Humming, singsong and ditties

Do you do this??... ""One, two, chain and do two""... hummed along to the tune of "1,2, buckle my shoe"

Today I'm working on an afghan, the pattern has just double decreases and chains. When I read the pattern, and slowly worked thru all the yarn overs and chains and do this here and do this there's... I finally came up with a simple "near, far, together, forever" that I repeat over and over as I whiz down the rows.

Just wondering if anyone else breaks their row's patterns down into some sort of verse to sing or hum along to while you crochet? When I figure out a good singsong for a row, I jot it on a post-it. On the repeats, I just check my post-its for what verse to sing and I'm ready to start stitching without having to refigure from the pattern all over again.

I do make a short saying I repeat. But not really in a sing song rythmn.

Sort of like, "one, two, three (for counting similar sc's, dc's, etc) skip, together," and so on. helps me keep my place and makes the work seem to go faster.

Once I get to know the pattern--in my mind I do 1, 2,1 3, 2, 1...according to how many of each stitches...

If anyone could her my thoughts---it sure would be entertaining!!! :lol

• 3 weeks later...

When I am doing increase rows I usually count to myself. Such as 1, 2, 3&4 with the 3&4 being in the same stitch. I do the same when I am decreasing. The other day I was working on a hat using my interpertation of a pattern. It was 4 DC and then 1 FPDC. After messing up a couple of times and having to frog a couple of rows, I came up with this ditty - 1, 2, 3, 4, and around the post we go. It worked. No more mistakes. What we do when we crochet.:lol

When I am doing increase rows I usually count to myself. Such as 1, 2, 3&4 with the 3&4 being in the same stitch. I do the same when I am decreasing. The other day I was working on a hat using my interpertation of a pattern. It was 4 DC and then 1 FPDC. After messing up a couple of times and having to frog a couple of rows, I came up with this ditty - 1, 2, 3, 4, and around the post we go. It worked. No more mistakes. What we do when we crochet.:lol

1, 2, 3, 4 ""and around the post we go"", that's a good one for front or back post stitches!

Boksie, I love your "double trouble"... I think I may use that one... I use "together, forever" when they're worked in the same stitch

I often sing "shall we dance" for single crochet things, adding whatever I need after it.... for 3 stitches, chain 2, I'll sing to myself "shall we dance, step, step"

Sometimes I sound like Lawrence Welk, doing double crochets... and a one, and a two, and a three... depending on the pattern. I find once I get a little verse in my head for the pattern, it seems to go so much faster.

Anymore?

This thread cracks me up because I can totally relate to it! When I make my butterflies, I count with intensity to 8, then I let up with my single stitch, then start counting all the way to 8 in one breath (if I can), then I let it out when I do the single stitch. I do the same when I make my stars and have to count to 4 -- it becomes this intense counting moment, when I count aloud and have to ignore the person I'm talking to if I'm in the same room because if I don't consciously count --- I'll end up only doing 3 stitches and mess up.

I have been known to design doll clothes based on a song I can't get out of my head... it just seemed the easiest thing to do. Since the song would not go away; might as well make use of it.

It is not exactly singing to the stitch but more of stitching the song. :rofl

• 3 weeks later...

Archived