Share Your Favorite Crochet Tip, Trick, or Hint

Amy

Question

Do you have a favorite crochet tip, trick, or hint that makes crocheting easier for you? Share it here!

16 answers to this question

I love safety pins for stitch markers.  I tried the traditional ones and started using saftey pins.  Since I make lots of toys, I also have them on hand when I need to "pin" something while I'm trying to put it all together. :lol

I have two tips that helped me progress:

Crocheters who would like to try their hand at cluster stitches:  When working cluster stitches into the starting chain,  the next ch will automatically get "squished".  Don't hesitate to push your yarn cluster over and really look at the chain.  Until I realized the cluster of stitches squished the next chain, making it very easy to miss, I was constantly driving myself crazy thinking I had miscounted my started chain!

If I have a really long chain and a lot of cluster stitches, I will consider using a contrasting thread and needle and run the color thread thru the chains where the clusters will be going.  THat way when my stitch gets squished, I can see where the next insertion is.

I don't do the ring or magic circle.  I like a method called the Sloppy Slip Knot or the Chain Two method.  Chain two.  Insert the hook into the second stitch and do 12 dc or whatever you're doing.  The stitch will expand to accommodate.  Slip stitch to join and pull the tail shut to close the tail.  This is easier than magic circle and the hole stays tight.  

I have two favorites:  1. the russian joining so you never need to work in ends.  2. Clover comfort needles Amour hooks and

markers. The Amour hooks by clover have sliver tips with color coded and comfort grip. The markers I use are also clover and

look like a safety pin without the extra circle. They do not damage the yarn in anyway.

I love safety pins for stitch markers.  I tried the traditional ones and started using saftey pins.  Since I make lots of toys, I also have them on hand when I need to "pin" something while I'm trying to put it all together. :lol

​I agree--this is a good "stitch holder".  But be sure to get the coil-less safety pins, or you'll be catching the yarn in the coils and tearing it! 

One of the handiest crochet tools I have is my little blue "D" hook. I seldom use it for crocheting, but use it almost every day as a tool, instead. I find it really helpful to get rid of that last bit of yarn when I'm weaving in those ends of yarn. I always keep it handy to grab that loop when I've set my work down and the hook has fallen out, too.

It's handy for making a nice thin chain for baby booties ties, and is handy for weaving them in and out of that bootie, too. Even if I've used a larger hook for a project, I often use this little hook to do a row of single crochet around the edge, it gives a nice finished edge.

It's thin enough to run it (up and down) thru my stitches to use as a side edge when I'm measuring off for a swatch to check my gauge, using this hook and my yarn needle on the other side... until I figured this out, i never checked my gauge, now I do, and it just takes a minute.... and saves hours of aggravation later on,  lol.

Once in a while, as I'm on the sofa watching TV, I use it as I go over the afghan that I have over me, just tucking in any stray ends (cowlicks, I call 'em) and clipping them off if needed. Some of my old afghans are more than 20 years old, but still look pretty good, considering the wear and tear they've seen.

This old blue hook has been used so much the paint has worn off in several places, it was one of the original hooks that came in a set of Boye hooks my Mom gave me about 35 years ago. I know I'll think of several more things i use this tiny hook for after i post this... I know I'm reaching for it several times a day as I'm crocheting.

Hope you find it's a handy little tool, too!

I have two tips that helped me progress:

Crocheters who would like to try their hand at cluster stitches:  When working cluster stitches into the starting chain,  the next ch will automatically get "squished".  Don't hesitate to push your yarn cluster over and really look at the chain.  Until I realized the cluster of stitches squished the next chain, making it very easy to miss, I was constantly driving myself crazy thinking I had miscounted my started chain!

My second tip would be to really "look" at stitches as you make them. 

Most "how to" books talk about putting your hook under the two top threads, or "V", always having you look at your work from the top.  Now that I have been crocheting awhile, I think more in terms of placing my hook under the "v" looking at it from the side.  Kinda looks like a bridge with the "v" as the top of the bridge and a single horizontal "trellis" under it.  Your hook goes in between the "top of the bridge and the trellis". 

I just created this PDF file of the "invisible join/finishing technique".. I also love the foundation & magic rings... and starting in the "bumps" instead of the V.. All great tricks! 

attachicon.gifInvisibleJoinTutorialbyTreasures&TrinketsbyTiffany2013.pdf

thanks, i will give that a try on my next project 

I just created this PDF file of the "invisible join/finishing technique".. I also love the foundation & magic rings... and starting in the "bumps" instead of the V.. All great tricks! 

InvisibleJoinTutorialbyTreasures&TrinketsbyTiffany2013.pdf

You gals already told about some of my favorites.  But you didn't mention the "Magic Ring".  That's another of my favorite tricks! 

Oh yes!!  How could I forget the magic ring!  One of the BEST ever.  :-)

You gals already told about some of my favorites.  But you didn't mention the "Magic Ring".  That's another of my favorite tricks! 

After the foundation stitches  :lol  my next favorite trick is to start a row of dc without chaining 3.  Couple of different ways depending if you are starting new yarn or not.

Standing crochet with new yarn, scroll down a bit for blog entry by Edie Eckman http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/

Chainless dc, for new row with existing yarn, by Christine http://www.ravelry.com/projects/TXCr1cket/chainless-starting-dc-stitch---updated

I have tried this, but just can't seem to "get it".  Mine always turn out worse looking that just doing the chain 3.  Probably just need to spend an evening practicing, practicing, practicing....

After the foundation stitches  :lol  my next favorite trick is to start a row of dc without chaining 3.  Couple of different ways depending if you are starting new yarn or not.

Standing crochet with new yarn, scroll down a bit for blog entry by Edie Eckman http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/

Chainless dc, for new row with existing yarn, by Christine http://www.ravelry.com/projects/TXCr1cket/chainless-starting-dc-stitch---updated

Archived