Uses For Doilies

If you're interested in reenacting or wearing costumes, doilies make great jabots! Just pinch it in the middle and pin it under a collar with a brooch. Finer thread doilies work really well for this.

Lovely idea! I'm not into costuming but that idea would also go with a blouse. Thank you

If you're interested in reenacting or wearing costumes, doilies make great jabots! Just pinch it in the middle and pin it under a collar with a brooch. Finer thread doilies work really well for this.

I've made the bowls in the past using Mod Podge. They are so pretty. Thank you for reminding me of these.

I have both a basket and a hat, made from a doily starched and laid over a bowl or something to dry, have you tried one of those, Im sure instructions are on line somewhere.......

I'm currently making a doily tablerunner consisting of 25 doilies of all different shapes and sizes for my cousins wedding in 2015. Can't wait to see it when its all laid out. :)

I love the dreamcatcher idea too.

Just saw a back issue of CardMaker magagine (September 2012) that uses crochet flower motifs as embellishments on greeting cards.  I'm thinking miniature thread doilies or maybe thread trim/edgings would look great on cards as well.

A few years ago I found some Christmas cards with a poem about snowflakes. I added a crochet glittery snowflake ornie in each one.

Just saw a back issue of CardMaker magagine (September 2012) that uses crochet flower motifs as embellishments on greeting cards.  I'm thinking miniature thread doilies or maybe thread trim/edgings would look great on cards as well.

Been there done that. I get so into Pinterest when I go on there. It's like going through a forest and getting lost in all the beauties. LOL

If you go to Pinterest and search doilies; you get tons of ideas.

I've posted about this before, but with a couple more visits to antique malls, my vintage doily collection has grown, so I'm posting an updated picture. I've seen on Pinterest the lovely runners created by sewing doilies together, but for more flexibility I prefer to just arrange them the way I want them for centerpieces. I keep vowing to stop buying them, but they are so charming I can't resist "just one more."  I love contrasts between rustic and refined, so sometimes I do a centerpiece with a piece of fringed burlap. Touches of silver look good, too.

Another use for doilies (if there's one in a color you don't like and don't plan to keep) is to use it as a template for spray-painting a doily design onto something. I used a lace top that I didn't like instead of a doily to spray-paint $1 charger plates from Michael's. It's in another post, but I'm having trouble with the search function and couldn't find it to re-post.

post-1473-0-52988000-1382547944_thumb.jpg

For card makers or other paper crafters--I scanned a doily with colored paper behind it for a very pretty background. The opacity can be adjusted for a fainter image. Makes a nice beginning for paper projects.

What a terrific thread this is.  Think I will use Reni C's idea about adding a glttery crocheted snowflake with my cards.  Afghaniac's table runner is lovely and a wonderful use of vintage doilies.  Thanks so much for these great ideas.

Lovely- absolutely lovely. I notice too, the photo of the girl on the wall behind the banister, looks like she's either trying to see the tablescape or looking at the camera. Amazing! Thank you for showing the photo.

I've posted about this before, but with a couple more visits to antique malls, my vintage doily collection has grown, so I'm posting an updated picture. I've seen on Pinterest the lovely runners created by sewing doilies together, but for more flexibility I prefer to just arrange them the way I want them for centerpieces. I keep vowing to stop buying them, but they are so charming I can't resist "just one more."  I love contrasts between rustic and refined, so sometimes I do a centerpiece with a piece of fringed burlap. Touches of silver look good, too.

Another use for doilies (if there's one in a color you don't like and don't plan to keep) is to use it as a template for spray-painting a doily design onto something. I used a lace top that I didn't like instead of a doily to spray-paint $1 charger plates from Michael's. It's in another post, but I'm having trouble with the search function and couldn't find it to re-post.

Ha ha, you're right. And she looks as if I'd put her in a cage! Actually it's an oil painting by a Guatemalan artist. I guess I kind of favor photorealism in art, because that's the only kind I myself have been able to do -- not creative enough to do stuff that requires truly right-brain thinking.

I love the idea of doilies on greeting cards. Before I learned I couldn't "thread it," I had a magnificent plan to make all my Christmas cards with doilies! My holiday card list has grown so short over the years that maybe I could just buy tiny vintage doilies and do it!

Ha ha, you're right. And she looks as if I'd put her in a cage! Actually it's an oil painting by a Guatemalan artist. I guess I kind of favor photorealism in art, because that's the only kind I myself have been able to do -- not creative enough to do stuff that requires truly right-brain thinking.

I love the idea of doilies on greeting cards. Before I learned I couldn't "thread it," I had a magnificent plan to make all my Christmas cards with doilies! My holiday card list has grown so short over the years that maybe I could just buy tiny vintage doilies and do it!

My list has grown so small, it's almost non-existent!!  I always have good intentions to get started early--like in October, addressing envelopes.  Then I think how much it's going to cost to mail 100 or more cards!!! :no

Many (and I mean many) years ago I made my own Christmas cards with a watercolor pine tree and a verse printed on the inside about the Spirit of the Christmas Tree. On the outside I tacked on a crocheted glittery Christmas tree over the fold of the card. With the fold facing out, it stood up sparkling in the lights. The tree could also be removed and hung on the tree. Innovations always came in handy when funds were short.

I remember sending out 40+ cards at the time. Now my card list has dwindled to maybe ten. No one writes anymore. What a shame.

Many (and I mean many) years ago I made my own Christmas cards with a watercolor pine tree and a verse printed on the inside about the Spirit of the Christmas Tree. On the outside I tacked on a crocheted glittery Christmas tree over the fold of the card. With the fold facing out, it stood up sparkling in the lights. The tree could also be removed and hung on the tree. Innovations always came in handy when funds were short.

I remember sending out 40+ cards at the time. Now my card list has dwindled to maybe ten. No one writes anymore. What a shame.

You hit the nail on the head. I lost interest in sending cards when people stopped writing notes or started mass-printing Christmas brag letters. So impersonal and meaningless.

Archived