Mar 2014 CAL: Clarice Top by Kim Guzman CAL (official)

Amy

Ordered my kit, and got notification that it is on it's way. Can't wait to get it, I got Camel. Got my pattern in the mail today and after reading it can see I might have some questions on it as I work it. Can we start when we get the kit, or do we have to wait until March 1?

There are some tricky bits in the bodice portion of the design, which makes it the perfect project for a crochet-along. I find the most questions are:

1) Trying to read too much into the instructions. Many people try to figure out what is going on without doing the project while reading or not trusting the instructions. The instructions should be taken literally. If the pattern says to do something and then turn, don't try to turn and then do the something, for instance. Also, because this is a non-seamed garment, occasionally some people have had a hard time thinking in 3-D. It's best to keep in mind that you're not making a flat 2-D project like an afghan or doily. Occasionally, others have tried to second guess the measurements provided and altered things like the armhole height, thinking it was too short, only to discover that they had to take out their alterations because the pattern was correct after all.

2) The second most-asked question is about the modified half double crochet, which is a foundation half double crochet (and hadn't been given an official name at the time I wrote the pattern). But, I've made a video for it. :)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my pattern by email in PDF and printed it off.    Had to pay $13.28 more to get the yarn shipped to Canada but I am not bothered by that just happy that they will ship to Canada.  Waiting for arrival but I know mine will be delayed by Customs.  

Hi I'm new to this website never did a cal before excited about this one. I bought the pattern and yarn last spring to make for my daughter and got stuck so I put it away. Now I can dig it out and with your help hopefully finish it.

I am so glad to hear people are getting excited about the start of this crochet-along!

If you're on Facebook and see any of my posts about it, you're welcome to share them wherever you like. (If it's in a group or on another page, just be sure they appreciate that kind of post before you share it. Some may have rules against sharing something being sponsored by another business.)

Don't think I can use this thread. I started it and got to the 7th row and was having trouble breathing, could smell a funny smell and when I put the thread up close to my face realized it was coming from it...I put the thread  back into the plastic sack and lay down for a little bit, my breathing got better and now I'm ok. So, don't know what they use for a dye but whatever it is it bothers me...what other kind of thread can I use and what am I going to do with the ones I bought?

Don't think I can use this thread. I started it and got to the 7th row and was having trouble breathing, could smell a funny smell and when I put the thread up close to my face realized it was coming from it...I put the thread  back into the plastic sack and lay down for a little bit, my breathing got better and now I'm ok. So, don't know what they use for a dye but whatever it is it bothers me...what other kind of thread can I use and what am I going to do with the ones I bought?

That is a really tough call. You could be allergic to the dye or whatever is done in the mercerization process or the plastic packaging or the dye in the label. But, you definitely have a severe allergy to something. I wouldn't be able to make a recommendation on what to use in substitution because, if it's the dye, it could be all dyes used with cotton.  :(

That is a really tough call. You could be allergic to the dye or whatever is done in the mercerization process or the plastic packaging or the dye in the label. But, you definitely have a severe allergy to something. I wouldn't be able to make a recommendation on what to use in substitution because, if it's the dye, it could be all dyes used with cotton.  :(

I sent Mona an email to see if I could return the thread to her and am waiting for a response. I don't know what to do either, because this is the first time that I have had this problem. I started another Kim cardi using Lustersheen yarn by Red Heart, which is the same weight as the Mimosa and I am handling it just fine. Of course it is an acrylic yarn...I have used cotton thread before, but that has been years ago and as you get older you do develop allergies..thanks for your response.

Hi Darlene,

I'm sorry you had an allergic reaction.  I am certainly no doctor, but have suffered from allergies and asthma for years.  Some scents bother me too.  I'm wondering, If it's because the thread has been packaged in plastic,  Keeping all the smells in there.

I have problems with candles

when I open a new package,  But not when I have them out or I burn them.  It seems like the concentratrated scent does it to me.  

I was wondering, if you could air them all outside, to see if you could get the sccent off of it.  Of course be careful, have your inhaler or epi pen ready.  And certainly don't endanger yourself.  It's just a thought.

If you do need new thread, I would go to the store to buy it, so you can smell it first.  Good luck!!  

Looks like I posted about my kit in the wrong place.  

I just got my thread.  It's a beautiful red.  Can't wait to start.  I'm making mine for my son's girlfriend.  She's turning 18 early April, and going to Florida for her Senior trip!  So it will be perfect.  She has really dark hair, and light skin, so the red will really pop on her.

Darlene, as Kim said, it's difficult to know what might be causing the problem. Do you have a garage or someplace where you could leave the ball you're already working with out in the open for a day or two, away from all plastic packaging, just to see if airing out solves the problem?

Just received my thread in the mail: 6 balls of bougainvillea. I'm pleased to say mine doesn't have any kind of funny smell to it. At least none that I've noticed so far.

I'm about to start a gauge swatch.

Just received my thread in the mail: 6 balls of bougainvillea. I'm pleased to say mine doesn't have any kind of funny smell to it. At least none that I've noticed so far.

I'm about to start a gauge swatch.

When you're allergic to something, you smell it differently. I think it's the body's attempt to protect itself. I'm that way with cilantro.

I received my thread today! It is beautiful!! Can not wait to start it!

I am a true believer in using the garment as a swatch instead of trying over and over to get gauge with a smaller piece, only to find that my swatch has lied to me, once again. The garment starts with the upper back. And, the upper back really isn't much bigger than a swatch should be. If it were me, I would start off, making that upper back and measure against the schematic or body to ensure proper gauge (remembering that there will also be a little trim on the edges). The upper back is pretty small, relative to the rest of the garment and it should measure about bra strap-to-bra strap. And, keep in mind that the remainder of the garment will cause the bodice to grow vertically due to gravity and the weight of the garment.

Archived