**UPDATE-See Show and Tell** Advice on my first Filet Thread table runner

alchemyfyr

Hi All! My parents' 40th wedding anniversary is coming up soon. I wanted to make something special for my mother and have been wanting to learn filet crochet. I found a beautiful table runner with a butterfly and roses design in a vintage magazine that was my late Gramma's and thought it would be a nice gift.

The original instructions were to use a number 11 or 12 hook with very tiny thread and it would work out to 15 by 21". I have only done two thread projects before and that was much too small for my preference and I wanted the dimensions bigger anyway. I chose a size 3 hook with size 10 thread as that is what I had on hand.

I am 28 rows into it and am concerned because it looks way out of proportion. I did some figuring and it is looking like it will be about 30" wide and I am getting 7" for the 28 rows. There will be 125 rows total so figuring about 31.5" long. It is supposed to be a bit longer than wider. Will it stretch that much once pinned and blocked? How much stretch can I hope for? 30" wide was more than I was intending, but it may work out perfectly as she has a 6 or 7 foot dining room table so a larger piece would be perfect. Now if I can only hope for it to be about 36-38" long.....possible???

Oh, and I am enjoying the filet design too!! Check that off my list of new techniques to try :-)

post-13117-135897655785_thumb.jpg

i don't know if it will stretch that much or not. i've had things sort of shrink back over time also. but i think it is very pretty and will be very nice looking even if it is not longer than it is wide.

i definitely would not start over, but sometimes to get a taller row an extended dc works well---just for future reference:)

i really think it is beautiful, love the old-fashioned look! and since it is from your grandmother's pattern, it is really special:hook

It'll be the same dimensions as the original - just bigger. Do you have a picture of the finished item with the pattern?

You'll be amazed how far you can stretch filet when it's blocked. I do think that a size 3 hook is a little too big for size 10 thread tho so it'll stretch a lot when blocked. Do you know if you have a Boye or Bates hook?

I make DCs that are a bit on the short side, so a filet square for me is more of a short rectangle - I think that's not too unusual. I think you will be fine with that butterfly, it doesn't look out of proportion to me (it's lovely, in fact!), and yes you can fix most of the problem with aggressive blocking - maybe especially for your project as you've chosen a largish hook for the thread size.

thanks for the responses :-)

I'll just keep going along and hope I can block it and stretch it a bit. It is a Boye hook. There were some smaller hooks in my Gramma's hook box, but wow, they were tiny. I didn't think I would be able to keep the thread on :-)

I'll post another pic halfway through. Thanks!

Usually # 10 calls for a #7 hook, but it looks fine to me. You've gone a long way into it. If you want to experiment, start a new one with different sizes of needles, and save this one to finish if you are satisfied with what you already have. Also, be sure they have a table to fit the finished size. I made a doll dress with # 30, dyed it in hot water, and it shrank.

I love filet crochet, and have made several pieces. This is just beautiful!

For what its worth, I've found you can really form and stretch them (in all directions) when they are damp. Try it on another one you have, it may ease your mind a bit while you're finishing this one up.

It's beautiful, and I know your folks will cherish it!

RoseRed---just dc

I keep going back and forth on it....30" may be too wide. I think their table is 4' wide by 7 or 8' long my hubby thinks.

I did start a few others with smaller hooks.....and even at a 10 hook it looks like it will still be about 28" wide. I went to Joanns and they only had two small balls of white in sz 20. mostly only had sz 10 thread.

Then I was thinking about graphing out one with their names and wedding date and a few small flowers around the edge but even that would be huge with the sz 20 thread.

Maybe tomorrow I will stop at AC moore and see if they have sz 20 or 30 thread. My problem is that their anniversary is Memorial Weekend so I need to really get going if I am changing the design now. In the meantime I will keep going on the original one just in case......I so prefer working with yarn, lol. But, I am enjoying the filet aspect of it. :-)

Edc will give you more of a true square. Dcs tend to be rather short and squatty. (is that really a word ? :)

I do NOT suggest using a size 10 hook with size 10 thread. It's just simply too small.

You'd be amazed at how much thread is really on a #20 ball.

Thanks RoseRed.....I went to AC Moore today and they had sz 20 and 30....I bought 2 balls of sz 30, aye yi yi! It is so tiny. I have been meaning to get my eyes checked cause I think I need glasses, and boy, after a couple rows with such tiny thread and hook, I am REALLY going to need glasses, lol.

I didn't get it at Joanns the other day cause they only had the two really small balls and I didn't want to run out and not be able to get more. AC Moore had a bunch of it :-)

Ok, so I am 2 rows into this design again. It is definitely a much better size. Will do a few more and figure out what the finished dimensions should be.

Yesterday I also got some alphabets online and graphed out their names and wedding date. I am still trying to decide on a border....I was thinking of surrounding it with some of the roses that are in this design or looking up something else. We'll see...if I can decide on something quickly I can do both, or I may just work on one and save the other for a later occasion.

I'll post pics as I progress. Thanks for all the advice.....oh, and Rose, "squatty" is definitely a word in my opinion, lol :-)

Best of luck with the new hook and thread, it sure makes you realize it's time for an eye checkup, lol! I have used one of those magnifiers that hang off my neck and rests on my chest for teeny work like this, it helped a lot.

I'd still try to finish the one you started, especially since it's so beautiful and you've done so much work on it. Even in this triangle shape, if you added an edge on the top, I bet it would be beautiful on a dresser or a table against a wall. Does Mom have a buffet or credenza? (not sure what they are calling those dining room pieces of furniture these days)

I love that you're so creative and changing up the design, too. Keep us posted on how this is going.

You are doing beautiful work and if their table is 4' wide and your doily is 30" it should fit nicely in the middle. I love doing filet crochet and I usually have to us a size 5 hook with #10 thread to get the size I need because I crochet a tight stitch.

I just read thru this again. You said the store had 2 small balls. Do you remember the brand name? If it was Cebelia - those small balls have a HUGE amount of thread on them (believe it or not). It's also an amazing thread to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am on the homestretch! Only 26 rows left out of 125, then to figure out how to block it.....not my favorite thing to attempt! lol I went with size 30 thread and a 10 hook. Man, is it tiny! Sometimes made my eyes go buggy, but I have been working on it every single spare second to get it done in time. My parents' 40th anniversary party is this weekend so wanted to get it done. I will post a pic when I am done :-) Thanks for all the support!

FINISHED!!! I posted a pic in the Show and Tell section. I am pleased with it. Although it was my first time blocking and I think it could be better. My mother may end up reblocking it after I give it to her so the edges will look better. Thank you all for the help!

Archived