Mar 2014 CAL: Clarice Top by Kim Guzman CAL (official)

Amy

So I am at the sixteenth row of first front. Getting ready to start first "mod hdc". I'm not under standing how I can have 6hdc right now and on next row have 15. This is on page two of pattern, section headed " First Front" and fourth paragraph down.post-71026-0-35764100-1395500246_thumb.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I am at the sixteenth row of first front. Getting ready to start first "mod hdc". I'm not under standing how I can have 6hdc right now and on next row have 15. This is on page two of pattern, section headed " First Front" and fourth paragraph down.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Please review post #26 of this thread.

I cannot imagine how you must feel! I hope it is just hiding somewhere in your luggage. I know how much work (and frogging and reworking) has gone into mine and I would just be sick to lose it. Sending you a hug and hope you find it soon!

I am so sad. I took my almost finished top and my Furls hook with me out of town to work on. I lost them somewhere along the way. I think it was on a bus as that was the last time I remember seeing it. It is just devastating! I did love the pattern. As soon as I find thread that will work locally I'll begin again.

Kim, I'm so excited.  I FINALLY ACHIEVED GAUGE!  I can always get the height part, but my width is always bigger.  This is unblocked, so I guess when worn the height gets bigger too.  So I restarted with a 4.25 hook for the big hook.  and it's correct.  Well, I still didn't BLOCK it, but I blindfolded the recipient, and it JUST fit.  She said it was a bit snug under arms, but I remember u said it will seem that way till it's done and blocked.  Right?  

It's a gift for her 18th birthday. My Mom used to sew and try things on us blindfolded.  It used to drive us crazy with curiosity! But she's lucky, at least there were no PINS in it! Lol

I'm so glad I finally got to start this.  I love thread crochet, but don't normally do it.

I would like some information on how to hide the threads, and tips?

Also, I would love to find more crochet-from-the-top-down patterns.  Love not having to sew!  Any hints where to look?

Thanks for any answers!

I tend to use a needle and weave the ends vertically into the stitches rather than horizontally.

I'm not the fondest of top-down designing and most of my designing is bottom-up. But, I'm particularly fond of working in one piece to keep seaming to a minimum. Most of my designs have seaming, for instance, only at the shoulders.

Kim, I'm so excited.  I FINALLY ACHIEVED GAUGE!  I can always get the height part, but my width is always bigger.  This is unblocked, so I guess when worn the height gets bigger too.  So I restarted the with a 4.25 hook for the big hook.  and it's correct.  Well, I still didn't BLOCK it, but I blindfolded the recipient, and it JUST fit.  She said it was a bit snug under arms, but I remember u said it will seem that way till it's done and blocked.  Right?  

It's a gift for her 18th birthday. My Mom used to see and try things on us blindfolded.  It used to drive us crazy with curiosity! But she's lucky, at least there were no PINS in it! Lol

I'm so glad I finally got to start this.  I love thread crochet, but don't normally do it.

That's great! Yes, once you have put on the skirting of the garment, it weighs everything down due to natural gravity which increases the height of the armholes.

Everyone's looks great.  It's nice seeing all the colors in the pics.  

And Villeger, just think how u will sail through this this time.  Did u try calling the bus company?  Maybe someone turned it in.  Good luck and sorry this happened.

I took my Clarice Baby Doll Top with a yardstick, I took measurements in various places of the finished project.  The size I made was a Large.

I used 4 strands of Glenspun 8/2 yarn held together and G & H crochet hooks.

I took these measurements and photos because I have the notion of making this again with something like 2 strands of Aunt Lydia's size 10 cotton thread and a smaller hook.   I was thinking of working the project out to fit the measurements in the photos.  It would take more stitches but I think it would work.

