People frustrate me!

I recently made some toddler hats for a friend. She loved them and was very appreciative. Some of her friends asked where they could buy them, so she directed them to me. When I said $15 for one or two for $25, they acted like I was trying to pull one over on them. :angry I even tried explaining that one hat uses 4 colors of yarn, which is $3 a skein, so the total cost of materials is $12, therefore I am only making $3 in profit. A polite no thanks,I'll just buy one from Walmart followed. Ugh. Really? Fine, dress your kid in something mass produced instead of something original and handmade. My little vent for the evening. :blush

Sometimes it's a blessing not to be able to sell or give someone something. Most likely the person would expect you to wash them and repair them.

I have reached the point that if I feel the receiver won't appreciate the "hand" or "home" made and the time and effort I would put into it, then they just don't get it. I"m much happier not getting aggravated and they are happier thinking they got a "quality" product.

There is a polite way and a wrong way to exit from a situation and you just observed the wrong way.

MANY people have no clue when it comes to a variety of crafts, services, and other things of interest they may want. It is easy to stick your foot into something and there is a right and a wrong way to pull it out. I will admit to having been guilty of seeing how someone does something and without thinking gotten myself into a sales pitch for something I have no intention of purchasing. You have to carefully walk yourself back if you don't want to offend the person you just engaged in your over enthusiasm.

Mass produced may be a better option for them if they don't have any interest in caring for it, their kids constantly lose stuff, etc. Many people incorrectly assume that hand made is cheaper. They have no clue what the materials (forget your time and talent are worth) cost. If the sticker shock for materials sends them off, then realistically they are better off with mass produced.

My friends kids aunt made her a crochet sock monkey hat and somebody else bought the other sister a store bought one (not crocheted) and the ears came off and had to be sewed back on and the eyes too. with in like a couple of weeks.!

Unfortunately, practically all non-crafters are clueless about both what materials cost and how much time crafting takes. Sorry you had a bad experience. They just don't know...

This is what happens. It's sad that people don't understand how much time, effort and skill it takes.

I think your prices were within reason. People who craft sometimes undervalue their work, just to make a sale. I have bought knitted hats for my daughter for $15, before I learned to knit.

Some people just don't understand.

:hug:manyheart:hug

I recently made some toddler hats for a friend. She loved them and was very appreciative. Some of her friends asked where they could buy them, so she directed them to me. When I said $15 for one or two for $25, they acted like I was trying to pull one over on them. :angry I even tried explaining that one hat uses 4 colors of yarn, which is $3 a skein, so the total cost of materials is $12, therefore I am only making $3 in profit. A polite no thanks,I'll just buy one from Walmart followed. Ugh. Really? Fine, dress your kid in something mass produced instead of something original and handmade. My little vent for the evening. :blush

I understand what you are saying. People do not want to pay what handmade items are really worth. But.... just wanted to point out that although you might be initially buying 4 skeins of yarn for the hat...... you will only use a small portion of each skein for one hat -- so materials do not really cost you $12. Out of that $12 worth of yarn,you could probably make at least 4 hats (assuming these are your normal toddler hats) -- so materials are only going to be $3 in reality. I still think you are well within reason charging $15 for one if that is what you want for your time (a quick check on etsy shows prices all over the place from $4 to $30! So $15 is right in the middle). But it is not going to make you any friends if they realize quickly that no way did one tiny toddler hat contain 4 skeins of yarn. They will figure that out and then they won't understand the real reason you need to charge that much -- you have to get somethnig for your time! Keep explanation to facts and the fact is that you do deserve something for your time. Why else would you do it for people you do not even know who are not in need? I am not picking on you here, I am trying to help because when you stretch the facts like that, it will only come back to bite you.

I want to make sure you understand though -- I think you are fine to charge that much for the hats, just let them know you are trying to pay yourself a minimum wage. :)

Did you charge your friend for the original hats? She may have inadvertantly done you out of a sale while singing your praises to her friends! Could you not use your stash to make up the hats, it seems quite expensive to buy 4 new skeins and only use part for a toddler hat. People really do expect something for nothing these days, they just dont take into account your time and supplies and with 4 colours all the ends to finish off lol! Places like walmart have a lot to answer for. Is sounds to me like you are better off without the sale, customers like that can just be a nightmare. Just chalk it up to experience and put it in the past, its just not worth worrying about.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I agree. Some people just don't understand what we do.

I had a similar experience when I entered my first craft show. At that time, about 18 years ago, people would walk by and say stuff like 'I can get Aunt so and so to make that for me.' I never entered my crochet in another sale again. I'd rather give it away to those I know who'll love it.

I think it is a matter of finding an audience that not only appreciates your work, but has the budget that affords the cost. The champagne taste on a beer budget does not help those wanting to sell their crafts. People can like the work, it doesn't mean they can or will pay the cost regardless of the value of what they are getting.

personally I don't think it matters how much your materials cost if you feel your price is reaonable then that is what you charge and you don't have to justify; if you need the sale you might have to lower the price to be competitive. A lot of people equate home/hand made with cheap price. We have become accustomed to low prices based on cheap labor

I did not have these colors in my stash. And no, I did not charge my friend initially. However, she made it clear to the woman that I would be charging. I think what bothered me the most was the way she acted like I was trying to cheat her or something. If I wanted to work for $1 an hour, then I would move to a third world country. As it is, crafters can't make minimum wage without charging out of this world prices. I guess I will chalk this experience up to a lesson learned the hard way.

Chichi--I always say my work is "Handmade" not "Homemade"! You have set a reasonable price for your goods and if they don't want to pay it, too bad!

You go, girl!~ You don't need any explanation. Your work justifies the price.

:hug

Archived