Mar 2014 CAL: Clarice Top by Kim Guzman CAL (official)

Amy

Hi Kim,

I really like holding 2 strands of size 10 cotton together and I think it makes lovely garment pieces but yes, it is heavier.  I noticed how light this one felt when I had it on the hangar.

Do you remember offhand the name of the Ravelry project which uses two strands of size 10 cotton held together?

Also, I enrolled in court reporting school the other and had my interview with the school's director this past Tuesday.  I am probably not going to be crocheting as much in the near future as I have to buckle down and learn some theory and speed on the writer.  I have a lead on a machine someone wants to sell and after I get my books, I'll be ready to start.

So, the crochet hooks won't be picked up quite as much as I would like.  But this court reporting sounds a little exciting and I'm a little nervous about it too.   Please pray for me, everyone!   :)

Here is the project:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/krisbock/clarice

Lee Ann, court reporting is a terrific thing to learn! But, yes, it will take many hours of practice and practice and practice. It's a wonderful job, though. And, you can either work for a firm or do freelance work when you choose. Very cool thing to do. :)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lillyport, and anyone else,  Kim has patterns on Crochetville, her site Crochetkim, WIPs 'N Chains blog, on Facebook Make It Crochet. To name a few.

I would love to do more of her tops as a CAL.  (Even though I'm usually off schedule somewhat). ;)

Thank you. I am always available for new crochet-alongs with Crochetville. :-)

I finished my Clarice on Friday & I've got it hanging right now. I love how it turned out so much I'm starting a second one in a blue gray -my first is red. Thank you soo much!!!

I finished my Clarice on Friday & I've got it hanging right now. I love how it turned out so much I'm starting a second one in a blue gray -my first is red. Thank you soo much!!!

Fun! I've made several in different colors for myself as well. :)

I'm having trouble with neckline somewhere.  Do we stop 2nd neckline round at button loop?  Then first sc is not at the bottom, and i didn't join the two sides?  When did we finish off the first trim row after adding that last row? It leaves a gap.  

Do we need 120 stitches across bottom only.  How many pineappled are there?

I know this is confusing.  But I must be interpreting something wrong.  HELP.

I know I sound be going from 116 stitches to 120 stitches (sm). And I know the extra stitches come from the trim we added.  But where to stop and start the trim must be part of my problem.  earlier on trim, I do think one place I turned was around the corner. But the other way I went to the opposite side.  And I really understood how to connect the funny and back.  It's starting the round, where that connection is.  I really want to do it right, but right now I end up with 3 ch3 IN THE FRONT.

I'm at a point right now where I'm trying to decide the length! So my daughter ( whom is the receipent of this project) is short,5' 4 in tall. It's a birthday present so can't try on. In your pattern you say there will be a minimum of 3" of stretch in length. Should I block first or hang overnight first? Should I stick with your suggested length? What will it look like if it's too long?

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

Her b-day is Friday!! Need help soon!!

Dadduck822, I re read the posts last night, and I saw where Kim recommends NOT to finish off for the hem until after u block it.  So I would go ahead and follow her blocking suggestions.  Keep the thread attached.  Wrap it up and give it to her.  Worse case scenario, u are all set to make it a little longer once she tries it on. Or u just finish it off real quick when it's a perfect fit! 

I made my son's girlfriend try it on blindfolded when the bodice was almost done.  (which I am stuck on at the moment).  Her b day is also Fri.  But she's in Fla. Now, so I have another week.  I really wanted to give it to her before then, but I got sick, and stuck;( 

I am totally fine with Kim giving you all links to any of her other patterns that are made in a similar manner. I think we're going to do a Crochet-Along later this year with her Marilyn top:

Marilyn.jpg

I'm having trouble with neckline somewhere. Do we stop 2nd neckline round at button loop? Then first sc is not at the bottom, and i didn't join the two sides? When did we finish off the first trim row after adding that last row? It leaves a gap.

Do we need 120 stitches across bottom only. How many pineappled are there?

I know this is confusing. But I must be interpreting something wrong. HELP.

I am having a hard time following your questions, but I will try to help.

In the section labeled "Joining", you are joining the two fronts to the back, leaving openings for the armholes.

In row 1 of Neckline Trim, you crochet along the sides of the rows of the front, 2 sc in the corner, sc around the neckline, 2 sc in corner of opposite front, then along the sides of the rows of the second front, turn.

In row 2, you sc in all sc you just created, with 2 sc in the corner, and a button loop on the Right Front corner.

Then you begin the Skirting, without turning. You sc into the sides of the 2 rows you just created in the Trim, into each hdc and into the sides of the 2 rows of Trim on the other side, then you slip stitch to the first sc of this round, joining and working in the round at this point.

The area of the Trim isn't connected. It is only connected where you slip stitch. It's not supposed to be connected. There is a keyhole opening once the button is attached and put into the button loop.

Bottom line here is that you follow the instructions exactly as written and don't worry about the how or why. I find that people try to figure things out and that's what messes them up with this design.

Someone was asking about an April CAL. Yes, we'll be doing one. Mona at Creative Yarn Source should have the kit available to order in the next day or two.

Here's a link to the CAL thread. I'll update it with a link to order the kit as soon as I get that from Mona.

Since we'll be starting late with ordering, that CAL will probably last through the end of May.

I know, trying to explain it was confusing me.  I think if I know the counts it will help.  is 120 how many sc needed across bottom edge?  How many pineapples are there around in the small?

Do u stop that 2nd trim row at the button loop? Or continue down the sides of the five rows, and slip st. Where?

I'll have to look at it to see if that answers all my questions.  I can make it work. But I'd really like it to be right, so the stitch count will help. Thanks.

I know, trying to explain it was confusing me.  I think if I know the counts it will help.  is 120 how many sc needed across bottom edge?  How many pineapples are there around in the small?

Do u stop that 2nd trim row at the button loop? Or continue down the sides of the five rows, and slip st. Where?

I'll have to look at it to see if that answers all my questions.  I can make it work. But I'd really like it to be right, so the stitch count will help. Thanks.

Once you starting working on the Skirting, you are working on the Skirting. You are no longer working on the Bodice. You are working off those stitches required for the set-up of the Skirting and you have the stitch count.

Anyone have a count on how many pineapple s are around in the small?

Kim was right, of course: 15 pineapples in the skirt of size small.

Here's the breakdown:

Small: 15 pineapples

Medium: 17 pineapples

Large: 19 pineapples

1X: 21 pineapples

2X: 23 pineapples

3X: 25 pineapples

Thanks guys.  I'll check it out.  my brains a little addled with this asthmatic bronchitis, but I should be able to figure it out.

On the plus side, I redid the arm strap trim and like it even better the second time around.

I got it. It was where the trim rows hit the bottom rows, plus I had to change yarn there, and I wasn't Picking up all the stitches.  I should have known, being up all night sick isn't the best time to figure things out.  The trim is going great.  A picture is Worth a thousand words!  THANKS.

• 1 month later...

Archived