Crochet for Blythe Dolls

Dub Trance

These odd dolls, only available from Japan have quite the cult following, look them up on e-Bay and you will see these creepy dolls are quite the new "IT" thing amongst collectors of the odd and funky. Originally the dolls were created in 1972 and they have a little string in the back that when you pull, the eyes not only change colour, but also position when you open the eyes back up. Naturally they scared little girls and were pulled off the market: the crazy eyes and big heads with small little bodies, just didn't take off.

Flash forward a few decades when an art student and fashion designer discovered one and went bonkers over it and started taking the doll everywhere and using fun little clothes to take pictures of the doll. The dolls were made especially again for a japanese commercial for a department store at Christmas time, and BOOM the demand for the dolls in asia and a niche cult market in the US and they have an obsessive and loyal following. The 13 inch dolls are only available in Japan and the lowest they sometimes go for can be as low as a hundred. I have seen some of them even opened in their boxes going for several hundred. The people customizing them, changing them up to suit their fancy. Here is a simple hat I whipped up for my friends' doll, the doll's retail version is called Blythe: Nicky Ladd

post-48295-135897690451_thumb.jpg

That yarn was a lovely little purchase from Joann, and was fun to work with. I myself just ordered one of those darn dolls, just so I know what what size the head is for when I make little things for my friends and their Blythes...too funny! I am envious of the lady who has 14 of them! :)

That yarn was a lovely little purchase from Joann, and was fun to work with. I myself just ordered one of those darn dolls, just so I know what what size the head is for when I make little things for my friends and their Blythes...too funny! I am envious of the lady who has 14 of them! :)

Don't be! Blythe dolls are a slippery slope...lol. I got one just to make clothes for a friend. Bad mistake:lol

I absolutely love her hat and outfit!! :clap:clap

I had one as a kid that was made in 1972. It looks just like yours. She was one of my favorite dolls but my brother would always make fun of her because of her big head. LOL.

He always called her an alien, but I didn't care because I thought she was a cool doll. I loved how her eyes could change color.

I still have mine in her original dress and was lucky to come across another one for 50cents at a tag sale. I had to have her because mine is blonde and the one I found has dark hair.:)

I absolutely love her hat and outfit!! :clap:clap

I had one as a kid that was made in 1972. It looks just like yours. She was one of my favorite dolls but my brother would always make fun of her because of her big head. LOL.

He always called her an alien, but I didn't care because I thought she was a cool doll. I loved how her eyes could change color.

I still have mine in her original dress and was lucky to come across another one for 50cents at a tag sale. I had to have her because mine is blonde and the one I found has dark hair.:)

Fifty cents???? Do you realize what an original Blythe is worth? That is my dream yard sale or thrift shop find. Still looking though,

50 cents at a yard sale? That original old one goes for SO much money! I tell ya those Blythe collector's do NOT come to play, I am so in awe of the amount of time people put into them, they're just so bizarre but I adore them.

Archived