Mar 2014 CAL: Clarice Top by Kim Guzman CAL (official)

Amy

I've finished the neckline trim, but am a little confused starting the skirting. I understand I'll be going around the entire thing, but what does "sc in each side edge of prior two rows" mean at the beginning of round 1 on skirting? When I finished my trim it left me at the bottom corner of the right front, primed to start going all the way around the piece, so the part about the side edge of prior two rows has me lost.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've finished the neckline trim, but am a little confused starting the skirting. I understand I'll be going around the entire thing, but what does "sc in each side edge of prior two rows" mean at the beginning of round 1 on skirting? When I finished my trim it left me at the bottom corner of the right front, primed to start going all the way around the piece, so the part about the side edge of prior two rows has me lost.

There are two rows that are worked sideways that went around the neck. You'll work into the sides of each of those two rows and continue around the bottom of the fronts armholes and back.

Wonderful! I'm glad you found a thread you're happy with.

With variegated thread/yarn, sometimes you just never know until you start a project with it how it's going to look. Even though that thread didn't work for this particular project, it will probably look beautiful worked up into something else.

I started with a varigated thread, and was not happy with the result.  After finishing the back I frogged it.  I am now up to the increases on the back with a solid, and am much happier with the result.

Hi everyone!

I have been working away at my Clarice and am just about to start the SC before the skirting. I have a question about hook size that I'm hoping you can share any thoughts, ideas or even warnings. Here goes:

I am making a 3x size and have tried it on to make sure the top fits. It does, with minimal ease, but it isn't tight. I noticed that we are to switch to the smaller hook for the skirting. Because I don't want the skirting to cling to my tummy, I wondered if I could use the larger hook or even the next size up. If I do this, would I need to change my hook size for the SC rounds before the skirting? I know we have been warned to take the pattern literally, but I think this adjustment might be appropriate. Thoughts?

Hi everyone!

I have been working away at my Clarice and am just about to start the SC before the skirting. I have a question about hook size that I'm hoping you can share any thoughts, ideas or even warnings. Here goes:

I am making a 3x size and have tried it on to make sure the top fits. It does, with minimal ease, but it isn't tight. I noticed that we are to switch to the smaller hook for the skirting. Because I don't want the skirting to cling to my tummy, I wondered if I could use the larger hook or even the next size up. If I do this, would I need to change my hook size for the SC rounds before the skirting? I know we have been warned to take the pattern literally, but I think this adjustment might be appropriate. Thoughts?

When I was designing it, I started out with the same size hook to make the skirting. For me, it didn't seem to work because it made it all ruffly. So, I went down a hook size. It may vary from person-to-person. But, this is how it worked for me.

We'll March is half over and I know that a lot of people have finished their projects. I being very slow an wanting to get others questions an answers, have not gotten past 6 rows. That part has been done an ripped out so many times that I have restarted again using new yarn! I just can't seem to grasp the concept of this whole thing. Yes this is my first garment to crochet. But being a seamstress for many years i find it difficult to do a project an not know till a lot of time an work have been put into it, to find when finished that it doesn't fit!!!

Isn't there some way to give us measurements as we go? For instance at the very start when we chain 51, isn't there a spot on the body that we could measure it to to see if it will fit.

I love this cami as you can tell it is first project beautiful enough to catch my attention an make me want to start this challenge!

I wanted to make this for my daughters birthday,April 4 th, but seems impossible to meet deadline now..

Are you planning to do any tuditorials or videos on this project??

We'll March is half over and I know that a lot of people have finished their projects. I being very slow an wanting to get others questions an answers, have not gotten past 6 rows. That part has been done an ripped out so many times that I have restarted again using new yarn! I just can't seem to grasp the concept of this whole thing. Yes this is my first garment to crochet. But being a seamstress for many years i find it difficult to do a project an not know till a lot of time an work have been put into it, to find when finished that it doesn't fit!!!

Isn't there some way to give us measurements as we go? For instance at the very start when we chain 51, isn't there a spot on the body that we could measure it to to see if it will fit.

