Crochetville's new format

This is not bad, but I liked the other way better. How do I edit my signiture and put a picture in the "ghost" box :think ?

BTW: At the top, where my name is, it used to say when I last visited, can you get that back :think ?

Ellie 13

This is not bad, but I liked the other way better. How do I edit my signiture and put a picture in the "ghost" box :think ?

BTW: At the top, where my name is, it used to say when I last visited, can you get that back :think ?

Ellie 13

For information on editing your signature, click the Help File link in the big pink box at the top of any forum page. The files there will tell you how to do all sorts of stuff around here.

You can hover over a person's name above a post or visit their profile to see the date of their last visit to Crochetville.

>>>Is it the font size in posts or in other areas of the forum that's a problem? The default font size is showing at a wonderful size for me. And yes, my eyes are getting older, too, and I frequently have to resort to reading glasses on top of my regular glasses to be able to read some sites when my eyes are tired or in low lighting.<<<

Amy

I understand how essential it was to get onto a better platform - often times the end user does not realize the bottom is about to fall out because the facade looks good.

It may be that it is not clear what some are saying.  The text within the responses is not all that difficult it is some of the perphical info that folks seem to be having the most difficult, i.e., poster's name, location, date posted, that sort of thing.  Many small issues are, I think, just a matter of getting the (eye) muscle memory so you eye goes to the place you expect to find the info.

My "biggest issue" with the new format is the "grayed out" is very difficult. I know it was a huge problem with my mom when the cataracts started and for me, is now not just older ers, but since the eye strokes - one eye has a sheer grey viel between me and the world so more contrast is important.  It was impossible for me to read CV at all while unexpectedly in hospital the last few days and since two of them were sit and be observed it would have been nice to distract myself with CV and similar groups. 

As a result,  it was most disturbing to find out just how debased daytime tv has become instead of reading about everyone's projects and postiive stuff in Facebook <G> something I am sure did nothing to help my BP <G>

On the SIZE of the font,  some may want to try holding down thier CONTROL (CTRL) key and use the scroll button in their "3 Button" Mouse to increase text size.  This may mean needing to expand the entire browser window, but it should make things easier to read.

Someplace in the main css file will be controls for the size of the poster name, and the color used. In many cases using black instead of a color and/or bolding the info can make a HUGE difference.

I do like the LIKE button and hope you may consider add someothers. Like and Agree are both nice and saves lots of time and space when you really have nothing to add to the discussion but want to show your reaction much quicker.

Hope some of this may help others.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

I'm not really happy with the birthday situation either. For one thing, it's displaying everyone's birthday and actual age, and some people may have chosen to keep that private on the old site.

I'm trying to find a plug-in of some kind that might allow us to filter the birthdays so they only display people who have been on the forum in the past (X) number of days as well as not display the age. So far, I haven't found anything. And the software doesn't give me a built-in way to change things.

If I can't find anything to make the actual age private, I may end up having to disable the birthday feature, just because of privacy concerns. If the birthdays have to go away, what does everyone think about displaying forum anniversaries instead (based on your join date)?

In this age of identity theft I think the birthdays should be private.  I don't think it's necessary for our posts.  If someone wants to reveal their age in a post that's up to them   I think this feature SHOULD be disabled  Also I have to re-read everything I type as spellcheck doesn't seem to work here anymore,.  I'm sure I'm making lots of typos.  Although I have my settings set to receive emails, I still don't get them.  I finally found out that by clicking my name when I sign on, I can view my "content" (subscriptions).

I guess we won't have the bookmarks.  I had a few things bookmarked on the old system.

I miss having the poster's home location under their name, also I wish our names could be just a bit bolder above each post. I may have to get a tune-up on my eyeballs soon, I'm finding many things to be very 'pale'.

One **great* thing I found by accident today was that funny little upside down lightbulb thingy - up on the top right corner of every page next to the 'view new content'--- that's an index to the whole site, makes it easy to get around instead of using the back button over and over or trying to hunt around.. it's all right there, try it!

I like having that column on the left side for choosing to look at the new things posted since I was here last, but BEST of ALL.... I can easily see the "Items I Participated in"... to remind myself I'm still a "thread killer" ...lol.!

Thanks to Amy for addressing some of these issues already--the poster's home locations are now visible.  And I LOVE having that aforementioned column on the left side for choosing previous posts--I never was able to stay online long enough each day to see all the content, and I just missed lots of it!  Amy and her crew are to be applauded!!

Maybe I am just blind or stupid, but is there any way to to skip to the unread comments in a specific thread? I miss that feature. Also, is ther any way to avoid signing in every time?

Maybe I am just blind or stupid, but is there any way to to skip to the unread comments in a specific thread?

Click the blue dot or star on the left of the thread.  It will take you to the last read post.

Also, is ther any way to avoid signing in every time?

There is a remember me feature when signing in.

If you forget to click the bullet or star to the left of a thread title to go to the first unread post, and you just click on the thread title, just click the "Go to first unread post" text link to the left of the black "Reply to this topic" button at the very top of the thread.

