Odd request

kittencrochet

I know this may seem a bit odd. But here's the story...and it's heartwrenching. In NC there is a beautiful 2 year old Spotted Saddle Horse named Dixie. On August 19th, Dixie went through a horrendous ordeal. 4 teenage girls between the ages of 12 and 15 set her tail on fire and watched her run through the pasture screaming. The girls have a prior history of animal cruelty and arson, but no convictions. The vets have said Dixie has a 60% chance of survival and will most likely lose her tail. Several people have told the owner she should put the horse down...but Dixie was running and playing just a few days ago like any other 2 y/o filly! She's fighting this. The girls who did this to her are looking at a mere $500 fine. There has been an outpouring of concern and outrage. We are hoping a new precendent will be set on animal cruelty by minors. One place has donated a Rambo fly tarp for her.:yay

So, what I was thinking is maybe some of us could send some cards to Dixie and her owner? I know...she's just a horse...but sometimes I think horses are more like we should be like. And I think it would really lift the owner's spirits. If you would like to read the article, I can give the address, but it is graphic...and I can also give you the e-mail addy for the DA if you'd like to encourage a tougher sentencing. I found the address on the website for the owner, so PM me if you'd like to send a card her way for Dixie.

The girls need help, almost all serial killers tortured animals as children, these girls are headed to a very bad place, and if they have a prior cruelty towards animals history something should be done right away it before some bleeding heart liberal just says it's a childhood prank..........it's not, it's the start of a bad bad pattern of cruelty that will eventually turn on humans.

I pm'd you. I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of animals in my home...but Dear God! What has this world come to? I could never imagine ever hurting one! What in the world have those girls been taught where they thought it was okay to do that? I think tonight I will count my blessings an extra time that I am raising my children with compassion and a good sense of right and wrong!

Donna

Ahem.... Let's not turn this into a political discussion Ladies. It's a tragic thing that happened and that's what the focus should be on, helping the owner of the horse.

I agree with Kari...definetly don't want to turn this political. Certianly share opinions with the DA's office and judge...if enough people voice their opinions, change will come. But my main concern is just to cheer up Dixie's "mom". Horses are so sensitive to human emotion...if her spirits are lifted, then Dixie will pick up on it and follow suit. And a huge thank you for all that are sending cards, letters of support and letters to the DA.

I too would be interested in the address to send a card. I pm'd you, don't think you got it. Anyway, I've got a special place in my heart for animals/animal lovers and especially those mistreated by humans. I've got NO respect for

anyone who represents the human race using cruelty. Makes me sick.

Lisa

please include me too. i can't get over what those girls did. that is just plain evil. maybe they should set them on fire while we all watvh the run and scream! maybe that will help them change their evil ways.

sorry about that... i just think it's real bad.

The girls need help, almost all serial killers tortured animals as children, these girls are headed to a very bad place, and if they have a prior cruelty towards animals history something should be done right away it before some bleeding heart liberal just says it's a childhood prank..........it's not, it's the start of a bad bad pattern of cruelty that will eventually turn on humans.

I aggree. There are programs for minors, a sort of rehabilitation for animal abusers. In the program they teach the minor to train animals and the poper ways of caring for an animal, sually a dog. The program i remember having a 98% rate of recovery, meaning they didn't get convicted of anymore animal cruelty charges. Has anyone else seen the program on Animal Planet called Red Flag? Its about the link between animal cruelty and human violence and how harming an animal is a Red Flag for other crimes.

Archived