I love this cami as you can tell it is first project beautiful enough to catch my attention an make me want to start this challenge!

I wanted to make this for my daughters birthday,April 4 th, but seems impossible to meet deadline now..

Are you planning to do any tuditorials or videos on this project??

If you will look at the last page, there is a schematic. The pattern starts with the back and is worked from top-down. It should measure approximately what is stated in the schematic, at the top. 

So at very beginning of project ,,,, you are making the back, correct? Then is this the top back which would be the yoke? Or is there straps on the top back??

In schematic it looks to me like you are showing only front.

The schematic shows the front side-to-side, but the back is the same width measurement. The first row of the garment starts about 1-1.5" down on the back of the shoulders. You work straight down. Then you flip it over and attach to make the straps for the front.

So at very beginning of project ,,,, you are making the back, correct? Then is this the top back which would be the yoke? Or is there straps on the top back??

In schematic it looks to me like you are showing only front.

On ravelry, Izybit has pictures of hers in different stages of completion. They really helped me wrap my head around it and gave me the confidence to trust that I was understanding the pattern. Might be worth a look :-)

Are you planning to do any tuditorials or videos on this project

Speaking as a fellow seamstress, making crochet garments is quite a bit different than sewing garments. There are similarities, but a lot is different as well. Many crochet garment patterns have an overall schematic that gives the major dimensions of the pattern. They do not contain schematics for each individual piece of the pattern, as with sewing patterns. Since we don't use pattern pieces to cut out fabric, we don't really need those.

Since this top is designed from the top down, you are able to try it on as you go, to ensure proper fit. That's about as close as you're ever going to get with a crochet pattern to what it seems like you'd really like to have.

Here is a photo of my back piece so far:

ClariceBack.JPG

In dressmaking terms, yes, the first piece you are making could be considered the back yoke. The first post in this thread shows a back view as the garment is being worn. I'll include it here for convenience. Row 1 of the back end up being the top of the back piece. The straps are not actually part of the back piece; you will make them when you work each front piece. You can see as the garment is being worn that the straps will actually go from the back piece, over the shoulder and the front yoke pieces will continue on from each strap.

Clarice.back2.jpg

You can use your beginning chain as a rough estimate of how wide you need to make this rectangle for proper fit. However, that width may change slightly once you've worked your hdc stitches across. I would recommend measing the width of the back after you've made it about 4" deep or so and comparing that measurement to the width of the wearer's back measurement. In this case, I'd measure from the outer edge of each shoulderblade bone.

For anyone who would like a reference, I'll also include a photo of the front of my garment so far.

ClariceFront.JPG

A big thank you to both Kim and Amy. I haven't given up on this project yet. Gonna give it another try. Hoping that I'm understanding better what I'm doing. The pictures do help so much. Never want to think I'm too old to learn something new!

With the back piece, you make a rectangle for the first X number of rows as stated for the size you're making.

Then, you'll add an extra stitch on each end of the row for the next Y number of rows as stated for the size you're making, These extra stitches give you the curve of your underarm shaping.

I am in the processing of blocking my Clarice top.  I hope this is what it is supposed to look like :)  I like the way it turned out and the fact you could try it on while working on it.  Thank you!

post-26720-0-26781200-1395096410_thumb.jpg

To post a picture, when you're writing your post, go down to the bottom and click "More Reply Options." Your text box will expand, and at the bottom you'll see an area to Attach Files. Click the Choose Files button and follow the steps to upload the photo. Once it's been uploaded, position your cursor in the text box where you want the photo to appear. Then scroll back down to underneath the text box and click the "Add to Post" link to the right of the photo.

If anyone needs help in figuring out how to do things around the forum, we have a lot of wonderful help files that explain practically everything. Just click on the "Help" tab in the dark blue navigation bar at the top of any page on the forum.

I am so sad. I took my almost finished top and my Furls hook with me out of town to work on. I lost them somewhere along the way. I think it was on a bus as that was the last time I remember seeing it. It is just devastating! I did love the pattern. As soon as I find thread that will work locally I'll begin again.

Archived