allergic to wool/alpaca/etc..

Is there anyone else here in the 'ville allergic to wool/fur, everything EXCEPT acrylic, cotton, silk, bamboo ? I sometimes feel like I'm the only one and I feel kinda left out of doing certain things, like socks (cotton socks are B O R I N G):(

I seem to have allergies to alpaca. Wool can still itch but not so much, although on my feet wool socks seem to be OK. Guess my feet are tougher! Sorry you're have trouble with these animal fibers... :(

I have problems with wool unless it is merino super wash and only 50%. Has to be super wash though. Regular merino wont cut it. I seem to be ok with mohair as long as it is a blend and not straight mohair. Alpaca is fine for me. It is hard to find nice yarns that aren't acrylic or cotton that I can use so I do feel your pain.

animal fibres are off limits for me, too. I've been able to crochet with wool, enough to make something for felting, for example, but wearing it is a big no-no. But other animal fibres...I tried a "kitten mohair" once (kitten was supposed to say how soft the mohair was) :eek it was like fire-needles all over my hands, and I hadn't even started crocheting!

btw, I found a sock-yarn sub. Bernat's Baby Jacquards, and also the Joanne fabric brand that is similar, cuddle-something...acrylic-nylon blend. They seem comfortable working on an E (3.0mm/ 3.25mm) hook. The nylon is what keeps the bottom from wearing out as fast. More limiting on colors, though.

I'm right there with ya'll!... I can't work with wool or wool-blends of any kind. I wish it wasn't so because I feel like I'm missing out on working with so many beautiful colors and textures. But I get itchy and rashy when it touches my skin, so I know I can't even try. Like crochetluvknot, I stick to acrylic and cotton ~ and bamboo! (Can't forget that soft acrylic/bamboo blend! Soooooo so so so soft!) :)

I'm allergic to wools also, so I just stay with acrylics and cottons. The nice thing with acrylic is there are many types besides standard ww, sport, and baby ~ like chenille, suede, plush, and Jiffy (a somewhat mohair look).

I'm with you too! I keep seeing all these lovely felted totes and I'd just love to try one, but boy would I be itching! Same with alpalca too. I even break out if I use RHSS too much! I'm fine with it after it's washed though, thank goodness! :hook

Maybe the book No Sheep for You (aimed at knitters, but really a discussion of non-wool yarns) would be of assistance to some of the posters on this thread? I've linked to a short description/review of the book in the hopes that some frustrated crocheters will be able to expand beyond "cotton and acrylic." *so sorry*

DCM

I am also allergic to all animal yarns. It is nice that there are so many yarns now made from cotton, bamboo, acrylic, etc., for people like us.

Archived