I have all of my photos at my ravelry page and my facebook pages (I plan to blog about it soon too):

Ravelry:  http://www.ravelry.com/projects/lhamm

Facebook album:  https://www.facebook.com/leeann.hamm.18/media_set?set=a.118470701520114.11075.100000715551043&type=1

Here are my measurement photos of my finished project:

post-53170-0-11919100-1396129725_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-76885200-1396129757_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-41696800-1396129787_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-68708800-1396129816_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-60031700-1396129859_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-19195700-1396130042_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-90530700-1396130320_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-00054300-1396130594_thumb.jpg

post-53170-0-08173200-1396130817_thumb.jpg

I took my Clarice Baby Doll Top with a yardstick, I took measurements in various places of the finished project.  The size I made was a Large.

I used 4 strands of Glenspun 8/2 yarn held together and G & H crochet hooks.

I took these measurements and photos because I have the notion of making this again with something like 2 strands of Aunt Lydia's size 10 cotton thread and a smaller hook.   I was thinking of working the project out to fit the measurements in the photos.  It would take more stitches but I think it would work.

I have all of my photos at my ravelry page and my facebook pages (I plan to blog about it soon too):

Ravelry:  http://www.ravelry.com/projects/lhamm

Facebook album:  https://www.facebook.com/leeann.hamm.18/media_set?set=a.118470701520114.11075.100000715551043&type=1

Here are my measurement photos of my finished project:

There is a project on Ravelry which uses two strands of size 10 together and it worked well. Your project will probably be longer in the cotton (more like the length of my project photo) when done in cotton because it is heavier than the acrylic Glenspun. Can't wait to see your blog post! :)

I tend to use a needle and weave the ends vertically into the stitches rather than horizontally.

I'm not the fondest of top-down designing and most of my designing is bottom-up. But, I'm particularly fond of working in one piece to keep seaming to a minimum. Most of my designs have seaming, for instance, only at the shoulders.

Thank you, Kim.  I will look for your designs with minimum sewing.  Don't really care which direction a garment is worked in, just prefer to not have to do much seaming.  If you have any publications that you would recommend for this type of pattern, please mention them.  And thanks for the tip on hiding threads.  About how long of a tail do you leave to be woven in?  I don't want to make a mistake and have it come out too easy.

Thank you, Kim.  I will look for your designs with minimum sewing.  Don't really care which direction a garment is worked in, just prefer to not have to do much seaming.  If you have any publications that you would recommend for this type of pattern, please mention them.  And thanks for the tip on hiding threads.  About how long of a tail do you leave to be woven in?  I don't want to make a mistake and have it come out too easy.

I usually cut off at about six inches and go up and down in the stitches usually about three times to secure.

I will have to leave it to Amy about whether I can post about my other designs to show you. I feel uncomfortable doing it, since it may be taken as advertising, which is never my intention. :)

I usually cut off at about six inches and go up and down in the stitches usually about three times to secure.

I will have to leave it to Amy about whether I can post about my other designs to show you. I feel uncomfortable doing it, since it may be taken as advertising, which is never my intention. :)

Understood, Kim, and thanks.  Hadn't thought of that, or would not have asked. 

Hi Kim,

I really like holding 2 strands of size 10 cotton together and I think it makes lovely garment pieces but yes, it is heavier.  I noticed how light this one felt when I had it on the hangar.

Do you remember offhand the name of the Ravelry project which uses two strands of size 10 cotton held together?

Also, I enrolled in court reporting school the other and had my interview with the school's director this past Tuesday.  I am probably not going to be crocheting as much in the near future as I have to buckle down and learn some theory and speed on the writer.  I have a lead on a machine someone wants to sell and after I get my books, I'll be ready to start.

So, the crochet hooks won't be picked up quite as much as I would like.  But this court reporting sounds a little exciting and I'm a little nervous about it too.   Please pray for me, everyone!   :)

Lillyport, and anyone else,  Kim has patterns on Crochetville, her site Crochetkim, WIPs 'N Chains blog, on Facebook Make It Crochet. To name a few.

I would love to do more of her tops as a CAL.  (Even though I'm usually off schedule somewhat).;)

Archived