearance.

Lol, we'll see.... Thanks for your assistance!

ok. I have finished the back and the First Front up to the next row after Rep row 2. I have 18 rows worked. The next row: states Ch2, sk first hadc working back lps only, hdc across to within last hadc, mod hdc in last hdc. Do I go down the sides? Is that how I end up with 26 (I am working the medium)

I am thinking that it goes down the side on the inside and stops, but am uncertain. Thanks, Shereen

ok. I have finished the back and the First Front up to the next row after Rep row 2. I have 18 rows worked. The next row: states Ch2, sk first hadc working back lps only, hdc across to within last hadc, mod hdc in last hdc. Do I go down the sides? Is that how I end up with 26 (I am working the medium)

I am thinking that it goes down the side on the inside and stops, but am uncertain. Thanks, Shereen

Please review the video I shared here:

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/150347-clarice-top-by-kim-guzman-march-2014-official/?p=2617115

I finished the back and really do not understand where to start the first front. Help?

You turn the back around and attach your yarn at the bottom of the back. You'll be working into the unused loops from the initial chain and foundation row.

Ok I am having some problems! So much of this is new to me. I have crocheted many pieces but I'm really stunned with thw first couple rows and getting the count correct. I'm on my third time, ripping out an starting over. Cannot get the count to come out right. I have read every post on here an see some others have had same issue. I have tried to follow what you told them to no avail?!?! What to do? I love this top an the thread an stitches are really beautiful!

If you are repeatedly not getting your count right, you are missing stitches in the initial chain. You can either 1) try making your stitches in the back horizontal bar of each chain (just turn it over to the back) as this will sometimes help or 2) try making foundation half double crochet instead of a typical chain foundation.

In re-doing now the fourth time I got to the third row using regular chain stitch and making my stitches very loose, so they are easily counted and I am still ending up with 60 instead of the 62 you say I should have. So I'm going back an going into the second stitch instead of trying to figure out why you say skip first HDC. But then I'm thinking that , since I read ahead in the pattern and see that you use that space, I will have trouble later on??.

Once you have done first row of HDC an turn an chain two,would you be going into fourth stitch since you would be skipping the first HDC?

It's not ever stated that way in patterns, but yes, if you count each individual chain and then the half double crochet below, then it would be the fourth stitch.

In re-doing now the fourth time I got to the third row using regular chain stitch and making my stitches very loose, so they are easily counted and I am still ending up with 60 instead of the 62 you say I should have. So I'm going back an going into the second stitch instead of trying to figure out why you say skip first HDC. But then I'm thinking that , since I read ahead in the pattern and see that you use that space, I will have trouble later on??.

You skip the first stitch because the chain counts as the first stitch. Try putting a stitch marker at the top of the chain once you have skipped and made your stitch. It sounds like you are not stitching into the chain 2 when you come back on the next row and you're losing a stitch each row. 

Yes, I think I have finally solved my problem. I am from "old school" an we were always just told to , chain two and third chain from hook start HDC. So sorry to not understand. I did learn something from the video!!! I never knew you could start without a chain!

Thank you! Your so helpful!

Archived