If I may... to me, it's not really the font size that's an issue, it's the font itself. This looks like it's arial, and that's always a little harder to read. I think the last version of the forum was verdana or tahoma, and those fonts are way easier to read - the letters aren't as squished together. Calibri is also easy on the eyes. Arial is just not (IMO).

Amy, why does the font show up smaller in some threads than others?  This one I haven't had to adjust at all.  I can read it fine, but the last thread I was in, somewhere in show & tell, when I went to respond the font size was so tiny I could barely see it.  They should all be set at a default size shouldn't they?

Click the blue dot or star on the left of the thread.  It will take you to the last read post.

There is a remember me feature when signing in.

If you forget to click the bullet or star to the left of a thread title to go to the first unread post, and you just click on the thread title, just click the "Go to first unread post" text link to the left of the black "Reply to this topic" button at the very top of the thread.

Thanks!

I usually hold to the old adage that if you can't say something nice about something or someone, don't say anything.  But since both positive and negative opinions are necessary in a case like this, well, I guess I'll break my own rule.  I have to say that I just plain MISS the old format.  At the risk of being totally negative, I just don't like this one at all.  Another forum that I belong to has gone to this same format and many of the regulars over there don't like that one either.  The worst thing about it for me is that it does NOT work with Chrome!  So every time I want to come here I have to open Internet Explorer or none of the photos or links will open.  I HATE Internet Explorer so that makes it doubly bad for me, not liking the forum OR the browser that I have to use to get here.  I know I sound horrid here, and Amy and Donna, I am truly sorry for that because you two ladies do SO much for us to give us a great place to hang out to discuss our favorite hobby, and that IS very much appreciated, but you did ask.  I know that as time goes on we will adjust to this forum, but I think I will forever miss the old one it was just SO user-friendly!

Elle, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time getting used to the new format. I'm able to use Chrome on a PC with absolutely no problems at all. Are you using the most current version of Chrome? It's possible you might also need to change some of your settings to allow Crochetville as a trusted site.

It's so interesting how each of us react so differently to the new forum. I personally find this software much more intuitive and more user-friendly than the old vBulletin stuff.

But if your browser isn't working correctly for you, it's no wonder you much prefer the old version. I would, too, in that case!

Maybe if you can let us know which version of Chrome you're using and which operating system and version, and give us some pretty specific details about the errors you're getting (what you're clicking, what you're doing, etc.), we'll be able to get things working better for you.

Instead of IE, I would suggest using Firefox. I don't like IE at all, either. I'm totally with you on that one!

whoohoo!!!!!  All the light gray is darker and I can read it without having to squint!  Thank you!!!!!

Good to know!

Elle, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time getting used to the new format. I'm able to use Chrome on a PC with absolutely no problems at all. Are you using the most current version of Chrome? It's possible you might also need to change some of your settings to allow Crochetville as a trusted site.

It's so interesting how each of us react so differently to the new forum. I personally find this software much more intuitive and more user-friendly than the old vBulletin stuff.

But if your browser isn't working correctly for you, it's no wonder you much prefer the old version. I would, too, in that case!

Maybe if you can let us know which version of Chrome you're using and which operating system and version, and give us some pretty specific details about the errors you're getting (what you're clicking, what you're doing, etc.), we'll be able to get things working better for you.

Instead of IE, I would suggest using Firefox. I don't like IE at all, either. I'm totally with you on that one!

I will have to check to see which version of Chrome I am using.  If I see anything that suggests that I need to update any programs I am using I always upgrade, provided, of course, it wasn't a scam ad trying to get me to purchase spyware or a system cleaner or something.  So I THINK that I'm up to date here.  On the other forum that I belong to, when I brought up the fact that I wasn't able to open photos or links, the administrators told me that it was because I was using Chrome and that that particular forum didn't work well with it and it was they who suggested that I use I.E. when I used that forum, so that's why I figured that it was the forum itself that wasn't compatible with Chrome.  And that was only about a month ago that they told me that.  Of course, it could just be a case of those administrators being badly misinformed, especially since you yourself are using Chrome with no problems, but as soon as I did as they suggested, the thing behaved normally for me.  DH is our resident computer tech here at the hotel so I will have him goof around with my laptop while I'm at work today to make sure that everything I am using is as it should be.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for your help!  And again, thanks so much for giving us such a great place to hang out with other crochetiers!

I usually use Firefox but on the occasions I use Chrome,. I have no problem with accessing this forum.  My only problem now is that the email notices I get is only for this topic and not for any of the others I might follow/participate in.

I usually use Firefox but on the occasions I use Chrome,. I have no problem with accessing this forum.  My only problem now is that the email notices I get is only for this topic and not for any of the others I might follow/participate in.

You may need to refresh your email notification settings. Just click the little white triangle up by your name in the black bar and go to your settings. You can choose to get notifications for all sorts of things (much more than on the old forum) and choose how often you want to receive those notifications.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived