I got to thinking as I was looking through patterns for yet another hat, that I like patterns for crochet hats that start at the top and work their way down to the bottom edge, yet when knitting a hat, I like the patterns that start at the bottom edge and work their way up to the top.:think

I think because in the crochet hats that start at the bottom, I manage to twist up the chain stitches and get them all in a mess and have to frog it.

And with the knitting, I do know that it's hard to start 8 stitches on double points and then keep increasing from the top.

What's your opinion on this matter? Am I weird?

:manyheart

Totally normal, I'd say. Makes sense, too, about having to make sure the beginning crochet chain doesn't twist. One less thing to worry 'bout if you start at the top. :yes

Kind of off-topic... I am JUST learning to knit, and I'm fascinated how the patterns start from the bottom and go up. But right now my main concern is keeping all of the stitches on the needles! :eek:lol

I am weird.

You are weird.

We are weird.

He is weird.

You are weird.

They are weird.

Linda, I'm right there with ya'. Weird, if weird this be, because this is exactly my feeling. Crochet hats from the top, knit 'em from the bottom. It's just a response to the exigencies of the method. (And I'm also weird enough to have the first thought to pop into my head a conjugation with "weird" as a modifier. — And have you ever noticed how weird the word "weird" looks on paper?)

There. I'm done and everyone is, no doubt, very glad.

I am a beginner knitter too and I don't know how to increase stitches yet so working from bottom up knitting is how I would go too. And I like the look of crochet hats better when they start at the top and work down.

I would have added in my weirdness also but I think my name says it for me)

I am weird.

You are weird.

We are weird.

He is weird.

You are weird.

They are weird.

Linda, I'm right there with ya'. Weird, if weird this be, because this is exactly my feeling. Crochet hats from the top, knit 'em from the bottom. It's just a response to the exigencies of the method. (And I'm also weird enough to have the first thought to pop into my head a conjugation with "weird" as a modifier. — And have you ever noticed how weird the word "weird" looks on paper?)

There. I'm done and everyone is, no doubt, very glad.

that was great weirdness!

Ok, Im weird too because that make total sense to me too!

:yes..... :think:eek:yes:rofl

Oh...and I've only done one hat bottom up because I prefer top down too!

Well, if you are weird, then so am I. I find it easier to start at the top when crocheting and at the bottom when knitting.:hook

Well, I guess I'm not the only one.

Took a sick day yesterday off from the family. Mostly stayed in bed and knitted. Completed one hat that was started and then made another one, using the bottom-up style in knitting. I really can go pretty fast on these, worked in the round, on circular needles.

Archived