What are your favorite hooks?

Janie

I'm wondering what type of hooks Crochetvillians favor? I usually prefer the Boye aluminum but am having a heck of a time with my yarn splitting on my current project comprised of multiple-loop stitches. Does anyone have a favorite that seems to help with such a problem?

I'm a Bates lover myself. I really love the new bamboo handled ones. You may want to try a Bates and see if it splits less.

What yarn are you using? Some split more than others.

I'm using Bernat Satin, which I've used several times before and never have had a problem.

I haven't heard of splitting problems with that one. You mentioned 'multiple loop stitches' - do you mean like a decrease or a cluster? A lot of that is tension. If it's a new technique it just takes some playing around to find the perfect tension for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always had problems with yarn splitting when using Boye aluminum hooks. I started using Susan Bates aluminum hooks and do not have that issue. The design is very different and makes crocheting much smoother. I haven't bought all sizes yet and had to use a Boye size F/5 hook a couple of days ago. I muttered and fussed the whole time!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite hooks are Addi Swing:crocheting because with them can i croch for hours and not get pain in my hands or fingers . with metallic hooks i hold hard and get hurt

If your yarn is splitting, you might want to try Quicksilver hooks. They have the same type of head as a Susan Bates. I don't know what it is about that special coating on the hooks, but after trying a regular Susan Bates and a Boye hook, the Quicksilver hook was the only one that solved my splitting issue! You can usually find them either at some place like Michaels or a LYS.

:c9

I cannot use the bates hooks without the same problem teddyflynn has... I can't stand to use them.

I use the boye type head, but it is similar to the soft touch hooks and those are my favorite. They have a reflections line that is plastic, which I don't usually care for, but these are nice and come in a K, L and N size too

I don't like Susan Bates hooks at all. I love my old plastic (or some such material) Boye hooks from the 70s but I only have a few. I ordered a set of bamboo hooks for a really cheap price on eBay and they are shaped like Bates hooks. My husband took a couple of them to his workshop and changed them into Boye shapes. They are fantastic and if I break one now I can replace it, unlike my 70s ones.:clap

I have always used Boye hooks with much success. Can't stand Susan Bates hooks! Just last week I found The Crochet Dude's ergonomic hooks, bought one and tried it. I LOVE LOVE it! My hands don't get as tired using Drew's hooks. Went back and bought 3 more!

I have always been a Boye user, I never knew there was a difference until I came to the 'ville. I probably have 3 dozen hooks now, mostly Boye or Bates. I have stayed with the Boye, thinking I preferred it, but now that I have gained a lot of experience, I can see that Bates might have the advantage.

In my case, splitting seems to be more of a yarn problem than a technique issue, but it might be different for others.

Archived